This Cheesy Sloppy Joe Noodle Bake recipe has been in my recipe box for years.
It's SO flavorful, the whole family goes crazy over it. It's also got sour cream and cream cheese in there, so really, how could it go wrong?! Plus I love recipes that you can make ahead and then just throw into the oven later. Once you assemble the ingredients, putting it together is pretty simple, too.
*Note that I'm on a ‘make-extra kick' around here, so this recipe is for TWO 9×13 glass pans PLUS one square.
For the extra pans, maybe one for the freezer and one for a friend, I used aluminum disposables pans, with parchment paper lining the bottom so the food isn't touching aluminum.
If you only want one pan, you could half this for an 11×14 sized pan or a really full 9×13. Note that it still may be too much for only one pan, so if so, just throw the extras into a bowl all together to heat up for lunch the next day. This doesn't even have to be baked–you can use a saucepan to heat up with a little milk or water in the bottom. Even if you only have extra of the noodle mixture leftover, that's still yummy on its own!
Want to make this a low-carb meal? There are two options:
- Either make it with your favorite low-carb noodles…
- Or I prefer to make a small pan (lined with parchment paper) or muffin cups with liners, and just layer the meat mixture, the cream cheese/sour cream mixture, and lots of cheese on top.
Cheesy Sloppy Joe Noodle Bake
- 32 ounces of whatever noodles you like – my favorites are einkorn pasta or spelt pasta. Some like this gluten-free pasta, or see the low-carb options above.
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sour cream-- I've seen some recipes call for cottage cheese instead.
- 1 Tablespoon chives or green onion, chopped
- Sea salt & pepper to your taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or more to your taste
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2.5 pounds ground beef-- we get it from our local farmer with 1/4# ground heart mixed with 3/4# ground beef, if you don't have a good local source you trust for grassfed meat, you could get it online here.
- 1 onion chopped, or 3 Tablespoons dried
- More sea salt and pepper for this meat mixture. amount to your taste
- 2 cans tomato paste
- 1/2 cup ketchup or tomato sauce
- 1 Tablespoon mustard
- 4 Tablespoons maple syrup (omit for low-carb)
- 3-4 cups shredded cheese, whichever kind you prefer — we like cheddar or mozzarella
- Brown the ground beef with onions.
- Cook pasta according to directions, drain.
- Toss the cream mixture with the pasta, add milk so that it's creamy; not runny, but not dry. Taste one. If it tastes blah, add more salt and pepper until it's dreamy—this is very important to make the whole thing taste really good.
- Spoon a layer of the pasta mixture into your buttered or parchment paper-lined pans, dollop half the meat mixture around the top.
- Spread the rest of the pasta around the top of the meat
- Now the other half of the meat mixture on that.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Now either cover well and label it for the freezer, put it into the fridge to bake later, or bake now.
- 350* until hot, about 20-30 minutes.
Let me know what you think & if you love this cheesy sloppy joe noodle bake too!
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are (traditional, GF, paleo, vegetarian)… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you. NOW recipes also available from Nom Nom Paleo, The Paleo Mom, and Wellness Mama all in one spot! You can read over my review here.