Whenever I post dessert recipes, my longtime readers know that I always have to give my little disclaimer: Yes, this is still a dessert and should only be a once in a while treat due to the sugar content. But there are some killer nutrient-dense ingredients in here to redeem the recipe a little! There’s the pastured raw milk, pastured egg yolks, and pastured butter of course, but even the sugars and salt are from a better source and have some valuable nutrients intact.
Homemade Creamy Chocolate Pudding Recipe
- 5 cups milk I used raw milk because that’s all I have, but even though it’s not raw when I’m done, since it’s cooked, we still get the benefits of pastured milk anyway – read more abouthealthy milk options.
- 6 egg yolks The eggs are cooked in this recipe, but you still might wonder, “Are raw eggs safe to eat?” Hint: We eat raw egg yolks often in various recipes.
- 3/4 cup real maple syrup
- 2/3 cup organic palm or coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup arrowroot flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup organic cocoa powder
- 6 Tablespoons butter pastured butter from grass-fed cows is best
- 2 teaspoons organic vanilla extract
- Optional: half-scoop of this grass-fed collagen for extra nutrients!
- As it starts to get hot, put a couple tablespoons into a small bowl with the arrowroot and whisk well, keep adding more hot pudding and whisking, and picking any lumps out that might form.
- Keep doing this until you have a bowl-full of smooth pudding, and then stir this back into the rest of the pudding in the pan. (This is how to do it gradually so lumps don't form.)
- Continue cooking, stirring/whisking continuously until pudding thickens – don't walk away or it will burn, this will likely take about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and it will continue to set as it cools. If you have leftovers for the fridge, let the pudding cool completely, and then place a piece of plastic wrap on top so you can easily lift off the gummy top that will form. You don't have to do that, but some don't like that layer that forms on top.
You AND your kids will go nuts over these!