The Perfect Raw Milk Pour Spout

August 16, 2013 · 12 comments

Raw Milk Pour Spout

Looking for the perfect raw milk pourer?

I’ve got the best readers anywhere.  No really I do.  They are real foodies with a big heart for helping others on this journey.  Anna, a reader friend from nearby Muskegon, sent me this email recently.raw milk pourers

I just wanted to show you a hack I made for our raw milk.  I had actually been transferring my milk into plastic gallon water jugs, but that gets old week after week.  I have seen others on pinterest using orange juice cartons to make pour spouts for the wide mouth mason jars.  I really wanted to buy the Recap lids, but they are too expensive for me, so I looked around the house and realized that these sippy cup lids are around the same size as the wide mouth jars.  They are inexpensive and even come with a little spout cover.

I took the lids and just shaved off a little of the lip with a very sharp razor blade.  Just enough so that I can still tighten the ring around it. You don’t want to shave too much because it helps it stay leak proof and helps the ring hold it in place. I then took the razor blade and cut off enough of the spout to be able to pour milk through it. The one in the picture is the first one I made so it looks a little funky,  With a little practice they did turn out a neater. :-)  Tada:  Pour spout!

I am hoping this will help someone else. Have a great day!”

Thanks Anna!  If you have any great real foodie tips to share, please email me!  Kelly@KellytheKitchenKop.com.milkbook_thumb.jpg

1 Margaret Auld-Louie August 16, 2013 at 12:38 am

This is what I use to dispense my raw milk, not having sippy cup tops (as I don’t have children), nor do I drink orange juice so I don’t have cartons to cut out and put on top of the mason jars:

It holds a little over 1/2 gallon raw milk. The wide top makes it easy to pour the milk into it from the 1/2 gallon mason jar it comes in.

2 Jennifer S August 16, 2013 at 7:19 pm

That’s what we used to use when we bought our milk directly from the farmer. It’s a great jug. We had to bring our own containers to the farmer (who, by law, wasn’t allowed to sell in her own containers). Now we live in California, so we buy Organic Pastures’ milk, and the jug has been given the new job of holding water from our filter in the fridge.

3 Colleen B August 16, 2013 at 12:55 am

Clever idea! We found the reCAP WIDE-MOUTH Mason Jar Pour Caps on amazon.com and LOVE THEM! They are a little pricey, but it means I can just use the 1/2 gallon wide mouth jars. They seem to be air tight so my milk generally stays good for 2+ weeks. I actually put one of them on when I about to start using a new jar, until then we use the white plastic wide mouth jar lids (since it doesn’t really touch the milk).

4 Chris August 16, 2013 at 2:04 am

Yeah that was such and awesome idea!!! I will have to totally use it.

5 Martha August 16, 2013 at 10:29 am

Great idea! Thank you.

6 Kenn August 16, 2013 at 10:58 am

@Colleen, I’d seen the reCAP lids a while back and thought the price was a bit much for a little bit of molded plastic with a pour spout. I just went back in to Amazon to refresh my knowledge of the high price and also checked out the reviews, especially the lower rated ones. There were issues with that cap leaking around the jar top and complaints of the spout cap not staying up. One of the reviewers mentioned a product called BlenderBottle which might be a better option for a recloseable bottle top if you just want that top as I do. They are described as being large mouth size, but I couldn’t confirm that. Price is about comparable to the reCAP, but you get a BPA free bottle with it.

Good that you’re getting over 2 weeks + on your milk! We can get over 3 from our dairy as long as the milk remains in the same bottle when filled, and also not shaken or disturbed. Just into the third week, any milk that we use, we will remove most of the cream from the top before using. The cream seems to act as a protective layer to keep the milk fresh and sweet. It’s usually still good for coffee, though occasionally it will cause sediment to form in the bottom if it’s too far gone. There also may be some sour odors noticed a day or two after this older milk begins to be used, but that seems to be from the remaining cream film on the jar surface. If I get concerned whether the milk is still sweet and drinkable beyond the smell, I’ll pour some off into a cup to sample. Beyond the freshness at that point, then I’ll be time for pancakes.

@Kelly, That sippycup top option seems to be a good inexpensive solution. Since we use the large mouth jars for raw milk also, the drip factor has been working my brain overtime trying to find this cheap suggestion. Either Ball or Mason used to make a small mouth bottle years ago designed for juices or other canned liquids which had a plastic spout lid included with the dozen box. I don’t know where my tops went to but they worked great for liquids.

7 Tracy August 16, 2013 at 11:26 am

I have some recaps. I have found that if you tighten them really well, there isn’t a leakage problem, but you have to make sure they are tightened down really well. I’ve solved the issue with cap falling down when pouring by turning the jar slightly before pouring so the cap isn’t right about the spout when pouring.

8 Tracy August 16, 2013 at 11:21 am

I bought Homestead Creamery buttermilk in glass half gallon size jugs a few times. You pay a deposit fee of a couple of dollars for them, but instead of returning the jugs for a refund, I kept them. They work perfectly for raw milk and have a handy handle for pouring, which is really nice for the kids.

9 Chris August 16, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Wait a minute how the heck do you folks get milk to last 2 or 3 weeks…I am lucky in my house if it will last a week. I doubt it will last much longer then that for we LOVE milk and have gone with out for years. Now with raw being available, it’s ON! LOL!

10 Carie August 16, 2013 at 7:04 pm

I bought a pack of three of those reCap’s, and they ARE nice, but much, much too expensive and I don’t even think they are BPA free. I wish I had seen this before I bought them! I think it was Healthy Home Economist where I saw someone else was doing something similar with the cardboard top of a Morton’s Pour Spout salt container (for dry pourable items).

11 Chris August 16, 2013 at 8:06 pm

HEY there’s another KILLER idea, Morton’s or equivalent container used for a pour spout for mason jars. ROCK-ON MASON JARS, YO!

12 kenn August 24, 2013 at 1:47 am

I previously posted with a comment about a product called BlenderBottle as a possible option for a large mouth bottle pour spout. I saw a whole rack of them in the local MallWart this afternoon. Unfortunately, the diameter of a large mouth bottle is different than the BlenderBottle. I did find the sippy cup tops which fit very well on a large mouth bottle. The spout does need some trimming to open it up so it flows for pouring. An Exacto-knife with a new sharp blade does a great job on the thin plastic.