Well guys, I won't lie. I'm pinching myself. This is a very cool, crazy feeling, holding a real book in my hands that I wrote myself. Yes, I've written e-books before, but this one I can touch. It was a long and often painful process. It was “almost done” and even “done” so many times that I lost count. One setback was when Mom was diagnosed with cancer last summer and passed away about 8 weeks later — I knew when she was sick that taking care of her was my priority, and as much as it still hurts having her gone, I'm SO thankful for that time and it feels great not having any regrets. Besides that, it was the whole full time blogger and homeschooling Mom “thing” that made it tricky to FINISH. My publisher (and friend) was SO patient, ever ready to encourage me and get me to relax by saying things like, “God's timing is always perfect.” (The story of how I found my publishers, or really how they found ME, is another whole amazing story, which I tell a little about in the book. Let's just say it was a “God thing” for sure.)
Sometimes I'd lie in bed thinking about it, though, and the negative talk would sneak through, “It's really not very good, no one will buy it, let alone be helped by it…” Then I'd wake up the next day, pick up the manuscript, look it over, and say to Kent, “You know, it actually IS pretty good!” Not that I haven't already found a few things that I'd change or add in for the next edition, but overall I'm so happy with it and excited to put it out there, because I really do think this will help so many to get their family on track or to feel better again. Even if you may be solid in the real foodie department, I hope you'll share it with your friends and loved ones who are still struggling to get there.
Ask at your local library
If you're unable to snag a book right now, put in a request at your local library! I've requested many books through the years (most I've ended up buying, but I wanted to check them out first) and they've never turned me down.
I'm really pumped about the reviews, check these out!
Kelly the Kitchen Kop has patrolled the food aisles and the internet and come up with a streamlined food guide for staying out of trouble. Confused about nutrition? Kelly sets the record straight with this practical, easy-to-understand compendium of food sources and sound advice.
Sally Fallon Morell
Author of Nourishing Traditions
President, The Weston A. Price Foundation
Transitioning away from the highly-industrialized fake food environment we live in to one that is comprised mostly of healthy real whole foods is intimidating to a whole lot of people. How do you cut through the marketing claims and get to the very heart of what really matters when it comes to eating real foods that will nourish your body on your way to attaining optimal health? That's exactly what Kelly The Kitchen Kop has done with this book, arming you with exactly what ingredients you want to be looking for and which to avoid in making the best choices for food. It's a nutritional wasteland out there, but the good news is Kelly is throwing you a lifeline. Grab it, hold on tight, and get lifted out of the grips of the modern food culture sooner rather than later!
Jimmy Moore (p.s. I'll be on Jimmy's show soon!)
Blogger, author of Cholesterol Clarity: What The HDL Is Wrong With My Numbers?
Kelly the Kitchen Kop's Real Food for Rookies is a simple, practical tool for navigating that modern day minefield otherwise known as the supermarket! Whether you are just learning to eliminate the junk food in your home or have been seeking healthier alternatives via local producers for some time, Real Food for Rookies will provide you tips and ideas to make sourcing and preparing healthy meals for your family an efficient and budget friendly experience. Real Food for Rookies also overviews some of the most damaging health myths out there today and why choosing food like Great-Grandma made is always the best policy.
Blogger, author of Get Your Fats Straight (The Healthy Home Economist Guide)
Confused about real food? This guide will tell you all you need to know. Want to know what foods to avoid? It's here. Want to know what foods to eat? It's here. Want to know why real food is better? It's here. Want some great guidance on how to make the switch from factory food to real food? It's here. Superbly written and researched, easy to use and understand, this is the BEST guide to buying real food I have ever seen.
Stanley A. Fishman
Blogger, author of Tender Grassfed Meat
Kelly's Real Food for Rookies gives you simple, easy to follow instructions for making lasting improvements to your diet and health. She helps you break through the quagmire of confusion about GMOs, processed foods, and making healthy choices. If you're making the transition to eating real food, you need this book.
Blogger, author of Beautiful Babies: Nutrition for Fertility, Pregnancy, Breast-feeding, and
Baby's First Foods
Kelly is a great friend to the local food movement and to consumers' right to access the foods and healthcare of their choice. Her blog generates demand for small farmers producing nutrient-dense food and advocates for them by sounding the alarm for support when there is a threat of government enforcement action. Real Food for Rookies is just one of a number of ways she promotes the health of families and communities through her work.
Pete Kennedy, Esq.
President, Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund
For years, Kelly the Kitchen Kop has been my “go-to” source whenever I have questions about food. She is so knowledgeable and easy to understand. Real Food for Rookies is a must-have for anyone who desires to save money and adopt a real-food lifestyle.
Blogger, novelist, author of such cookbooks as Fifty Shades of Gravy and The Walking Bread
Here's how Real Food for Rookies will help you or your loved ones:
- Adapting recipes will come natural to you!
—> Then you can take any family favorite and make it not only healthy, but more delicious! (Included are examples to show how easily this can be done with your own recipes.)
- Find out which ingredients are best and which to avoid.
—> No more wondering if the groceries you buy are worth the cost or even safe.
- Know which fats we should be using and and in which recipes.
—> You'll be able to avoid the bad-for-you fats, instead of unintentionally making yourself or our loved ones sick, and definitely more prone to obesity and chronic disease!
- Get the real scoop on why buying fat-free and low-fat is not a good choice.
—> So you'll know how to keep such nutrient-poor “food” out of your grocery cart!
- Find out how to know when buying organic matters.
—> You'll stop spending extra money when it's not necessary.
- Become informed on which grocery store foods often lie on their labels.
—> So you won't get duped — you'll know the truth and can choose wisely.
- You'll get a top ten list of foods to avoid and a top ten list of superfoods to eat more often.
—> This will be simple, clear, and easy to incorporate into your life.
- If you've thought of switching to more nutrient-dense, fresh milk, find out what *exactly* you should look for in a raw milk farm
—> So you can get the most wonderful superfood possible, and avoid milk that could be contaminated. (Also, if you buy milk from the store, find out which kinds you should never ever buy.)
- Do you wonder what's the big deal with fish oils? You'll be able to tell which brands are the better, safer choice.
—> You'll stop wasting your money on junk that won't have much benefit and could even be harmful.
- Find out how to avoid all the obstacles when switching over to real food.
—> You'll have the help you need to stay motivated, to deal with family complaints, to find the time to implement these new ideas, and to afford this lifestyle as well.
- Being overwhelmed can paralyze you into doing nothing.
—> The simple explanations in this book will keep you moving forward on the journey so you're not stuck in uncertainty and confusion, and so you can make a real, lasting difference in your family's health.
More Reasons to Get Real Food for Rookies:
- 20-page quick-reference guide with “good, better, and best” options for when you want fast answers to questions like… “Will you please just tell me what I’m supposed to buy?!”
- Help for when someone puts you on the spot and you need a quick reminder of… “What was so bad about that food again?” or “Why should we choose this instead of that?”
- Real Food for Rookies can help you track down real food at your local supermarket or farmer’s market.
- If you're sick of the struggle I can help! I've been there. I have four picky kids, a limited budget, and a busy life, too, but I can show you that this is DOABLE.
- You can see around you that too many are sick, depressed, and overwhelmed, but that doesn't have to be your family. Not anymore!
- I'm excited to come alongside you and be that friend who won't judge (we're not perfect here either), instead I can help you know what to buy and why, where to buy it, and how to afford it.
- Finally real food is becoming popular, but you may feel like you're not getting anywhere and don't know what to buy, where to get it, and WHY does it matter?! In Real Food for Rookies, every obstacle is stomped out, so now you can find the help you need and get a handle on your shopping, cooking, and eating habits. You'll know how to avoid dangerous foods, and instead feed your family nourishment that will help them get well or stay that way.
To all of my faithful reader friends…
Thanks for your support through the years!