Real Food Wednesday 2/16/11

February 16, 2011 · 75 comments

RealFoodWednesdays

It’s that crazy time of the week when you entice us with your links and comments to go check out your blogs and your great REAL FOOD WEDNESDAY tips and ideas! (If you’re a blogger, you’ll draw some good traffic to your site…)

First, can you help?

1.  It’s not easy for me to catch them all on my own, and I’d really like everyone to play fair, so if you see any posts that don’t link back to this post (blog carnival etiquette you know!) , can you email me please?  Kelly@KellytheKitchenKop.com.  (I hate playing hardball and removing links, so let’s all be good to the others who are bringing more traffic to your blogs with their links by doing the same, OK?)

2.  Also, PLEASE let me know if you see a post that is blatantly not Real Food.  Someone who is striving and on the journey is one thing (as we all are), but if it’s really bad (canned bread, Velveeta, margarine, Egg Beaters, unfermented soy or any other fake food), please tell me so I can remove it.  (If I’ve removed your post, I hope there are no hard feelings, but people come to this post for Real Food ideas, and I don’t want to disappoint.)

3.  I hope you’ll retweet and stumble this post and also any sites you visit – this will get more exposure to all of us, thank you!

4.  Don’t have a blog?  We still want to hear from you!  Please leave your tips or recipes in the comments.

Thank you!

You’re up, and we can’t wait to see your stuff!

1 Megan February 16, 2011 at 12:24 am

I linked up my real food version of the chocolate power bar, reducing the ingredients from 24 to 3! Enjoyed your post yesterday.

2 Christina @ Spoonfed February 16, 2011 at 12:36 am

Posting this week about the new FoodCorps initiative, which is recruiting people to work in underserved schools for a year, where they

3 Kimberly Jacobson February 16, 2011 at 12:44 am

Posted a recipe for those of us who are trying to reduce sugar consumption without feeling completely deprived! Goodbye Mr. Reese’s!

4 Stanley Fishman February 16, 2011 at 1:10 am

My post this week is about a way to turn the food pyramid on its head with a nutritious high-fat, low-carb side dish. It can be satisfying as a breakfast too.

5 Melissa Fritcher February 16, 2011 at 1:36 am

I’m trying hard day after day to provide the best for my family. For some reason I never feel up to par. However, tonight, after a foray to the other side of the nutritional tracks, I’m feeling darn good about what I provide for my family. Wow, have restaurants always been that yuck? I hate feeling at war with food, and I don’t feel that way when I’m low-carb Primal. I feel at peace and in harmony with what’s on my plate and going in my body. I feel proud of what I give my growing children. I hope I will always strive to do better, but tonight, I feel like GOLD.

6 alex@amoderatelife February 16, 2011 at 1:45 am

Hey Kel! Things here are finally settling down after a crazy two weeks of traveling and concerts and fun. I love the fun, I don’t necessarily like how it backs up the rest of my life! Sharing more of my Baby Steps to a Rockin’ life which include a few frugal and healthy tips this week! All the best and big hugs too! Alex

7 hellaD February 16, 2011 at 3:52 am

Hey Kelly! Thanks for hosting again, and thanks for that great interview with Sally Fallon Morell. I’m sharing my newest discovery in the fermented food world — KefirKraut! Delich…

8 Ami February 16, 2011 at 6:23 am

Hi! I’m new here! I posted a super yummy salmon salad wrap recipe. My blog, which is fairly new, is all about real food and simple living. Come on over and take a look!

9 Beth (Belle Squeaks) February 16, 2011 at 6:45 am

Hi Kelly–even though I know you’re trying to get away from grains a bit, I had to share this buttermilk buckwheat pancake recipe. It’s divine! I adapted it from a vintage recipe (love vintage recipes from back when people weren’t afraid of fats and slower cooking methods!) and have made it for my family multiple times with rave reviews each time. (Cooking in coconut oil seems to be a key step.) Anyway, the recipe soaks overnight and then makes enough delicious pancakes in the morning to feed a starving horde. I use your pancake freezing method of putting them in a ziploc bag with waxed paper between each cake. Makes an easy (and delicious) reheated breakfast. Hope you enjoy!

10 Elizabeth @ The Nourished Life February 16, 2011 at 7:32 am

I got to interview Pam Killeen about her new book Addiction: The Hidden Epidemic. She has some incredible insights about preventing and treating addiction the natural way. You can listen to our podcast on my blog.

11 chris@getrealchris February 16, 2011 at 7:39 am

Thanks for hosting us Kelly! Today I’m sharing my recipe for Taco Seasoning. Ditch the nasty seasoning packets and make you own!

12 Lynn February 16, 2011 at 7:48 am

Thanks for hosting this blog carnival/hop!

13 Nikki @NAONutrition.com February 16, 2011 at 7:48 am

I sent out my NAO Nutrition newsletter yesterday which is all about natural ways to beating the February flu and boosting your immune system. I included a recipe for traditional chicken soup with bone broth. Check it out:

14 City Share February 16, 2011 at 7:57 am

Thanks for hosting the blog hop. In my post I’m sharing some tips for delicious liver and onions.

15 Joanna February 16, 2011 at 8:03 am

Sorry about the post that says “Joanna” – I guess I messed up the “name” part. I’m new at this! I linked to my brand new blog – a recipe for shallot-cranberry chicken salad with tips for making your own mayo. Thanks for hosting, Kelly!

16 AndreAnna (Life as a Plate) February 16, 2011 at 8:41 am

I posted my recipe for a whole “grain” cracker with no grains at all !! I used pepitas – pumpkin seeds – parmesan and pecan meal to make a super crispy cracker and then topped it with a warm scallion cream cheese dip!

Thanks for hosting!

17 Patty February 16, 2011 at 8:44 am

I’m sharing lots of new recipes via http://www.chowstalker.com. It’s a taastespotting/foodgawker type site for real food bloggers! It specifically caters to those following a grain free diet, but is very WAP and GAPS friendly. I hope it will become another useful tool and welcome any suggestions or feedback!

18 Sense of Home February 16, 2011 at 8:45 am

Thanks for hosting Kelly!

-Brenda

19 jenna Food WIth Kid Appeal February 16, 2011 at 8:53 am

this week i have a few leafy greens recipes and my story on how i finally fell in love with collard greens. my enthusiasm is working on the kids too, they are gobbling up with less grumbling. i’m looking for more! share your favorite leafy green recipe in the comments on my post, thanks :)

20 Crunchy Pickle February 16, 2011 at 9:10 am

I am trying to find economical versions of low-carb real food dinners. Here’s one of my best attempts: http://www.thecrunchypickle.com/2011/02/14/chicken-curry-clafouti-upgrade/

21 Kimberly Hartke February 16, 2011 at 9:12 am

Today, instead of a recipe, I am sharing a lovely story about how a family cow brings love and joy into your life!

22 Jill @ The Prairie Homestead February 16, 2011 at 9:35 am

I am sharing my Parmesan Tilapia recipe- it’s perfect for even the most skeptical fish eater! Thanks for hosting RFW Kelly, lots of great entries today!

23 Crystal February 16, 2011 at 10:08 am

Today I’m sharing the Seafood Risotto recipe that we made for Valentine’s Day. It was delicious and easier than I thought it would be!

24 lydia February 16, 2011 at 10:21 am

Hey Kelly!!

I am sharing a ferment recipe I came up with using winter veggies in an asian style. Thanks again for hosting!

25 Ravi February 16, 2011 at 10:45 am

This week i present part 2 of my 3 part discussion postulating that our paleo pals husbanded at least goats if not other mammals (like the Lapp people in northern europe and their reindeer) waaaaay back further than the fertile crescent “domestication” time making our adaptation to dairy products much older than previously (and rather poorly) theorized. Enjoy!

26 Andrea / True Nourishment February 16, 2011 at 11:19 am

What do you do with the fruit you have around the house that

27 Arlene (contradictoire) February 16, 2011 at 11:37 am

We are having a real cold February up north. So we did some baking to keep warm.
    Thanks for hosting.

28 Michelle February 16, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I’m sorry, Kelly, this is my first time sharing and I didn’t realize not to put my name instead of the topic in #56 (so I corrected with #57). Thanks for sharing all of these recipes for everyone, I’m thinking I’ll have to try #7 with organ meats, it can sometimes be difficult prepare them in an appetizing way! :)

29 Ashley February 16, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Hi everyone!

I was formerly blogging at LifeInk but my co-bloggers and I decided LifeInk has multiplied into separate blogs so now I’ve set up LifeInk Foodie. I hope you like the new site!

This week I took a closer look at the ingredients in my “natural” conditioner and was pretty surprised with what I found.

Have a great week all!
    Ashley

30 Andrea (Andreas Kitchen) February 16, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Hi Kelly!
    This week I am sharing my recipe for Green Bean Salad With Fennel, Dried Blueberries and Blue Cheese. The combination of flavors is amazing! If people haven’t tried fennel (anise) before, I hope they will try this recipe. The key is to buy smaller heads of fennel if you can and make sure they are really fresh.
    Thanks for hosting!

31 Jenn V. February 16, 2011 at 12:55 pm

#61 – Intro to the Non-Toxic Home Care series. Some changes you can start making TODAY to make your home a safer place.

32 Shannon February 16, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I loved your interview with Sally Fallon!! Thanks for that.

I’m linking up to a great country chicken liver pate recipe I use, that has white wine and mushrooms in it. I also shared some of my thoughts on liver in the post.

Have a great week! :)

Shannon

33 sherri February 16, 2011 at 1:54 pm

This is my first time linking. I am sharing a recipe for an old fashioned comfort food, shepherd’s pie! Made the whole foods way with organic ingredients, grass fed beef and raw cheese. One of my family’s favorite dinners.

34 Amy Love @ Real Food Whole Health February 16, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I’m sharing a super easy pudding recipe- it’s gluten-free with dairy free options. Enjoy!

35 Katie @ Wellness Mama February 16, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Sharing my meal plan for the week with full recipes and shopping list to make real food eating easy. Includes things like healthy slow cooker ribs and homemade Pizza (meatza) packed with protein that is very close to taste and texture of junk food pizza but with all real ingredients (Kids love this and it is GAPS legal and gluten free)

36 Shu Han February 16, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I’m sharing a recipe which shows you how to incorporate the whole fish (mackerel) into your meals, not just expensive salmon fillets. And shows you how to make use of the whole plant, root and leaves (:

37 Beth February 16, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I blogged about making cold breakfast cereal without an oven. I’m late in the game so I’ll post the link here as well:

I can’t wait look through all of the posts!

38 the good soup February 16, 2011 at 5:16 pm

My blog post’s all about mangos, they’re almost gone in Australia until the end of the year. I should complain. At least we get them!

39 Meg February 16, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I posted a recipe for braised red beans, which is a nice alternative to the “red beans and rice” that seems to be the only recipe for red beans on the internet! These beans are substantial enough that you don’t need to eat them with any kind of grain. I made homemade bacon, too – from pastured pork – and used the bacon fat I’d saved to fry the onions and carrots in. So, so good!

40 Dori February 16, 2011 at 8:05 pm

I’m sharing recipes for my three favorite fermented beverages.
    Thanks Kelly!

41 sara February 16, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Thanks for another week of hosting a great post! I shared some heirloom veggie garden plans!

42 Jenna Hoskinson February 16, 2011 at 9:26 pm

put up some healthy breakfast ideas :)

43 Jennifer February 16, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Hi, Kelly – thanks for hosting! I shared my recipe for marinated chicken hearts, a delicious and healthy Brazilian favorite I grew up with :)

44 Jessica@Crunchy-Chewy Mama February 16, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I’ve shared a report from the Weston A. Price Foundation’s press conference this past Monday criticizing the USDA dietary guidelines and presenting their alternative Healthy 4 Life guidelines. Video of the press conference and other links are there plus as much summary as I could get written in time!

(and sorry about the name in the auto link – won’t do again!)

45 KitchenKop February 17, 2011 at 5:41 am

Welcome to all of you who said you are new this week! :)

46 Michelle @onandoffmyplate February 17, 2011 at 10:10 am

Thanks for hosting….great links this week…I know I am going to make the pepita crackers and the Asian chicken…so far…still more links to look at.

47 Adrienne @ Whole New Mom.com February 25, 2011 at 10:42 am

I’m sharing the easiest recipe for making your own coconut milk. Makes my life easier and cheaper!

48 EmmaFields January 12, 2013 at 4:21 am

The students and faculty go to school on Saturdays to either study or to be able to others. I would so never permit it to be in that school! she laughed. They compete, but they never cut the other down. And all that happens not because it’s easy, but because they fail to allow themselves each and every option than to succeed, even when life outside of those walls gives them no indication of support and hope. The star also thanked Walgreens for not only having the greatest pick of lip gloss, but for donating $100,000 on the charter school. The amazing men and women of Warren Easton will leave the halls and make this world a better place for all of us. Bullock then received a standing ovation out from the star-studded crowd that included Emma Watson, Katy Perry and Jennifer Aniston.