Good morning reader friends, here is the latest greatest of the real foodie favorites, and most are my own besties, too:
- My favorite all natural unrefined sweetener these days: palm sugar (also called coconut sugar)
- The following books are still hot:
- Jenny's Nourished Kitchen
- Kristen's Beautiful Babies
- Sarah's Get Your Fats Straight
- Sally's Nourishing Traditions
- The GAPS Diet for healing any health issues related to your gut (which is everything, basically)
- Danelle's Have Your Cake and Lose Weight Too!: Slim Down & Heal Your Body While Eating Delicious Fats, Carbs, & Real Whole Food
- It seems that Coconut Oil is finally catching on more and more these days as people realize what a superfood it is. I use it for cooking a few things (like popcorn or chocolate fudge candy), but especially love it topically just on my skin or to use for oil pulling (more about that later).
- Gelatin from grassfed cows – great for adding to broths that don't gel up well, or for making homemade jello!
- Of course my favorite pan is still hot because I talk about it all of the time here – it cleans up so well, is big enough to only have to dirty one pan, and is stainless steel, so no nasty Teflon is by your food!
- I love this ice cream maker, especially in the summer, obviously, because it helps me talk the kids out of the disgusting junk on the loud ice cream trucks that go by when I say, “Let's just make our own today!”
- These are a few of my favorite products to help make a better cup of coffee – read more here about Redeeming My Morning Coffee. Unbleached coffee filters, ceramic cone for pour-over coffee (it tastes so good this way), stainless coffee percolator (also tastes much better than other coffee) for when we want more than one cup.
- I have a new post coming out soon about this Magnesium Oil – so many of us are deficient and probably don't even realize the different health issues it can cause. The best way to supplement is with this topical spray. This book might help, too: The Magnesium Miracle.
- Two of the best probiotics have been on a roll: Biokult and Garden of Life, so consider those if you're looking for a good one. For kids I recommend these brands.
Tropical Traditions website has information on coconut palm sugar that is not positive. If you haven’t read it, I think you would be interested in what they say on the glycerin index studies and the environmental impact and concerns with this product. I would love your opinion on this article, at Tropicaltraditions.com.
I love your blog! I am a long time follower and have learned so much from you. Thank you!
Have you seen this post from Sarah?
Kelly, I got some ground cardamom after reading on Peoples Pharmacy that it is anti spasmodic. I have swallowing problems . It was mentioned as good for high BP, which I have had at times. I also read that young women are more apt to react to stress with higher BP. You and Kent may enjoy a quarter teaspoon in with coffee grounds or tea bags.
Thanks I’ll look into it! 🙂
The Great Lakes Gelatin that you like sounded so good until I read one of the comments under one of the 5 star Amazon reviews. It said that this product actually comes from GMO-fed cows, and that these cows are injected with rBGH, and given antibiotics. And that when you call the company asking questions about this, they will say various this to hide the truth without directly answering your questions. The commenter also said this: It’s a pity this company allows their affiliates (people they pay to sell the product for them) to lie to people and pretend “it’s as good as organic but too expensive to certify so we pass the savings onto you the customer” (bloggers will tell you that, Great Lakes won’t but they allow this charade to go on). Thought you’d like to know this, so you can check this product out more completely. 🙂
oh no! I had not heard this before. Disappointing.
Yes, I contacted the company and was also told their gelatin was no longer from grass-fed animals
Oooooooh this ticks me off. I think I’ll call them too, just to see what answer I get…
Hey guys, here’s the brand I recommend now: https://kellythekitchenkop.com/grassfed-gelatin