This surprisingly delicious Cheese Dip Appetizer Recipe from my friend, Jeanne, can easily be made organic, since all (or most) of the ingredients are available in the organic version. I say, surprisingly delicious, because when you look at the ingredients you may think it sounds like an odd combination – that’s what I thought until I tried it! However, all of the various flavors mix together into a great dip that I’ll bet you haven’t had before – and it’s always fun to bring something new and unique for a party or get-together. Jeanne brought it to the neighbor’s across the street Saturday night when a bunch of us got together to play “Rock Band” – what a riot!
(Use organic ingredients when possible. Note: my comments in italics.)
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 1/2 c. sharp cheddar cheese (the sharper the better), shredded
- 1/2 c. finely chopped or 1 small can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 c. chopped or 1 small can green chilies (more to your taste)
- 1/2 c. or 5 oz. jar coarsely chopped pimentos (fire roasted red peppers) – I omit these, not a pimento fan
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans (even better: Crispy Pecans)
- 1 teaspoon fresh or dried garlic
- 1 Tablespoon fresh or dried onion
- Sea salt to taste
- See variations below
Mix all the ingredients together, it’s best if made the day before. Serve with bagel chips, crackers, or blue tortilla chips. OR eat it with celery sticks if you’re avoiding grains.
- Use 2 cream cheese instead of sour cream and shape into a cheese ball. (I actually used 2 cream cheese AND the sour cream to make more dip.)
- Also can be made using diced red and green peppers. (I did this and LOVED it!)
- Slice french bread or baguette. Spread mixture on and then run under the broiler to lightly toast. Great served with a salad for a simple meal.
- Scroll down through more appetizer recipes
- Need some healthy snack ideas?
- Wonder about microwave safety?
- Scroll down through these kitchen tips to make your life easier