These simple lemon bars are from my friend Amy, and they are the BEST, with a light flaky bottom and a not-too-sweet but tangy-licious top — it's one of my favorites! It seems like a summery dessert, but it's good anytime. You can serve it plain or with some berries and whipped cream on top. (Have you seen this post? How to make real whipped cream and avoid nasty Cool Whip.)
Simple Lemon Bars
- 1/2 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter softened (pastured butter is best)
- 2 cups flour, my favorite these days is Einkorn flour
- 2 cups sugar, I use organic cane sugar for this, but coconut sugar would be good too — I'm going to try cutting this to 1 1/2 cups.
- 4 Tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice or the juice from 2 lemons + 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 eggs, pastured eggs from a local farm is best
- More organic powdered sugar for dusting
- Fresh organic berries if desired (berries are usually sprayed with a lot of chemicals, so I always buy organic)
- Whipped cream if desired
- Combined first three ingredients and press into an ungreased 9×13 baking pan, building up a 1/2 inch edge. Bake at 350* for 20 minutes.
- While that's baking, mix together sugar, lemon juice, baking powder, sea salt, and eggs. Beat together until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Pour over hot crust and bake an additional 25 minutes or so, until no indentation remains when touched lightly in the center. Cool and sprinkle with more organic powered sugar.
- Top with fresh blueberries, strawberries and whipped cream.
Let me know if you love these simple lemon bars too!
More you might like: