If you’re looking for the healthy topical coconut oils, lotions, etc., skip below…
Also, here is my kettle corn recipe if you want a little something sweet.
Click here for the popper we use:
I’ve been through many popcorn poppers since we began eating healthier and finally found one I love! This one has no nasty Teflon, no disease-causing aluminum by the food (make sure you get the one with stainless steel throughout), and it tastes much better than when it is cooked in an air popper – those made the popcorn taste dry and blah.
Read here about the many benefits of getting more coconut into our diets!
KELLY’S POPCORN RECIPE WITH COCONUT OIL:
If you’re trying to get more coconut into your diet, and you’re like me and don’t like the flavor, here is a recipe for people like us. Everyone loves this popcorn and it reminds me of how old-fashioned movie popcorn used to taste before they stopped using coconut oil (because it was more expensive than the cheap heart-killer fake oils they use now), and the flavor isn’t overpowering. It also keeps very well in freezer baggies for many days without becoming stale. (I don’t know exactly how long because it doesn’t last long around here.) I’ve even sent it to our friend, Nick, in Iraq and it travels quite well!
By the way, some have trouble digesting popcorn, so keep that in mind just in case it doesn’t set right with you.
- Scoop 2-3 T. organic virgin coconut oil into your heated Stove-top popper (click the link for where to buy coconut oil and click the picture above for where to buy the popper).
- Add 1/2 to 3/4 c. popcorn and cook. Get the popcorn wherever you can buy in bulk – I get it through the buying club at my local health food store. I like the small white kind.
- After popping, add plenty of real butter – find pastured butter here (about 3T. per batch or so, more or less to taste) and sea salt, mix around well.
You can also get the benefits of coconut oil through your skin when applied topically, here’s a couple products I like:
- Organic Virgin Coconut Oil Moisturizing Cream – Unscented – 4-oz
- Organic Virgin Coconut Oil Lip Moisturizer – Unscented
- They have other skin care items through this link, too, I just did a search there and bought some coconut/tea tree oil soaps on Nina Planck’s recommendation. (I love her book, Real Food: What to Eat and Why.)
The above recipe follows principles learned from the Weston A. Price Foundation- read about them at the WAPF website, or here: Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats.
LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW if you have coconut tips or more recipes with coconut – the more we can get into our diets, the better!
- Homemade CARAMEL popcorn - YUM!
- Kettle Corn made with coconut oil – much easier than caramel corn!
- Easy Meatless/Vegetarian/Lenten Meal Ideas
- Dieting/my “food conversion”
- Have you heard of Weston A. Price?
- Information on a good brand of sea salt
- Where is the truth on health and nutrition?
- Recommended books
- Eating healthy, without sacrifices