If you've read my blog for a while, you've probably kept up with all that the Baker family has gone through. (Prior blog posts: Communism Anyone? and You Can't Make Me Shoot My Pigs.) Now it's time to show our support. This Friday I'm hoping and praying that we can get a HUGE group of us to caravan to Lake City, Michigan to be at their hearing and stand with Mark & Jill Baker; let's show Michigan that we will help fight this injustice!
In December 2011 they were informed by one of the chefs who buys their pork (they weren’t even notified directly!) that their pigs were now considered illegal. Mangalitsa pigs, a world renowned class of swine known for rich, fat, beautiful, red meat were now classified as feral. It didn’t matter that they were raised since babies right on their farm and kept contained on their property. Because they had curly tails (or straight tails), curly ears (or straight ears), these and other characteristics make them ‘feral’.
Mark said at the Michigan Wise Traditions conference recently, “Incidentally, in deposition we found out that the Michigan Pork Producers called the meeting and said we must call every pig feral with a straight tail or curly tail and the only exemption they gave was pigs in confinement, they call that a ‘domestic hog production' whereas my hog production, outside, on pasture, is not best.”
So factory farmed pork is OK. Shocking isn't it?
Mark also said, “There's something going on in the state of Michigan and I'm not sure what it is. I served with men from every state in the Union and young men from your state are some of the most ferocious warriors that walk this planet, but when I come to your state, they're completely afraid of your government and I really don't even understand why.”
It's time to say NO more. We are not afraid to stand!
Please rearrange your schedule so you can join us, it took a lot of rearranging around here, too, but it's worth it.
- If you're in the Grand Rapids area, you can meet up with some of us to share rides to the Baker Farm. We'll meet at 10:15 a.m. Friday, July 12th, at the carpool lot just West of the US-131 and 10 Mile exit in Rockford.
- We'll meet the rest of you from around the state at noon at Baker's Green Acres Farm (about 15 minutes from the Missaukee County Courthouse in Lake City): 1579 Brinks Rd. Marion, MI 49665. Mark has said we can have a quick tour of their farm and then we'll caravan over to the courthouse at about 1:00-1:15 for the hearing.
- Whether or not you can meet up with us at the farm, the Bakers would appreciate your support at the courthouse! The hearing begins at 2:00 p.m., Missaukee County Courthouse, 111 Canal Street, Lake City, MI.
- Email me if you're planning on joining us just so we have an idea of how many to expect, especially if you're carpooling/caravanning with us from Rockford: [email protected] (Scroll down to the bottom of this post for more info below about ride shares.)
- On Saturday, July 13th, the Bakers are having an open house and pig roast that they'd like you all to join them at! Unfortunately I can't stay due to previous plans already set up with family, but if you can sleepover Mark said that there is plenty of room to camp at the farm, or there are hotels nearby for Friday night. Learn more here.
- Lastly, the Bakers need your help to fight this! Please donate even just $5 or $10 (or more if you can!) to help save Baker's Green Acres using this button:
I'll see you on Friday!
Hear Mark explain more about what's going on and you can also meet the beautiful Baker family:
Join our NEW WAPF PickupPal group to find a rideshare: CLICK HERE
Sign up for a free account on pickuppal.com. Join our private group page at the link above, password is “realfood.” Under Events find Mark Baker Hearing. Set up a Trip to this event. The site will match you with potential ridesharers in your area.
This is terrible. It isn’t just happening to pig farmers though. Crop farmers are having to fight Monsanto because of cross contamination with the wind blowing patented seeds into their fields. It’s completely and utterly ridiculous. Everyone needs to watch Food, Inc. That documentary shows just how much control the corporations have in our food and in our government. It is completely ridiculous and is making farming for the average farmer more and more difficult. The big corporations are working to drive the average farmer out of business. It makes me sooo angry! It is so incredibly important to support local farms now more than ever. I so wish I was in the area and could show my support to this family. Unfortunately I am stuck down here in Missouri, but I definitely will be praying for the family. The big corporations are out of control and in control of our government. It is up to us to save the smaller farms and keep our local farmers in business. It is a scary time right now to be in the food business.
Suzanne Osio says
This is a crime. Who do they think will provide people food if all the family farms are forced out of business? Not only a crime, its sick!!!
Sending Love & support from Florida. Wish I could be there. I’ll be sending in a donation when I get paid again. Thank you so much for fighting the good fight & keeping us up to date. x
Commenter via Facebook says
Sure would like to but have a prior commitment that day. I did help by donating.
Leah G says
We are very far away but my heart is with the. We must stand together. I donated what I could and pray others will as well as this affects us all.
Wish I could join too, but I donated. Everyone, please give something. This is has an effect on all of us!
Kelly, I SOOOO wish I could join you all for this caravan to support Mark and Jill and their wonderful family and farm. I am beyond broke, but I’ll try to send a few dollars. This is such an important cause and I know what wonderful people the Bakers are. (I was fortunate enough to sit next to them at one of the VIP tables at the closing banquet of Wise Traditions last fall, because they graciously invited me to sit with them. What a thrill that was!)
And thank you, thank you, thank you Kelly and everyone who joins up to support the Bakers in person in court. I know that the lawyers and judges do take note when they get overwhelming public support for someone. Thank you for organizing this and getting the word out. God bless you all.
Hi Jeanmarie, I wish you could be here with us, too, thanks so much for your support from California! 🙂