Do you ever crave REAL homemade strawberry milkshakes?
When driving recently with our five year old, he spotted a billboard from a popular fast food joint and said, “I want that, Mom!” I said, “You want a strawberry milkshake?” “Yeah, with whipped cream and a cherry, too!”
I thought to myself, “I can do that.”
So I did.
My recipe doesn't have the junky ingredients or fillers found in fast food shakes (see the list below), and they even have some good nutrients from the raw dairy (if you have access to raw cream) and raw eggs.
This is what's in the fast food strawberry milkshakes:
- Vanilla Reduced Fat Ice Cream: Milk, sugar, cream, nonfat milk solids, corn syrup solids, mono- and diglycerides, guar gum, dextrose, sodium citrate, artificial vanilla flavor, sodium phosphate, carrageenan, disodium phosphate, cellulose gum, vitamin A palmitate.
- Strawberry Syrup: Sugar, water, corn syrup, strawberries, high fructose corn syrup, natural (botanical source) and artificial flavors, pectin, citric acid, xanthan gum, potassium sorbate (preservative), caramel color, calcium chloride, red 40.
- Whipped Cream: Cream, nonfat milk, water, corn syrup, sugar, high fructose corn syrup, mono-and diglycerides, carrageenan, polysorbate 80, beta carotene (color), natural (dairy and vegetable source) and artificial flavor, mixed tocopherols (vitamin E) to protect flavor. Whipping Propellant (nitrous oxide).
- Maraschino Cherry: Cherries, water, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, sugar, malic acid, citric acid, natural (plant source) and artificial flavors, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), red 40, sulfur dioxide (as a preservative).
Scary, isn't it? Try this Real Food homemade strawberry shakes instead:
Homemade Strawberry Milkshakes
- 4 pastured egg yolks well Wondering about eating raw egg yolks?
- 2 cups real cream preferably raw, but for sure not ultra-pasteurized.
- 1-2 Tablespoons real maple syrup or another natural sweetener.
- 2-3 cups frozen strawberries preferably organic
- Real whipped cream
- 1 scoop of this collagen for extra protein and nutrition!
- Cherry that's optional, but I suggest a fresh one since the ones in the jar from the store have RED food dye, SICK, and nasty preservatives.
- Blend 4 pastured egg yolks well – (I use my Bosch blender). Then add cream, your sweetner, strawberries. Make sure to blend until strawberries and cream are nice and thick (about a minute or two). Pour into glasses and add a dollop of whipped cream and/or a cherry, if you'd like.
Do you make other flavors of homemade milkshakes? If so, tell us how you do it in the comments. 🙂
More posts you may not have seen:
- Soy protein shakes, almond milk, and other fake foods people think are good for them.
- Fast food healthy options!
- Did you love this recipe? Try my Orange Cream Cooler!