We had Organic Sloppy Joes for dinner tonight and everyone loved it, I’ll have to make it more often. I used Megan’s Mom, Jo’s recipe, only I made it with organic ingredients. It was so easy! You may already have an easy Sloppy Joe recipe, but just in case, here’s a good one:
Jo’s Sloppy Joes, Organic version…
- 1 # ground beef, browned (I used ground beef with heart for extra nutrition – no taste difference, honest!)
- 1 onion, organic if possible, chopped small and in the pan with the ground beef you’re browning
- 1 green pepper, chopped small, organic if you can find it (you may want to omit this if you have picky kids), add to the ground beef & onions and cook until the meat is no longer pink
Add the next ingredients and stir until heated through:
- 1 c. ketchup, organic is best so you can avoid high fructose corn syrup
- 1 T. mustard, we use so little of this that I don’t buy it organic – besides, the ingredient label is very very short
- 1 T. raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 T. maple syrup, organic cane sugar, or other natural sweetener
- Optional (Meg says it’s good this way, but kids don’t like it): 1/4 t. cloves
To make it even more yummy, spread butter on the insides of the bun and broil face up for a few minutes until golden. This gives it a delicious toasted top. Kent also likes his with pickles and cheese.
Note: our family loves these so much that I am now cooking 3# of burger when I make it!
- More Main Dish Recipes
- Do you have a pre-teen daughter? Read this before taking her to get the Gardasil shot!
- Healthy Milk Options
photo by wordridden