Good morning readers. It's been a rough few days around here since our close friends' teenage son died last week. If you could shoot up a prayer for his family, we'd really appreciate it.
- Lately we've been enjoying watching the birds on our feeders attached to the deck and want to buy a book about birds in our area, does anyone have a good one to recommend? Should we get one of these bird books, or one specific to Michigan birds? Don't you love this picture? The bird on the left is a woodpecker, we're pretty sure, but we don't know what the one on the right is… Anyone?
- Lent begins Wednesday, so if you need some meatless meal ideas, be sure to check out that complete list. 🙂
- I could really use your help on this one… A local TV station had a guest on one of their shows last week who said that Canola oil and vegetable oil have some health benefits. Of course I had a few things to say about that, and I'm hoping you'll go share your thoughts, too?!
- The other day at the store the lady next to me was looking at taco seasoning packets and seemed confused by the choices, so of course I said, “You know it's really simple to make your own, right? Those ones are full of junky ingredients.” I could tell she was interested and not just being nice to the weirdo (me). So I figured maybe some of you might want to know about this, too, if you don't already. Here's the recipe for Homemade Taco Seasoning, there's a single batch recipe and a recipe for making a jar full to have on hand. Do you ever share your nutrition advice with complete strangers in the store like I tend to?
- We had my family over to celebrate some birthdays Saturday and I used a whole bunch of that homemade seasoning to make waaaaay too much chicken for tacos, so we'll be eating that for a while. (Anyone else make too much food on a regular basis?) I also made our favorite guacamole to go with it. Here's something else we had that doesn't really go with tacos and is better in the summertime, but I was hungry for it: caprese salad.
- Wow, last week when the story came out about the lunchroom Nazi it sure made everyone really upset, and with good reason! Here's a link to the news clip if you missed my post over on Facebook.
- Another blurb that I posted on Facebook is one I thought you non-FBers would enjoy so I'm including it here. (If you *are* a FBer, be sure to ‘like' my page so you don't miss any of this exciting stuff…) It started like this… The other day I got a screaming deal through Living Social for one room to be painted, including patching, and all the paint, for $89!!! After this guy got the first coat on our boys' bedroom, the poor dude made the mistake of telling me he was going to run to McDonald's for a quick lunch while it dried. I gasped and said, “Noooooo, please come have a seat and I'll see what I can whip up for you.” I fried him up a quesadilla (spelt flour, fried in coconut oil) and gave him one of my kefir sodas, which he said he liked. 🙂 He asked how I made it and so I told him that the link is on my site. “What's the name of your site?” When I told him he said, “Well that fits!” Then I gave him some homemade cookies so he didn't think I was too much of an oddball. His words, “Well, if you're odd, at least you're a nice odd. Yesterday the lady I painted for yelled at me for 2 solid hours.” We had some really good chats, he seemed open, probably because he was already doing a lot right and was willing to learning more. Either that or he was just humoring me. It turns out he raises his own chickens and ducks for eggs, but he skips breakfast and usually lunch, too! He gets pork from his neighbor who raises his own pigs, so I encouraged him to throw some bacon grease in a pan and fry a couple eggs each morning. He said, “I can do that…” 🙂
- Local readers, I'd love to meet you! Come to our local WAPF chapter meeting this Tuesday where we'll have all sorts of cultured food samples for you to try! I'm bringing my kefir soda. Details are here. (Be sure to find me after and introduce yourself!) Not local? Find your local chapter here.
- If you live in Wisconsin, consider attending the rally in support of Vernon Hershberger.
Have a great week!