It's snowing as I write this, so it's not exactly ice cream weather here in Michigan, but when you have kids (and you're a dessert-aholic like myself), any day is good for ice cream. Since this is Kent's favorite flavor, I decided it was time to use some of the strawberries in my freezer. As I explained in the vanilla/chocolate ice cream post, this is a dessert, yes, but full of nutrients! Only 3/4 cup of sweetener (real maple syrup) in the whole batch, not too bad as desserts go.
If anybody out there knows of an ice cream maker bigger than a 2 quart, please let me know!
Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
For Step One (see instructions):
- 3 cups fresh or frozen thawed ripe strawberries, sliced
- 4 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice about 1 medium (I use organic lemons when I can find them)
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup
- 2 egg yolks Be sure you use good quality eggs from a local farmer who raises healthy pasture-fed hens…I wouldn't recommend eating raw eggs from the grocery store.
- 1/2 cup real maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon Arrowroot Flour looks like cornstarch only it's better for us
- 3 cups heavy cream/whipping cream preferably raw, but for sure NOT ultra-pasteurized (FYI: lately I've been making it with 2 1/2 cups cream and 1 cup raw milk to get some healthy bacteria and other goodies in there, and I love it even more!)
- Reserved juices
- 1/2 of the mashed strawberries
- Combine berries, lemon juice, and maple syrup and stir gently. Let set for 2 hours (or overnight) – I never think to do this part ahead like I'm supposed to, though, and just skip that step and it's still good. Strain the berries, reserving juices. Mash or puree half the berries.
- Mix remaining ingredients together. Pour into ice cream maker and process according to instructions. 5 minutes before mixing is complete, add the reserved sliced strawberries and let mix in completely.
I'd love to know which you think is better, this homemade strawberry ice cream, the chocolate ice cream, OR the vanilla ice cream? I thought this was the best strawberry ice cream I've ever had…but nothing beats chocolate in my world!
More you might like:
- Here's my complete listing of RECIPES
- You don't need to feel guilty about this dessert, but just in case you're interested, here's a listing of posts all about DIETING.
- Homemade Chocolate or Vanilla Ice Cream
- Another fairly low-carb and almost healthy dessert like this one: Crème Brule