It's been spring break here and a fun week of just hanging out with the kids and enjoying a variety of cheap-yet-fun activities around town. Today (Friday) we went to see the movie, “Hop”, it was very cute. (I took our own popcorn since this place has NO real butter! I wouldn't have done that normally, but today it wasn’t cheating them because the neighbor girls who went with us had bought the buckets that get you unlimited free popcorn. Although even without those I could tell them the truth, that we’re allergic to their cheap heart-killer vegetable oils, and that everyone is actually…) Earlier in the week we got to go up North for an over-nighter with Sonia and the boys to her parent's beautiful and relaxing cottage. We even got some SUN on our face while the kids happily drove the golf cart around for hours – does it get any better? 🙂 Tonight I’m taking the kids out to eat (Kent's at the Red Wings game with friends) to a local pizza place that uses fresh ingredients, and I have a $20 off coupon from Living Social.
For even more that may bore you to death (unless you’re Jo-Lynne), check out the cute shoes I found at the Hush Puppy store on clearance for $11! They look extra fun to me since I've been looking at my feet in these all winter (see below). And no, they're not Uggs, I’m too cheap for those, but you probably knew that from looking if you’re even a smidge more shoe savvy than I am. I got these for $5 at the Goodwill store last year and they're SO comfortable, so I don't even care too much that they're UG-LY! I'd like to find a cute pair (at a similar price!) for next winter. Any suggestions for where to look?
If anyone is still here after all that rambling, here’s what I found for you today…
- Well I went to that Mexican market that I learned about in last week’s Facebook conversation, and got a new tortilla press for only $12! I’ll let you know as soon as I try it out.
- Speaking of Jo-Lynne (mentioned above), my thanks go to her for finding this great Fox video – believe it or not, what this woman is saying is TRUE! (Read more about healthy REAL fats.)
- Melissa, from the Cellulite Analyst blog, linked this interesting post up last week called, “The Ultimate Anti-Cellulite Soup”. She shared this as a recap: “I've discovered an organ meat that has potent cellulite-healing properties. In Europe, they inject hyaluronidase (an enzyme that breaks up glucosaminoglycans in connective tissue) directly into cellulite in a common treatment known as mesotherapy. I did some digging to find out where hyaluronidase occurs in the traditional diet and the answer is quite funny: bovine testicles! Now it makes sense why everyone tried to feed me bull testicles in Africa. This happened on multiple occasions (although one time it was goat). Thought you might be interested in that Nourishing Traditions-esque tidbit. :)” Thanks Melissa!
- Did you see this? Hospital Errors May Occur in a Third of Admissions. But I stand by the sad truth that everyone is in danger of the crappy food patients are served in hospitals. Check out these related posts that got a surprising number of comments on them… This first one was written when I was at the hospital with my Mom: Corn Pops for Diabetics? The following post was written when I was in a huff about a flyer sitting on the tables in the hospital cafeteria: Hospital ‘Smart’ Recipe Substitutions.
- I have a new giveaway coming up very soon, so be sure to subscribe to the blog using the badge-shaped buttons over in the sidebar so you don’t miss anything!
- Remember I’m still taking questions (about anything at all) that I’ll answer only on my Kitchen Kop newsletter soon! 🙂 Email me: [email protected].
- Check out the interesting conversation on the Nourishing Our Children Facebook page about eating pork and why some cultures or religions forbid it. If you’ve ever wondered about this, Sandrine provides a lot of information.
- Have a great week!