A reader unsubscribed from my blog updates not long ago and said it's because I'd gotten “so negative lately” – do you think so? I do tend to go off on my rants at times! Like Friday's post, Consumers Wants to Poison Our Woods. Sometimes rants are justified and necessary, though, plain and simple. I know that most of you get that, right?!
Sooooooo, I'll begin today with something very positive…
- Here's an absolutely beautiful little film that ends with the words, “Giving is the Best Communication”.
- Those of you who know me well (which I guess is any of you faithful readers!) might find this hard to believe, but I used to be really shy as a kid. I couldn't stand that feeling, and I remember around junior high age or so making a conscious decision to “act as if” I was not shy. I must have heard about this idea somewhere and gave it a try. Guess what? I don't remember being shy since. It's not that I'm comfortable in every situation nowadays, not at all, but I did become what some would call an extrovert. I do still have some introverted tendencies, though, such as a deep enjoyment of my alone time, but that could be due to this thing called, Motherhood. Ha! My point to all of this is to introduce you to my new favorite blogger (with no health or nutrition connection that I've seen so far), Matt Walsh, who wrote a great post last week called, “I'm an Introvert and I Don't Need to Come Out of My Shell.” This line was one of my favorites: “We live in a country where it’s perfectly acceptable to find the silent person in the back of the room and say, in as loud and shrill a voice as possible, “WHY ARE YOU SO QUIET?!” Yet I’ll be frowned upon if I walk up to some gossiping blabbermouth at the food court and innocently inquire as to if, and when, they plan on shutting their mouth for 15 seconds.” He also has some great remarks about the myth that homeschoolers need to be socialized, and I couldn't agree more with his opinion on small talk. Be sure to check out his other recent posts that you will not want to miss, trust me. A couple of examples: I am a biological terrorist because my kids didn’t get a vaccine and Christianity has done more for science than atheism ever could.
- Back to food chit chat. With all the parchment paper I go through, I've been thinking about getting these Artisan Silicone Baking Mats. They are way more affordable than Silpats, but what do you think? Anybody use them?
- I guess we don't have to worry about plastic toxins anymore now, huh? EPA Quietly Withdraws Two Proposed Chemical Safety Rules. In an email statement to The Huffington Post, an EPA spokesman said that the rules were being withdrawn because “they are no longer necessary.” ???
- Here is a cute (and informative!) video from Genevieve of Mama Natural (don't you love her?) called, “Olive Oil Scam Revealed!” (You can find trusted olive oil here.)
- A good friend emailed me and had this story to share: “I'm at the market right now and was just visiting with one of the local family-run pastured chicken farm owners here. There's a Cargill plant here in town as well as a another nasty industrial chicken processing plant, and a maintenance person for one of those places was here a while ago visiting with him. He told him that if it weren't for small family farms like his, he'd be a vegetarian. He then went on to tell the horrors of industrial chicken processing. Nasty, nasty stuff. He added that he never eats deli meats, chicken nuggets, or similar products because of the disgusting meat that gets made into it–it's the stuff that can't be sold on its own because something's wrong with it. The people who deal with that stuff wear masks because of the smell. Ewwwww!” Do we need any more reason to know where your meat comes from?! If you can't find a good local source of healthy meat, you can get safe pastured meats online at this link. (Or read more about healthy meat here.)
- You DO need more reasons? OK. Here you go… This is pure scariness: ‘Artificial egg' made from PLANTS backed by Bill Gates set to revolutionize cooking goes on sale at Whole Foods. Why in the world would they think that we want MORE fake foods at our supermarkets?! And another freaky one about chickens: The USDA will now allow chickens raised and slaughtered in the U.S. to be shipped to China for processing, and then shipped back to the U.S. for sale to consumer
- This story was actually on an ABC news site! Anxiety In Your Head Could Come From Your Gut. It's great if this is becoming more well-known! Most of us real foodies, and certainly those familiar with the GAPS Diet, know what a powerful connection there is, and that when your gut is healthy, there can be healing of all sorts of health issues, because your gut is primarily where your immune system lies. Read more in the GAPS Diet book. Or here is an overview on the GAPS Diet: Gut Health 101: 6 Questions and Answers About A Strong Immune System and the GAPS Diet.
- Read and share this now, before the CDC removes the report from their site: 10.8% of children who receive the genetically modified DTaP vaccine become symptomless, but contagious, carriers of whooping cough. The vaccine is defective but apparently will not be removed unless there is tremendous pressure from the public. Read and download the report on the CDC website here.
- HAVE A GREAT WEEK EVERYONE! 🙂