Do you want a Keto salad that cuts your cravings?
Besides doing a longer fast like I did recently which shrunk my stomach so I get full faster and cut my cravings for sweets, eating meals like this one really work! The flavor in this keto salad is OUT of this world and it's absolutely loaded with keto-friendly nutrient-dense healthy fats (egg yolks, bacon fat, oh yeah!), greens and proteins, so if you eat it for breakfast you're satisfied. All. Day. Long. And if you eat this salad for dinner, you don't feel deprived in the least.
Growing up Mom made something similar from my Dad's Mom called, “Wilted Lettuce”. The Whole 30 book calls it “Bistro Breakfast Salad.” The photo above shows my version vs. theirs in the book, pretty darn close, right? Only I've changed it up, of course, because that's my favorite thing to do with recipes. 🙂
I call it, “The Best keto salad EVER!”
The other thing I love about this keto salad is that it's a tasty way to get in more apple cider vinegar without drinking it straight like a lot of people do for the many health benefits. (This Napa Slaw is another tasty salad with apple cider vinegar in the dressing.) The only downside of this keto salad is your garlic breath afterward but: WORTH IT.
BEST Keto Salad that Cuts Cravings
- 1 bunch lettuce greens, nothing too heavy like kale, but a bunch of colorful mixed greens is nice -- I like endive thrown in if I have it. Organic is best, of course, to avoid the chemicals. Sometimes I'll just use organic romaine.
- Optional: cherry tomatoes, halved -- I tried this recently and YUMMMMM
- 1 pound pastured bacon, 2-3 pieces or so per person. Save the rest for another salad later. You'll need some of the bacon fat though. Get some bacon here if you don't have a good local source for healthy pastured meats.
- 2-3 eggs per person -- I like it with 2, but if you're really hungry, you may want 3. Pastured eggs from a farmer you know and trust is best.
- 1/4 cup bacon grease-- Note: if you're serving more than 1-2 people, you can stretch the amount of bacon grease with olive oil or avocado oil if you don't have enough bacon fat, but I usually have some extra in a jar in the fridge.
- 1-2 cloves minced garlic, about 1/2-1 teaspoon
- 3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- Sea salt and pepper, I use freshly cracked pepper
- Clean and chop your greens, place in a bowl or on a plate. Add cherry tomatoes if you're using them.
- Fry bacon until crisp, set aside. Save the fat drippings to use in the dressing, leaving some of the fat in the pan to fry your eggs in.
- Soft cooked eggs are the best for this, so fry eggs just 'til done on the outside, leaving the yolk soft and runny if possible. Slide eggs onto your greens. Season with sea salt and pepper.
- In the same pan with medium heat, saute the garlic for a minute or two, then add the vinegar and mustard. Whisk well, just 'til it thickens a bit and the flavors come together for another minute or two.
- Drizzle the dressing over your salad, and crumble however much bacon you want on top.
- Add more pepper to your taste. Enjoy!
More you might like:
- Have you tried keto WINE?!!! Here's where I told about our keto wine tasting (no more wine headaches!) and here's where to get a bottle of no-sugar wine (that tastes good!) for one cent, for real. 🙂
- Find more salad ideas for dinner here. (Some count as keto salads, others not so much!)
- Check out my 5-minute homemade mayo video!
- Read about when I did the Whole 30 diet and what I ate (there's a whole list of low-carb/whole-30/keto foods): After the Whole 30.
- Another good keto salad: Napa Slaw
More keto salad pictures: