Roasted Cauliflower with Parmesan

January 8, 2013 · 37 comments

Roasted cauliflower

If you like cauliflower even a little, you will LOVE this simple side dish – it melts in your mouth!  Plus cauliflower is a great source of vitamin C and the ‘super-vitamin’:  vitamin K.

Roasted Cauliflower with shredded Parmesan:

1. First clean and cut up a head of cauliflower into small hunks.
  2. Next melt 1/4 c. butter, then stir in 1/4 c. olive oil.  (Find quality olive oil here.)
  3. Now cut your Parmesan cheese into hunks:

parmesan hunks4.  Next, I use my Bosch to quickly shred the Parmesan cheese (where to buy a Bosch, and here’s more about my beloved Bosch):

parmesan shredded5.  Lay the cauliflower out on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet, brush on the butter/olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt. Bake until it’s golden brown at 375*, for about 10-15 minutes – don’t overcook or it’ll get mushy.  Sprinkle with however much Parmesan cheese that you’d like (a cup or so?), and broil just ’til it’s melted.

You can actually use this same method to make almost any vegetable dreamy.  We’ve got some asparagus in the frig right now and I think I’ll try that tomorrow.  Any more ideas?

Another update:  I finally tried it with asparagus and remembered to snap a picture, it was so good!!!  I think I liked it even better than the cauliflower…

roasted asparagus

Now wait until you see even your kids going nuts over this vegetable side dish!  :)

1 Mary Beth January 8, 2013 at 12:30 am

Yumm!! I have PCOS and can’t eat many starches (think potatoes…) I’m always looking for new and tasty ways to make cauliflower. This one looks like a keeper!

2 Jeanmarie January 8, 2013 at 3:29 am

I was just wondering what to do with the cauliflower in the fridge!

3 Jeanmarie January 13, 2013 at 3:02 pm

I’m starting to make it now… I just noticed it doesn’t say how much Parmesan cheese. Estimate?
    Thanks!

4 KitchenKop January 13, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Hi Jeanmarie, I answered that in a comment below but thanks for the reminder, I should add it to the post. About a cup or so? :)

5 Elizabeth January 8, 2013 at 5:45 am

This sounds yummy! Can’t wait to try it!

Previously, I never knew what to do with cauliflower. Then, I discovered this easy and delicious recipe:

Prepare cauliflower, cut into small pieces. Wash and slice mushrooms. Melt butter/olive oil mixture in wok or skillet; add cauli and mushrooms. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Saute until done. It gets done faster if you let it cook some with a lid on. Very similar to your recipe — without the cheese and still very tasty! :)

6 Kelly the Kitchen Kop January 8, 2013 at 11:33 am

Good idea to just do the same thing with stir-frying. I like parmesan melted or not, so just sprinkling it on after frying while it’s still hot would work, too. I don’t like mushrooms, but the rest of the family does.

Thanks!

7 Liz January 8, 2013 at 10:15 am

This is my favorite way to do cauliflower. Except I add a lot of fresh minced garlic and I usually have the oven hotter — 425 and it gets kind of “tender crisp” and full of garlicky yummy goodness!

8 Teri Gelseth January 8, 2013 at 11:11 am

Genius! I love picking up great new ideas for for vegetables especially ones the kids will eat. I am just kinda eat it raw whatever person. My creative juices really get going when we have family or friends around and i LOVED to cook for my husband but that creativity seems to wane when its just me and the kids…

YUMM! Cauliflower is going back on my list :-)

Teri
    terigelseth.com

9 Janny January 8, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Roasting veggies in this fashion is what turned the tide with our veggie-avoiding daughter. Asparagus is one of her favorites now; she likes it baked ’til brown and somewhat crispy on the edges. Sweet potatoes slices baked this way carmelize so even I have learned to enjoy them.

I find it easiest to throw the pieces or slices of veggies into a bowl and toss with oil. Then I spread them out on my baking stone and add sea salt.

10 Janny January 8, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I neglected to mention that chard is delicious baked this way, too. We hadn’t tasted it until I fixed it this way. Yum!

Cut the thick, center veins out and throw them away. Take the leaves that remain and cut them into two-inch strips with your knife. Toss with oil. Lay them on a baking stone and add sea salt. Bake at 400 just until the leaves turn crispy (start watching after 15 minutes). These first turn “mushy” as they bake but will suddenly go crispy and hold their shape when you pick a piece up with your fingers. At that point, they will melt in your mouth, literally!

11 KitchenKop January 8, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Yes, I love doing that with Kale, too. Here’s my Kale Chips recipe: http://kellythekitchenkop.com/2010/11/kale-chips-a-great-low-carb-crunchy-salty-snack.html

12 Jeanmarie January 21, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Oh, don’t throw away the centers! They work great in a gratin. Or give them to your goats. Ours love stuff like that.

13 Amanda Y January 8, 2013 at 1:29 pm

This looks yummy! Quick question tho–Thats a lot of (expensive here) Parmesean cheese slices, how much of it did you use to go with one head of cauliflower?

14 KitchenKop January 8, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Yeah, most of that went into the freezer after I shredded it. :)

I don’t know how much I used, I just sprinkled it all over… Maybe 1 cup or so?

15 Victory Lynette January 18, 2013 at 8:23 am

Excellent. Mixed together the butter/olive oil in a bowl and stirred in the cauliflower to coat. Added a couple cloves of minced garlic, too. The Parmesan really gives it a nice touch. Really enjoyed it. Thank you!

16 Jeanmarie January 21, 2013 at 3:47 pm

This did not turn out well for me, but it sure looked pretty, with the purple cauliflower I used. The Parmesan didn’t shred, it turned into mini-dices in my food processor, and so it wouldn’t really stay on the cauliflower. I like Victory Lynette’s idea of mixing the cheese with butter/olive oil blend. Maybe I’ll try it again.

Or, I’ll probably just roast the cauliflower! I love roasted veggies.

17 KitchenKop January 21, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Bummer! But yeah, I didn’t use a food processor on my cheese, but a *shredder* – maybe try that next time?

18 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook April 2, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Pic looks like asparagus??

19 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook April 2, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Steamed cabbage with salt and plenty of butter. The cabbage gets really soft and sweet if you cook it long enough. Put a little water in the pan so it doesn’t burn. Cook with lid on about 15-20 min. My kids love it.

20 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook April 2, 2013 at 7:58 pm

having a food neophobe (10 today) veg have been a long battle, but best recipe was to tell him that picking snowpeas and broadbeans out of the garden was naughty … I try not to catch him stealing and eating as often as possible …

21 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook April 2, 2013 at 8:00 pm

I just tonight made a moo shu with veggies (I used cabbage, broccoli, carrots this time) and eggs that my 2 year old loved, and she usually avoids veggies like the plague.

22 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook April 2, 2013 at 8:01 pm

That’s a picture of Asperagus. :D

23 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook April 2, 2013 at 8:16 pm
    24 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook April 2, 2013 at 8:16 pm
    25 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook April 2, 2013 at 8:17 pm
    26 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook April 2, 2013 at 8:18 pm
    27 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook April 2, 2013 at 8:20 pm
    28 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook April 2, 2013 at 8:21 pm
    29 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook April 2, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Jen Schroeder Zordan – I know! At the post I talk about how you can make the same recipe with *any* veggie. :)

30 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook April 2, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Lyn Gorski – I know, see my post – I talk there about how you can make that with any veggie. :)

31 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook April 2, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Roasted carrots with butter. Steamed green beans with soy sauce.

32 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook April 2, 2013 at 9:15 pm

I do the same thing with broccoli added. My daughter also LOVES roasted brussel sprouts, with butter, olive oil, garlic and a touch of salt :).

33 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook April 2, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Green beans- blanched for a minute then sautéed in olive oil with garlic and almond slivers and, of course butter…so yummy!

34 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook April 2, 2013 at 10:25 pm

http://gourmandeinthekitchen.com/2012/garlic-thyme-oven-braised-artichoke-recipe/ I make this minus the herbs (didn’t have them on hand the first time) and I used red wine, and my kids were fighting over the last one. So much excitement in the house on artichoke days!

35 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook April 2, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Will try!

36 %kelly the kitchen kop% via Facebook April 3, 2013 at 9:10 am

We love doing this with brussels sprouts too!