Today I'm re-posting this baked macaroni and cheese recipe in honor of my Mom, who passed away recently. When cleaning out her house we came across the hand-written version that she sent me when I originally posted it:
My Mom is asked to make this baked macaroni and cheese recipe everywhere she goes, she's a great cook, unlike myself – I have to really work at it! She originally got the recipe from my Grandma (her mother-in-law), and adults and kids both love it. I made this for a meatless Friday during Lent and it turned out GREAT. I ended up making a huge pan and froze one for later — it reheats well.
Mona Lou's Famous Homemade Baked Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil or Avocado oil-- remember the olive oil you buy matters
- 3 1/2 cups Kroger elbow macaroni-- Mom said Grandma always insisted that it had to be Kroger brand…??? *These days I love Einkorn pasta and it always turns out just fine!
- 1 Tablespoon sea salt to go into the pasta water.
- Cold butter for greasing your dish, Mom uses a can of no-stick spray, but a cold stick of butter is just as easy and without the chemicals…Oh and pastured butter is always best… (Update, now there is a good no-stick spray option!)
- Sea salt & pepper to your taste.
- 2-8 ounce packages of shredded sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese (I often use regular cheddar if that's what I have).
- Milk – about 1-2 cups, preferably whole milk or cream for extra yumminess.
- Few slices of colby cheese for the top or more shredded cheese.
- 5 or 6 more pats of butter for the top.
- Use a cold stick of butter to grease a large 4 quart glass bowl or spray with baking spray. Or these days I often bake it in a big 10×14 stainless steel baking pan, because my favorite part is the browned cheese on top, and this way there is a lot more of the yummy cheese in each serving.
- Another way I do it is to put the macaroni back into the pan it cooked in, then add the salt, pepper, and cheese and about 1/2 cup cream or milk. Stir it in good and add more milk or cream for extra creaminess. This way you can get it just how you want it and THEN transfer to your baking dish. Add more cheese and butter on top.
- Bake 375*-400* for about 1 1/4 hours, depending on how hot your oven is – it should be just light brown on top.
More you might like:
- Here's an easy stovetop mac & cheese recipe, it's faster and still tasty, but FYI: our family still prefers Mom's baked macaroni and cheese recipe!
- Healthy snack ideas
- All about cod liver oil
- My “food conversion” story
- School lunches – healthy alternatives
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you! Also read over my review to see what I thought of it.