Until these, I had never even tried stuffed mushrooms. Only recently have I started eating mushrooms at all. The craziest thing is happening as I get older, I’m becoming a big girl and trying new things, and then becoming a wild-woman over them. I used to hate onions, now I’ll chop and fry a whole one in butter and eat it myself. The same thing happened with butternut squash. Mushrooms are my latest new interest, and I’m slowly learning to like them more. When Liz brought these to our neighborhood party they looked so good I gave it a “go”, and I’m so glad I did! (See the recipe below.)
What Does Your Family Eat for the Holidays?
Some families may go all out and make nice big dinners for Christmas gatherings, but both Kent’s and my family keep it simple. We all bring a couple appetizers or treats and go at it. (We do nice meals for all the other holidays, though.) Of course I get tired of bringing the same old things, so this year I’m excited to have found a couple new appetizers. I can't wait to make Jeanne’s Pizza Pinwheel Crescents. Here’s a list of all my appetizer recipes if you need some healthy ideas for your party.
Liz’s Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
These yummy mushrooms are always a hit! Thanks, Liz, for sharing your recipe with us!
- 1 pound Italian sausage (My local farmer makes great sausage! Or Liz said she found some “all natural”, but that term isn’t always reliable, so just be sure to check the ingredients. Find more sources for healthy meat on my resources page.
- 3-12 ounce containers of mushrooms
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (soaked or sourdough bread is best)
- 1 sweet red pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- Fresh grated parmesan cheese (not the kind in the green can --ick!)
Rinse mushrooms and pat dry gently. Remove stems and finely chop them. Brown sausage, mushroom stems, onion, and garlic and stir to crumble, add finely chopped red pepper. Drain. Add bread crumbs, stir to combine.
Stuff mushrooms with sausage mixture. Sprinkle on parmesan cheese. Bake at 375* for 15 minutes. Serve warm.