Even if you have picky vegetable eaters, most will still love this broccoli cheese casserole with crumb topping, it's creamy and so delicious! It's my favorite vegetable dish, and it’s even better as leftovers. It's so easy, too. It kills me to think that for YEARS I made this with Velveeta “Cheese-like product”, EWWW!
Broccoli Cheese Casserole with Crumb Topping
- 16 Tablespoon of butter, pastured butter is best
- 8 Tablespoons flour (unbleached white or Arrowroot Flour for a gluten-free dish – read more about arrowroot powder at this cookie post)
- 4 cups milk (read about the best milk options here)
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese (or more if you like it really cheesy)
- 12 ounces organic can cream of mushroom soup or homemade cream of mushroom soup (This can actually be left out, the last few times I've made this I just used the cheese sauce and it was still great!)
- sea salt
- garlic (either chopped fresh or garlic powder)
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar or other natural sugar (read more about best sugar options here)
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs or cracker crumbs (along with some herbs to your taste if desired – I’ve done it with and without and like both).
- About 4 cups of vegetables
Start by making a white sauce or “roux” by melting 8 Tablespoons of butter in a saucepan and then add in 8 Tablespoons of flour. Cook and stir for about a minute.
Then add in milk, pouring it slowly to avoid lumps, and keep stirring as it thickens. Once blended well, add in cheddar cheese, mushroom soup, salt, pepper, garlic and sugar – taste test as you go to see what it needs. If you get this cheese sauce right, the whole recipe will be delicious.
Remove from heat so it doesn't burn.
Meanwhile, get your broccoli cleaned and ready – I usually cut parts of the stems off.
Often I will also add in cauliflower and/or carrots, which I will lightly steam before assembling to bake, just until they are crisp-tender. Frozen broccoli doesn’t need to be steamed first because it gets done enough just in the oven – if it's fresh broccoli or if you like it really soft, you could steam it for a couple minutes; I like my carrots to still be just a smidge crunchy when they’re done, so I only steam them for a short time, too.
Butter a 8 1/2 x 11 glass baking dish. Place vegetables in the bottom and pour cheese sauce over the top. Bake 20-30 minutes at 350*. Meanwhile, melt 8 Tablespoons butter (or more if so desired!) and stir in about 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs or cracker crumbs. When the casserole has about 10-15 minutes left, sprinkle this on top and finish baking until crumbs are golden. Enjoy!
What’s your favorite hot vegetable dish? We all need new ideas for those, right?
More you might like:
- Here's a Grain-free Broccoli Cheese Casserole with Crumb Topping in case you need one
- And here's a low-carb broccoli cheeses soup recipe
Sick of planning meals and answering the question, “What am I going to feed these people?” No matter what kind of eater you are… Check out these affordable interactive easy-to-use meal plans where the work is done for you! Also read over my review to see what I thought of it.