You'll be surprised at how a few random sounding ingredients can taste so good all together in this wonton appetizer recipe. My friend Nancy just made it up, she's a great cook and is always finding something new and amazing to make your mouth happy. She originally used mini pastry shells, but I didn't love the ingredients in those so I make them in these wonton wrappers instead and they're just as good. They have a little creaminess from the cheese (I never knew I loved brie cheese so much), a little sweet, a little salty, a little crunch, a touch of spicy, and a lot of YUM. So if you want to show up with a unique appetizer the next time you need to bring one somewhere, try this!
Here's a picture of Nancy, can you believe she is a Grandma? 🙂
Crazy Delicious Wonton Appetizer Recipe
- 24 wonton wrappers — they usually come 48 to a package
Original recipe fillings:
- 8 ounces of brie cheese-- cut into cubes a little bigger than dice-sized — you'll need all of the cheese, just basically cut it so you have 24 pieces about the same size
- 4 ounces mango chutney like this one-- I just used half of an 8-ounce jar — just see what your store has, if it's a different type of chutney or fruit jam it'll still be good, but just make sure it doesn't have any junky ingredients in it (get a copy of my book for help with that!)
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers, again, diced small (or more if you want it to have more of a kick)
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts of choice-- Nancy used crispy pecans, I used pistachios this time
Fillings for new variation:
- 2 bricks of cream cheese, softened (16 ounces total), I use organic
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 medium sized jalapeño peppers, diced small (or more if you want it to have more of a kick)
- About 3 green onions, chopped, or more for more flavor
- 1 cup or more dried organic cherries or cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Optional: chopped bacon!
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts of choice, I like to use pistachios
- Preheat oven to 350*. Place 24 wonton wrappers in your mini muffin pan. Just tuck the sides a bit so they sit down in there, they don't have to be perfect.
Original recipe instructions:
- Next add the cube of brie cheese in the bottom, and then add a small dollop of mango chutney, about 3/4 teaspoon. Too much and it's too sweet, not enough and the flavor isn't as tasty. Now sprinkle the jalepenos on evenly. Use more if you like a little more kick. Divide the nuts evenly between the 24 cups.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or longer until the cheese is melted and they're nicely golden brown on the edges and crispy.
New variation instructions:
- Mix the filling ingredients together (all except the nuts), and put about 2 Tablespoons in each cup, going back to add more if you have some left. Sprinkle nuts on the top.
Let me know what you think!
More posts you might want to check out:
- All my appetizer recipes in one spot — here's another favorite with wonton wrappers!
- Want to know which real food and/or supplements we buy?
- Check out this free packed lunch mini-class! — Watch a fast-forwarded video class (so you don't feel like it's wasting your time, I love that!) on how to quickly make 10 individually packed lunches and breakfasts to help with your crazy life. 🙂