My sister-in-law Maureen brought this cranberry dip for Christmas Eve (the colors were perfect for the occasion!) and I was surprised that some didn't even want to try it. “Cranberries aren't my thing” or “It doesn't seem like those ingredients would go together well“. If they were swayed and gave it a try, they were surprised at how well all the flavors meshed and how addicting it is, plus it has such a fresh taste!
Of course I changed to use organic ingredients for the ones that I thought were important. If you make it, let me know what you think.
Cranberry Dip with Surprising Ingredients
Yield 1 pie plate
- 12 ounces organic cranberries, finely chopped or use your food processor to make quick work of it!
- 2 jalepenos, finely chopped (use more if you want more heat)
- 1/4 cup green onions, finely chopped
- Optional: 1/2 anaheim pepper, finely chopped (They're shaped like a jalapeño, but lighter green and taller — Maureen says they give some spice but not heat.)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped, but don't do this in the food processor or it won't be as good if it's too small
- 1 cup organic sugar (like this kind or this kind for a less refined sugar) — this seems like a lot to me, but Maureen cut it back from 1 1/2 cups in the original recipe she found. It must be necessary to counter the sourness of the cranberries. I'll try cutting it back a little more though and see how it is. Okay I only used 3/4 cup and I thought it was good. You could try that and then taste-test and make sure it's not too sour for you.
- 2 Tablespoons fresh organic lime juice or about 3/4 of a lime, organic if possible
- Dash of sea salt
- 2-8 ounce packages of organic cream cheese, softened
- Organic crackers or organic corn chips for dipping
An hour or two ahead of time, mix together everything but the cream cheese in a bowl and let set. (You might reserve some of the cilantro to sprinkle on the top.)
Later, spread the cream cheese in a pie plate.
Strain the cranberry mixture, and then spoon over the top of the cream cheese.
If you saved some cilantro, sprinkle this over now.
Serve with dippers of choice.
Did you make a real food recipe?
If you love this cranberry dip, please would you share it using the share buttons? Thanks!
- More appetizer recipes to scroll through
- Love cranberries? Try this cranberry gelatin with an extra superfood ingredient!
- Or try these cranberry orange muffins