As you probably know by now, I’m always trying to find ways to get more homemade stock into our meals – they are chock full of minerals, which most of us are in dire need of. (Read more about the benefits of homemade stock.)
This stove-top chicken & rice was super simple and I know you’ll love it. It’s another great day-after-a-big-chicken-dinner kind of meal. It took very little time to make, but you do need to allow the time for the rice to cook.
- 6 cups chicken stock
- Cooked, chopped chicken (however much you have leftover)
- 2 cups organic brown rice or germinated brown rice
- Sea salt & pepper and other herbs as desired
- Optional: peas, corn, asparagus or carrots chopped small (I used frozen), whatever you’d like
- Sometimes I’ll add some real cream (never buy ultra-pasteurized) to make it extra dreamy
In a medium saucepan, combine the stock, chicken, & brown rice. (You can add a little more rice if you’d like less liquid in the final product, but we like there to be some liquid leftover when it’s done cooking – it soaks up a lot. Even by the time I took the above picture, most of the liquid had been absorbed.) Bring to a boil, stir once, turn the heat down to low, then cover and don’t peek for about 50 minutes. Taste to see if the rice is done, and continue cooking until it’s just right. Add plenty of sea salt and pepper to your taste – this step is key – get this right and everyone will love it. If you like it “confetti style”, add some chopped veggies and cook ‘til tender.
- Eating healthy on a BUDGET
- Have you seen this pudding post? Comparing “Jello” pudding to organic pudding.
- More MAIN DISH RECIPES
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you! Also read over my review to see what I thought of it.