Stir-Fry with Beef or Chicken–kids love this recipe!
I told you in my meal plan from the other day that tonight was stir-fry night. I had planned to use round steak to save a trip out to the farm, but that would’ve been tough and not so great in this, so thankfully I remembered I had a couple good flank steaks in the freezer. You can keep this grain-free, it's really good and flavorful on its own, or if you need to fill up the family, serve over pasta or rice.
This is great way to use some of those delicious veggies from your garden or the farm market in the summertime–it's so fast and simple, I almost didn't post it because most people probably already make something similar. If you do, please share your variations in the comments below!
Stir-Fry with Beef or Chicken
- 1/4 cup avocado oil or ghee or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons creamy peanut butter, optional --for a "thai" flavor, organic is best
- 1/2 cup fermented soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, or more to your taste
- 2 teaspoons of palm sugar
- 1 Tablespoon mild curry paste (or leave this out if you don't want that flavor, just add extra of the other seasonings, you can't screw this up), my curry paste also had cumin & cilantro in it — note that the kind I used didn't have any questionable ingredients, but the ones I see online have stuff I do NOT like, such as canola oil (yuck), so be sure to check your ingredient labels.
- 2 pounds or so Meat of your choice-- pastured meats are best. This is good with steak or chicken! Pork would be good too. Or even meatless is good!
- Whatever veggies you have on hand that your family likes-- cut into bite-sized pieces: broccoli, asparagus, green beans, carrots, peppers, cabbage, green onions, tomatoes, summer squash, regular onions (you might caramelize these first in some pastured butter or ghee!), mushrooms, corn, kale, etc.
- 16 ounces Pasta of your choice or about 2 cups uncooked rice), I like Einkorn pasta these days--this is good grain-free too with just the meat and veggies!
- If using, start cooking your pasta (or rice) following the package directions so it will be ready at the end of the recipe. (I cook rice in broth for extra nutrients.)
- Cook the meat in the leftover oil (add more if needed), along with the first 8 sauce ingredients above.
- Add back in the veggies and the rice or pasta and stir it all together. Add more sauce ingredients as needed, and enjoy!
Here are 3 different photos of 3 different times I made it:
Surprisingly the kids were all over this. We also had fermented carrots and leftover squash with it. This is another picture from when I made it with chicken strips and whole wheat spaghetti pasta. Though this Stir-Fry with Beef or Chicken is really good, the kids probably like the flank steak best! We had it over rice, so it was gluten-free.
More you might like:
- More Recipe Ideas
- Meal Planning Help:
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are (traditional, GF, paleo, vegetarian)… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you. NOW recipes also available from Nom Nom Paleo, The Paleo Mom, and Wellness Mama all in one spot! You can read over my review here.