Do you love orange cranberry muffins?
Our 8 year old wanted to try making orange cranberry muffins the other day and I had everything we needed, so we threw together this quick version and they turned out really goooood! All 24 were gone by the next morning. I used my usual method of combining a few different recipes depending on what I had on hand and what I thought would be a good combo of nutrition and deliciousness. Even though this isn't a recipe using soaked grains (read more about why soaked, sprouted or sourdough grains are better for us here), I did use real food ingredients like these:
- Einkorn flour, one of my favorite alternative grains – we don't use much conventional wheat these days. (Read more about einkorn flour here: could THIS be the cause of the gluten sensitivity epidemic?)
- Organic oranges, since citrus crops are usually heavily sprayed with chemicals.
- Unrefined natural sugar, which is why these muffins are darker in color than the ones you might have had in the past.
- Organic cranberries, which are loaded with antioxidants whether organic or not, but I like organic because most berries are also heavily sprayed.
- And of course gads of my favorite real foodie ingredient: pastured butter! Why is it my favorite? Well, besides that it makes everything taste better, pastured fats are high in nutrients, AND healthy fats help lower the glycemic index of sugar and grains, which means they help to limit the huge blood sugar spikes that you normally get with those foods. (This is good not just for diabetics, but for all of us to limit weight gain and other nasties, cool, huh?)
Orange Cranberry Muffins
- 1 cup pastured butter
- Zest of 2 oranges preferably organic
- Juice of 5 organic oranges – I also added some of the pulp for more flavor
- 1 3/4 cup of your favorite natural sugar I like palm sugar
- 1.5-2 cups chopped cranberries – I used my food processor I use a 12 ounce bag of organic cranberries (easy to find in the produce section before Thanksgiving at our local store, I buy extra and keep them in my freezer so I have them all year when needed)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 cups organic einkorn flour or regular organic all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup plain whole milk yogurt or sour cream Never buy low-fat or non-fat anything, you know that by now, right?! If not, read more about healthy fats here!
- 4 eggs beaten
- More natural sugar for the top or some organic white cane sugar so it's a little prettier if desired
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter with sugar, zest, orange juice, and cranberries and bring to a light boil for 10-12 minutes. Let cool. Add the dry ingredients to a mixing bowl, we use my beloved Bosch, and stir together; then beat in the rest of the ingredients along with the cranberry/orange mixture once it's cool.
- Spoon into muffin cups or a buttered muffin pan. (I also made a few mini orange cranberry muffins.) Sprinkle sugar on top. Bake at 350*, or more like 335* if your oven runs hot like mine, for 13-15 minutes or so, just until the top feels set and it springs back when you push it a little.
Check out the pictures below: