In my opinion, this is the best broccoli salad recipe with grapes, or with anything at all that you want to throw in here. I'll give you a bunch of tasty ideas that are all SO good and you can choose from whatever you have on-hand, or whatever sounds good at the time! Don't let this freak you out though, truly any combo will be delicious, it's impossible to screw up this recipe.
But if you just want a simple recipe to follow without having to think or decide about ingredients, that's below, with the variations in parenthesis…
Best Broccoli Salad Recipe with Grapes or other yummy options
- 3 bunches fresh broccoli cleaned and chopped, and removing most of the stems — note that if you eat broccoli a lot, it should be steamed at least a little, otherwise it will block absorption of certain nutrients. I like it crunchy for this salad, though so I don't steam it for this recipe… (You might also add some cauliflower!)
- 1 big bunch of organic green or purple seedless grapes halved (options instead of or in addition to the grapes: 1 cup or more raisins, golden raisins, dried cherries, or dried cranberries, oranges or apples cut into bite-sized pieces are good too! Be sure to toss the apples in some lemon juice first so they won't get brown.) Mix and match any of these for more flavor.
- 1/2-3/4 white onion chopped small (or a bunch of green onions, chopped small)
- 3/4 cup celery chopped small
- 2 Tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar or lemon juice — see note below about the sugar
- 1 cup mayo – click that link for my recipe — again see note below about the sugar
- 1/3 cup organic cane sugar or palm sugar — NOTE that if you're doing a Whole30 dietor some other diet that restricts sugar make the mayo above, but in place of the lemon or ACV and sugar that it calls for, use a tasty balsamic vinegar instead. You can use a little extra and totally skip the sugar this recipe calls for!
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons fermented soy sauce or coconut aminos for a soy-free option
- Optional: Crispy almonds or pecans or I also love pistachios I usually buy them already shelled or roasted sunflower seeds
- Optional: 1 pound bacon crisp-fried, crumbled — from your local pasture-based farmer if possible. Or if you don't have a good source, click here for an online source for safe healthy meat.
- Chop and prepare the ingredients. Get a kid to help, it goes faster! Add the veggies, fruit, onions, and celery to a bowl. Mix together the apple cider vinegar, mayo, sugar and soy sauce or coconut aminos. Pour over the salad and toss well to make sure all the yummy dressing covers all the broccoli. If you're not serving until later, only mix in half of the dressing now, and half before serving. Chill in the fridge.
- Before serving, add the nuts and bacon and toss together, or let people add those on top themselves.
More you might like: