But first, have you seen this post about hospital food: Corn Pops for Diabetics??? You won’t believe it.
It's a little triangular stand-up flyer that had a blurb titled, “We're now trans fat free” on one side; a disgusting looking recipe for “reduced fat cut-out cookies” on another side (it called for “soft-tub margarine”, nonfat yogurt, and egg substitute or egg whites, among other things); and on the third side was this…
“Smart Recipe Substitutions”:
- Instead of a whole egg…use 2 egg whites or 1/4 c. egg substitute. (FAKE eggs or eggs without the most nutritious part?! Gee, which one to pick?! Remember, eggs are a superfood!)
- Instead of solid shortening, butter, stick margarine…use fat-free yogurt, applesauce, pureed prunes, or soft-tub margarine with no trans fat. (Stick with butter for the healthy nutrients in this traditional fat!)
- Instead of whole milk or cream…use lowfat: 1%, 1/2%, or skim milk. (Why would you replace a REAL food the way God gave it to us in nature with an imitation that is harmful?! Read about healthy milk choices.)
- Instead of sour cream…use lowfat/nonfat sour cream or nonfat plain yogurt. (Gag me.)
- Instead of a buttered pan…use non-stick spray. (They're killing me! No, actually, they're killing all the people who are reading this stuff and believing it because they saw it at a hospital. Those aerosol cans have preservatives and/or fake chemicals! Have you ever seen real fats in a spray form? I use my real butter to butter ALL my pans.)
- Instead of buttermilk…use skim milk + 1 T. lemon juice or vinegar per cup. (I think you're getting the picture, I'll shut up now.)
- Instead of Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip…use light or non-fat varieties.
- Instead of Cream Cheese…use lowfat/nonfat cream cheese, yogurt cheese, or Neufchatel cheese. (Does anyone know what that last one is?)
- Instead of sugar…use Splenda or 1/3 less sugar. (Go with the 1/3 less sugar instead of the chemical laden fake sugars that can cause weight gain.) Read more on sugars and the best choices!
- Instead of salt…reduce by 1/2 in most recipes. (Just use sea salt, and get beneficial minerals, too!)
- Instead of gravy…chill drippings and skim fat off before making gravy. (And lose all that yummy flavor? No thanks. Besides, healthy traditional fats with your protein and carbs help your whole meal to digest easier, God gave them all to us for a reason.)
- Instead of nuts…reduce the quantity in recipes. (Last one, after this I really will zip it. For this one, try making crispy nuts, they're so good for you!)
OK guys, I can't wait to hear what you have to say about this one. Be sure to share your gross hospital food stories. (Don't we all have them?) It's a blast when you all get such great discussions going – you never know which posts will spark that, but it's fun when it happens. Sorry if I can't respond to all the comments (I'm still up with Mom at the hospital, and she's doing great, by the way), but I'm reading them all, and love hearing from you.
UPDATE: If these guys can do it, any hospital can!!!