Stuffed Cucumbers (Keto Appetizer Bites)
Our friends brought these stuffed cucumbers over one night and I couldn't stop eating them, but yet I didn't have to feel a bit of guilt! Now they're my easy go-to appetizer when I'm trying to “be good” about eating keto (I go in streaks — just being real with you here). It's nice having something to snack on that is SO tasty and super satisfying too. It just helps limit the temptation to nibble on all of the other options that are not so keto-friendly. The delicious herbed cheesy filling hits the spot every time.
(Remember that “eating keto” is basically just a very low-carbohydrate diet, low enough so you stay “in ketosis” which means your body is using up your fat for fuel instead of using the carbs you're eating as it normally would.)
Yield 1 platter full
- 3-4 cucumbers, peeled if desired, but sometimes I'll leave strips of the skin on for decoration (note that I don't always get these organic, since cucumbers are usually a ways down on the Dirty Dozen list, currently #20, and the skin usually is peeled off)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened (I buy this organic cream cheese from pastured cows)
- 1 package of goat cheese (sometimes I buy the herbed variety) OR Feta cheese is good too
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon of parsley, chopped
- Sea salt, pepper, paprika -- to sprinkle on top, if desired
- Optional: cherry tomatoes, see the photo below the recipe
Cut off the tops and bottoms of the cucumbers and slice in half length-wise. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon like this:
Mix the other ingredients together -- this is a very versatile recipe, just use the herbs and seasonings you like, however much depending on how mild or flavorful you like it. We like a lot, but I switch it up every time I make it depending on what I have on-hand. Stuff the "boats" with the cheese mixture. Slice into bite-sized pieces for serving and place on a platter.
If you have extra cheese leftover, it's a great dip for celery, crackers, tortilla chips, etc.
Did you make a real food recipe?
Here's a picture of how I made it one time with halved cherry tomatoes on top too, this adds even more fun flavor!
More keto recipes you might like:
- This keto cheese sauce feels like you're cheating but you're NOT!
- Simple Taco Soup — this is a nice keto meal OR could be a vegetarian dish too, it's so versatile, you can add or remove different ingredients to fit it to your family's palate or special diet!
- Keto Salmon Dip (Or NOT Keto!) — if you like salmon, you'll LOVE this dip. 🙂
More you might like:
- Getting Teens to Eat Real Food — What One Teen *Really* Thinks and How to Win Teens Over.
- NOT into eating Keto? Then try these, they're SO good: Little Better for You Smore Bars — 5 Ways these BEAT a Smore Any Day!