Good morning readers! Guess what I worked on this weekend? A grain-free pumpkin cheesecake bar recipe – I totally made it up myself and knew that there was a good chance it would end up being a Kitchen Kop Food Flop, but it was so good! I'll post it soon. (Have you tried the pumpkin pie ice cream recipe yet? Or the grain-free pumpkin pancakes I posted last week?) Share your favorite fall recipes in the comments! Speaking of fall, the days have been gorgeous around here lately, I wish I could share the smell of fall for those of you who don't get to enjoy this season where you live. There's nothing like it.
On to today's links!
- Here's a great post from Lydia & Jo-Lynne: How to get your kids to eat healthy. I've written a few things on this topic, too: Wish your kid would stop complaining about the food? and Have you ever fed 5 kids a healthy breakfast in 5 minutes? (More posts on feeding kids here.) Do you have any tips on getting your kids to eat healthy? We all need more of those, so please share in the comments!
- Are any of you Michiganders enjoying the sports around here lately? Michigan, Michigan State, Detroit Lions, Detroit Tigers, and Detroit Red Wings are ALL having great seasons. I'm not really into sports, but Kent said the buzz is huge because of the ongoing economy in Michigan, “It's just so hard out there. This gives people something to get excited about.” (He's been really stressed at work, jumping through hoops for clients and going crazy keeping everyone happy. I worry about him…) UPDATE: Kent tells me the Tigers are done, and he's sad that Michigan State beat Michigan on Saturday. Oh boy, I just checked and looks like Lions were beat today, too. So much for something to be excited about. I think the Red Wings are still doing well, though…? 🙁
- Speaking of Michigan, thank you Ren of Edible Aria for sharing the following video about the great things happening in Detroit, Michigan:
Urban Roots Trailer from Tree Media on Vimeo.
- Did you see this WAPF alert last month? A large European study has found–once again–that children who drink raw milk have less asthma and allergies. This is not big news to WAPF members, but the really big news is that the findings were publicized in a September 13, 2011 Reuters Health press release, with worldwide circulation. Of course the article contained the usual warnings about the dangers of raw milk when we have no records of raw milk killing a single child, while asthma is a life-threatening disease that kills thousands of individuals each year. In the U.S., more than seven percent of adults and even more kids have asthma, causing millions of visits to emergency rooms and doctors' offices every year. SOURCE: Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, online August 29, 2011. Article posted here.
- Speaking of asthma, I'm going to repost something I shared a while back: How and why we walked away from the allergists. Melissa tells about the low-fat diet that was supposed to help them all get healthier, but they ended up with damaged teeth, weekend bones, a child with asthma, and others in the family with respiratory issues; they became overweight and had frazzled nerves, depression, and fatigue. “We began to suspect that the ‘diet’ experiment we were trying was failing all of us.” (Read more about healthy fats and the big saturated fat MYTH.)
Have a great week!