The Best Probiotic for Gut Healing
Today I'm sharing my Twitter notes from Kiran Krishnan's talk about the gut microbiome and the best probiotic for gut healing. You'll also learn why other probiotic supplements are technically not even probiotics…
I told you last week that I was off to sunny California for the Shiftcon Conference and ohhhh how I loved the sunshine (it's snowy and freezing here in Michigan), but hanging with old friends and meeting new ones was the highlight!
At one of the dinners a guy sat down next to me. We didn't get a chance to talk because the speaker had already begun (Stonyfield founder, Gary Hirshberg), but later I found out he was movie/TV star, Ed Begley Jr. Obviously I'm not real observant or up on Hollywood stars because I didn't have a clue who it was until he spoke the next morning, ha! (Turns out he's quite the green guy.)
I have to say, though, that I was much more thrilled to finally meet Kiran, the microbiologist behind Just Thrive, and to hear him speak.
He's obviously intelligent, but he isn't all science-geeky when you talk with him. He's down to earth and actually really funny. He had the audience of mostly women cracking up about vaginas in his talk. Yes, you read that right, you'll see how in the world that came up below! (He's pictured in the top photo on the left with my friends from Just Thrive, which is truly the best probiotic for gut healing — more about that in a sec. Pictured are Tina, Julie, and Beth, and those are also our toes in the sand at Newport Beach–>heaven!)
Where to get it…
If you just want to know where to get Just Thrive, which is truly the best probiotic for gut healing (and this means it can make all the difference if you have anxiety/depression, digestive issues, auto-immune conditions, any allergies, or really any health issue), you can get that here — use code KOP for 10% off.
My Twitter notes from Kiran's talk about the gut microbiome and the best probiotic for gut healing:
- Older types of probiotics (that many people are taking these days and practitioners are still recommending) are not making lasting changes in your microbiome.
- Those are another category of bacterial therapeutics that can help, but they're very strain specific. (Certain strains only help certain conditions.)
- Common probiotic strains DO NOT survive to get to the intestine.
- Technically they're not even “probiotics” because “pro” means “for” and “bio” means “life”, yet they're not alive when they get to your gut.
- These probiotics can still have some good effect, like possibly relieving diarrhea or inflammation and sometimes other benefits, but they can't make lasting changes in your gut.
- “Probiotic paradox”. When taking probiotics you're not always getting what you think you are. Mislabeling is a huge issue.
- Most probiotics are lacto and bifido strains like you get from Mom. These were developed in 1902 as a supplement.
- What if we could all slide through a giant vagina again to get these good probiotics?! 🙂
- Being born through the birth canal, AND the fecal matter in that birth process is important.
- Your skin is a reflection of the diversity of your gut microbiome. Also your digestive health, your mental health, and your overall health!
- Things that can affect the health of our gut microbiome and why so many of us have poor gut health these days: Not being born vaginally, environment (pesticides, chlorine), antibiotic use (devastating to microbiome-takes years to recover from), physiology, probiotics, genetics, age, poor diet makes the biggest impact — they've seen 20-30% changes in the gut in ONE day after eating junk.
- Exciting time in modern medicine, we can FIX things now.
- Example: Parkinsons and Alzheimers-both caused by toxins in the gut that seep into the bloodstream. In 3 to 5 years we could have a probiotic fix for those!
- A healthy microbiome is a DIVERSE microbiome.
- Mom's who clean a dropped pacifier in their own mouth before giving it back to their babies –> this actually has a great affect on their microbiome! (A study showed less allergies and asthma in kids whose Moms do this!)
- We should NOT use hand sanitizer or wash before holding new babies, this is not good for their gut, they need this interaction and to pick up microbes from everyone around them!
- Finding a mate has a lot to do with your gut microbiome, you've heard of listening to your “gut feeling”?!!!! Try putting a pic of your microbiome on your Tinder profile, ha!
- Virtually everything that happens in your brain starts in the gut.
- Our gut controls our hunger hormones and our cravings, our bacteria is controlling us!
- Our gut is one of the most highly ordered and complex ecologies on earth.
- 90% of the metabolic activity in your body has to do with your bacteria not your genes! No 2 people have the same microbiome, not even identical twins.
- Bacterial genes outnumber human genes 150 to 1. Our genetics have virtually nothing to do with chronic illness!
- We are WAY more bacteria than we are human.
- Our gut is responsible for virtually all aspects of our overall health so if there’s one thing you’re going to do for your health it’s to take care of your gut health.
- Just Thrive is different because it is a spore probiotic, which means the strains have a protective shell around them. This is not a manmade “coating”, but how it comes in nature.
- This shell protects them until it gets to your intestines where it opens up and starts to work. (They have to get to the intestines alive and be able to colonize well in the digestive system. JT strains have a 99.999% survival rate through the harsh stomach environment and arrive in the gut active and alive.)
- Many probiotics require refrigeration, but if the strains can't even survive room temperature, how will they survive the 98.6* temps in your body in order to make it all the way to your gut where it needs to work?
- JT has only 4 strains (too many strains and it lowers its effectiveness) and one of them is a strain that produces high levels of powerful antioxidants. (Such as Lycopene, Lutein, Astaxanthin, Zeaxanthin and Beta-Carotene. It also produces essential vitamins B and K2!)
- (By the way, Just Thrive is also the ONLY probiotic you can take with an antibiotic! If you take the older type of probiotic with the lacto/bifido strains, they'll just be killed by the antibiotic. Plus I've also heard that other probiotics can “cancel out” the antibiotic, but I'm not sure if that's true. Either way, Just Thrive is the only safe one to take with probiotics. <– Read more at that link.)
You can get Just Thrive here, the best probiotic for gut healing, and get 10% off with the code KOP.
More you might like:
- This Mom will make you cry (how her Autistic son was helped SO much with Just Thrive)
I heard him speak in Portland OR about 3 weeks ago. Does he have a book? There was so much info that came so fast that
I could not get it written down. I would like to have solid references to share with my adult children who are having my grandbabies
Kelly the Kitchen Kop says
Did you see this podcast interview with him, Rebecca Allen Shierman? https://www.westonaprice.org/podcast/84-ground-zero-health-disorders-kiran-krishnan/