I'm always looking for new ideas for easy appetizers to take to holiday get-togethers, or any party, so if you need more ideas too, this recipe for Bacon Water Chestnut Roll-Ups is a favorite and they always go fast! (Here’s a list of more appetizer ideas to look through too.)
You know I always have to add my ingredient notes…
Using the unrefined sugar I list below is a little better option vs. refined sugar, and buying pastured bacon (instead of grocery store bacon from factory farms) is much better, so you know it's meat that is actually good for you… bonus! (Have you seen this one? Does Grocery Store Meat Make You Fat? And how to SAVE on healthy meat)
Bacon Water Chestnut Roll-Ups
Yield 1 9x13 pan
- 1 can of whole water chestnuts, cut in half — I found these water chestnuts with only two ingredients: water chestnuts and water, no preservatives. I wasn’t sure what water chestnuts were, so I looked it up — they're a vegetable. 🙂
- 1 package of bacon, cut in half – preferably from a farmer you trust who raises animals out on pasture. (Find healthy meat here if you don't have a good local option.)
- 1 1/4 cup organic ketchup (or try this homemade ketchup)
- 1/2 cup palm sugar
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons fermented soy sauce/Tamari
Wrap a half piece of bacon around water chestnut halves and put a toothpick through it. Place in an ungreased 9×13 baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes at 375*. Meanwhile, stir the last three ingredients together to make a homemade barbecue sauce. Remove roll-ups from the pan and drain the grease out. Dip the roll-ups in sauce and place them back into the pan. Bake another 30 minutes.
NOTE: These are easy to make ahead! You can do everything but the last 30 minutes of baking, and then keep them in the fridge until you’re ready to eat. Just take them wherever you’re going and bake that last 30 minutes so they’re fresh from the oven.
We love these!
Did you make a real food recipe?
There's more you can do with bacon as an appetizer besides making the bacon water chestnut roll-ups:
- Here's another post for bacon-wrapped shrimp and bacon-wrapped hotdogs, Mmmmmm…
- Or these Bacon Pineapple Rollups
- Crescent Roll Pizza Pinwheels + Tasty Variations: Bacon Spinach Pinwheels & Mushroom Parmesan Pinwheels