These simple lemon bars are from my friend, Amy, and they are the BEST, with a light flaky bottom and a not-too-sweet but tangy-licious top — it's one of my favorites! It seems like a summery dessert, but it's good anytime. You can serve it plain or with some berries and whipped cream on top. (Have you seen this post? How to make real whipped cream and avoid nasty Cool Whip.)
Simple Lemon Bars
Yield 9x13 pan
Thanks, Amy, for sharing this yummy recipe with us!
- 1/2 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened (pastured butter is best)
- 2 cups flour (my favorite these days is Einkorn flour)
- 2 cups sugar (I use organic cane sugar for this, but coconut sugar would be good too — I'm going to try cutting this to 1 1/2 cups.)
- 4 Tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice or the juice from 2 lemons + 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 eggs, pastured eggs from a local farm is best
- Combined first three ingredients and press into an ungreased 9×13 baking pan, building up a 1/2 inch edge. Bake at 350* for 20 minutes.
- While that's baking, mix together sugar, lemon juice, baking powder, sea salt, and eggs. Beat together until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Pour over hot crust and bake an additional 25 minutes or so, until no indentation remains when touched lightly in the center. Cool and sprinkle with more organic powered sugar.
- Top with fresh blueberries, strawberries and whipped cream.
Did you make a real food recipe?
Let me know if you love this recipe, too!
More you might like: