I promised to get you Sonia's Strawberry Bruschetta recipe, so here you go! It's a perfect delicious summer recipe. 🙂
- 2 Tablespoons palm sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground organic cinnamon
- 2 small ciabatta rolls (you can probably find organic ciabatta), split, buttered, and halved diagonally
- 1 cup fresh, local strawberries, hulled and diced
- 2 Tablespoons palm or coconut sugar (or other natural sugar)
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh, organic basil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup organic sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons organic plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons honey (local and raw honey is best)
- 1/4 teaspoon organic vanilla, not from Mexico (see info below from Sonia about vanilla)
Preheat broiler to high with rack 6″ from heating element. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a dish. Sprinkle mixture (probably not all) on buttered bread, then broil on baking sheet until toasted – 2-3 minutes.
Toss strawberries with sugar, basil, and lemon juice. Stir sour cream, yogurt, honey, and vanilla together in a separate bowl.
To assemble: spoon 2 Tablespoons berries with juice on each piece of toast. Dollop with 1 teaspoon of sour cream.
VANILLA INFORMATION FROM SONIA:
She found an interesting link for making your own vanilla: http://www.blackpearlbotanicals.com/vanextract.htm
Sonia also did more vanilla research and found that there is Mexican vanilla sold as FDA approved, so consumers know it does not contain coumarin. “I had a hard time finding dates on a lot of the sites I looked for information; hard to tell just how current the info is. I think it's best to encourage people to be sure they are buying pure vanilla extract and to be wary of where the vanilla originates.“
- Sonia's guest interview
- Should you take cholesterol medicines?
- Do artificial sweeteners cause weight gain?
- Organic homemade chocolate brownies
photo by Clairity