Good morning reader friends! Moms, I hope you had a sweet Mothers Day. As always, extra prayers went up for those of you who are longing to be mothers. (Have you seen my posts on our own infertility struggles?) The kids made me such cute stuff this year, I'm going to email their teachers to thank them for such thoughtful gifts. When I read the poem our 7th grader wrote, it brought tears to my eyes and he said, “Yes! That means I get extra credit!”
I've got all sorts of posts coming up in the next few weeks that I can't wait to share with you: one about our wine tasting trip last weekend, another that will be a big fat conventional farming rant (are you sick of those yet?), and another about our hometown, super exciting (?) Shepherd Maple Syrup Festival. There are many more good ones planned, too, so I hope you'll sign up for blog updates (via email or via RSS) if you're not signed up already! 🙂
- Last fall on my airport shuttle ride to the hotel for the Wise Traditions/Weston A. Price conference in Dallas, I met Lisa, who turned out to be from Muskegon, Michigan, only about an hour from where I live near Grand Rapids. I told her that I'd met a guy, Mark, not long ago at our local Weston A. Price chapter meeting who was also from Muskegon, and who had told me that he'd like to start a chapter up there. She had been thinking the same thing, so I put them in touch with each other and guess what? Now they have a chapter that's going strong! Check out this recent newspaper article about the new Muskegon Weston A. Price Chapter. (Find your local WAPF chapter!)
- Did you hear this wild story about a plastic grocery bag getting a bunch of girls sick? This is another reason that we need to make sure we eat plenty of fermented foods to keep our immune system strong, so we can fight off all the bugs like this that can be picked up anywhere.
- You'll love this article from my new friend, Alicia, about How Dishwashers and Microwaves Differ in the Way They Heat Plastic.
- Did I tell you yet how my family devoured this awesome recipe from Kendahl: Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole. This would be a great make-ahead dish to add to my Party Planning Guide. 🙂
- Kimberly Hartke has been rockin' it with her posts lately. She recently posted about this fairly long news video that Fox news, yes, Fox news!, did on raw milk last week! (The Raw Milk Freedom Riders are rallying TODAY in Minnesota, be sure to find out more at that link.) Then there was this post, Factory Farms Behind Pig Genocide in Michigan where you can learn more about the story that I told you about here last week: Coops Beware: Welcome to Russia. Our world is getting more and more scary, that's for sure…