I promised to get you Sonia’s Strawberry Bruschetta recipe, so here you go!
- 2 Tablespoons palm sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground organic cinnamon
- 2 small ciabatta rolls (you can probably find organic ciabatta), split, buttered, and halved diagonally
- 1 cup fresh, local strawberries, hulled and diced
- 2 Tablespoons palm or coconut sugar (or other natural sugar)
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh, organic basil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup organic sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons organic plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons honey (local and raw honey is best)
- 1/4 teaspoon organic vanilla, not from Mexico (see info below from Sonia about vanilla)
photo by Clairity
Preheat broiler to high with rack 6″ from heating element. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a dish. Sprinkle mixture (probably not all) on buttered bread, then broil on baking sheet until toasted – 2-3 minutes.
To assemble: spoon 2 Tablespoons berries with juice on each piece of toast. Dollop with 1 teaspoon of sour cream.
VANILLA INFORMATION FROM SONIA:
She found an interesting link for making your own vanilla: http://www.blackpearlbotanicals.com/vanextract.htm
Sonia also did more vanilla research and found that there is Mexican vanilla sold as FDA approved, so consumers know it does not contain coumarin. “I had a hard time finding dates on a lot of the sites I looked for information; hard to tell just how current the info is. I think it’s best to encourage people to be sure they are buying pure vanilla extract and to be wary of where the vanilla originates.”