Once again, not only has Sonia given me a recipe for my blog and even let me taste them as she experimented, but she also took a picture for me! I owe her big. 🙂
Here's the recipe for my chocolate chip cookies. While not nutritionally perfect, I still feel good about the kids eating these instead of cookies made with more typical recipes.
A few notes about these cookies:
- They have a soft, cake-like texture. We prefer soft, chewy cookies, so that's the texture I was going for while I messed around with the recipe.
- While the recipe looks a little long, it's not any harder to throw together than anything else. I store all of my grains together, so I can whip them all out at once and it doesn't take much extra time.
- The boys love these with a huge glass of non-homogenized whole milk (and so do I!) and don't complain about them being “too healthy”. A huge coup!
Multi-Grain Chocolate Chip Cookies
If you're a peanut butter lover, Sonia says adding a 1/2 cup of peanut butter really adds a nice flavor to the cookie.
- 8 Tablespoons softened butter, pastured butter is best
- 1/4 cup organic evaporated blonde palm or coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/3 cup oat flour
- 1/3 cup organic quinoa flour
- 1/3 cup organic spelt flour
- 1/3 cup ground organic flax seed
- 1 1/4 cup organic whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, local pastured eggs are best
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla
- 12 ounces chocolate chips (I like these soy-free chocolate chips)
Cream together butter, sugar, and honey. In separate bowl combine flours, flax seed, sea salt, and baking soda. Add eggs and vanilla to the creamed mixture and mix in. Combine dry ingredients gradually into wet ingredients. Stir in chocolate chips. Spoon onto cookie sheets and bake at 350* until just golden brown.
Did you make a real food recipe?
A couple notes from Kelly:
- For even more nutrition, you can use part sprouted grain flour. (More info on sprouting your grains.)
- Sonia and her family don’t drink raw milk yet, but you can read more about that at this raw milk post, because we all know nothing is better with chocolate chip cookies!
- Even I, with my picky palette, loooooove these soft, yummy cookies!
THANKS, SONIA! 🙂