The best egg roll in a bowl EVERRRRR
My friend, Mary Jo, is pretty much everyone's favorite cook. She has some heavy crosses to bear in her own life, but yet she's often cooking for others who are hurting too and taking meals around town to brighten someone's day. She reminds me a lot of my Mom in that way. 🙂
One day when I was over there, she whipped this up and I couldn't believe how flavorful it was — after I scarfed down a couple bowls, it was only then that I realized that it's a Keto-friendly recipe too and loaded with nutrients!
Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 4 Tablespoons avocado oil or sesame oil for frying, more as needed
- 1.5 sweet onions, conventional is ok with onions since they're not high on the Dirty Dozen list!
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup celery chopped small
- 1 pound Italian sausage, optional, from a farm you trust If you don't have a good source for local, safe meats, here's where I trust to buy pastured meats online.
- 2 Eggs, optional
- 1.5 Tablespoons organic brown sugar, you can certainly omit this, but adds a bit more flavor to the dish
- 1 big head cabbage chopped, green is fine or purple cabbage too, OR a bag of organic cabbage slaw works!
- 2 carrots grated, or again, a bag of organic julienned carrots
- 3/4 cup peas
- 1/2 cup fermented soy sauce
- 1-2 Tablespoons of your favorite Sriracha sauce
- About 1-2" fresh ginger grated (depends on how much you like)
- 4-5 shakes crushed red pepper more or less depending on how much of a spicy bite you like
- Sea salt and pepper -- but taste it first before adding salt to see if it needs it since soy sauce is salty.
- 1 -2 bunches green onions chopped
- 1/8 cup Toasted sesame seeds, optional
- 3 cups cooked rice, optional (if you're not watching your carbs or you want to fill your family up more) or another idea for a tasty filler: brush wonton wrappers with avocado or sesame oil and bake 'til crispy and serve on the side.
- Sauté onions and garlic in oil for 2-3 minutes or until starting to soften. (I use my favorite pan for this, if you don't have a big pan like that you may want to use a smaller cabbage or it won't all fit.) Add optional celery and cook another minute or two, keep heat medium-low so the onions or garlic doesn't burn. Brown optional sausage in that same pan. Once it's browned, if you're using eggs, clear an area in the middle of the pan and scramble them, then stir into the rest of the meat. Add sugar and stir around. Add cabbage, carrots, and optional peas, stir-fry for 5 minutes or longer until cabbage is wilted. This will really fill up your pan at first, but as it cooks it shrinks and will be easier to stir around. Add soy sauce, sriracha, ginger, and red pepper, sea salt and pepper, and stir around. Add more of any of those for more flavor as needed when you taste-test.
- Serve with green onions on top, plus optional roasted sesame seeds or crispy wontons. Serve over rice for those not eating low carb.
Thanks Mary Jo!
If you like this egg roll in a bowl recipe, here's more you might like:
- A complete list of my other Asian recipes
- A complete list of my other Keto-friendly recipes
- Regular egg roll recipe: Homemade Egg Rolls Fried in Healthy Fat