I promised to get you Sonia’s Strawberry Bruschetta recipe, so here you go!
- 2 T. palm sugar
- 1/2 t. ground organic cinnamon
- 2 small ciabatta rolls (you can probably find organic ciabatta), split, buttered, and halved diagonally
- 1 c. fresh, local strawberries, hulled and diced
- 2 T. palm or coconut sugar (or other natural sugar)
- 1 T. chopped fresh, organic basil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 c. organic sour cream
- 2 T. organic plain yogurt
- 2 t. honey (local and raw honey is best)
- 1/4 t. organic vanilla, not from Mexico (see info below from Sonia about vanilla)
photo by Clairity
Preheat broiler to high with rack 6″ from heating element. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a dish. Sprinkle mixture (probably not all) on buttered bread, then broil on baking sheet until toasted – 2-3 minutes.
To assemble: spoon 2 T. berries with juice on each piece of toast. Dollop with 1 t. of sour cream.
VANILLA INFORMATION FROM SONIA:
She found an interesting link for making your own vanilla: http://www.blackpearlbotanicals.com/vanextract.htm
Sonia also did more vanilla research and found that there is Mexican vanilla sold as FDA approved, so consumers know it does not contain coumarin. “I had a hard time finding dates on a lot of the sites I looked for information; hard to tell just how current the info is. I think it’s best to encourage people to be sure they are buying pure vanilla extract and to be wary of where the vanilla originates.”