Real Food Wednesday 1/26/11

January 26, 2011 · 70 comments

RealFoodWednesdays

It’s that crazy time of the week when you entice us with your links and comments to go check out your blogs and your great REAL FOOD WEDNESDAY tips and ideas! (If you’re a blogger, you’ll draw some good traffic to your site…)

First, can you help?

1.  It’s not easy for me to catch them all on my own, and I’d really like everyone to play fair, so if you see any posts that don’t link back to this post (blog carnival etiquette you know!) , can you email me please?  Kelly@KellytheKitchenKop.com.  (I hate playing hardball and removing links, so let’s all be good to the others who are bringing more traffic to your blogs with their links by doing the same, OK?)

2.  Also, PLEASE let me know if you see a post that is blatantly not Real Food.  Someone who is striving and on the journey is one thing (as we all are), but if it’s really bad (canned bread, Velveeta, margarine, Egg Beaters, unfermented soy, or other fake food), please tell me so I can remove it.  (If I’ve removed your post, I hope there are no hard feelings, but people come to this post for Real Food ideas, and I don’t want to disappoint.)

3.  I hope you’ll retweet, share on Facebook, and stumble this post and also any sites you visit – this will get more exposure to all of us, thank you!

4.  Don’t have a blog?  We still want to hear from you!  Please leave your tips or recipes in the comments.

Thank you!

You’re up, and we can’t wait to see your stuff!

1 Our Whole Food Journey January 26, 2011 at 12:26 am

OK, this week, I’m linking tonight’s experiment with trying to get a brand new super food into our diets… Liver. I knew my 11 y/o son would nix the idea just because of the stigma attached to liver, something we’ve never eaten. So, I got sneaky. Stop by and see what I did :)

2 Butterpoweredbike January 26, 2011 at 12:29 am

Thank you for hosting :) I’m sharing a recipe for a sleepy time tea.

3 lani January 26, 2011 at 12:36 am

Happy Wednesday!

4 Alea January 26, 2011 at 12:42 am

Thanks for hosting. I am sharing a post on root vegetable recipes. Root Vegetables are so healthy and frugal. I am still using up the surplus from my fall garden. I’m hoping to time it so that they last until my spring greens come up.

5 Andrea (Andreas Kitchen) January 26, 2011 at 1:01 am

Hi Kelly- thanks for hosting!
    This week I am sharing my recipe for Zucchini Lasagna. It is gluten free and low carb because zucchini is substituted for the lasagna noodles. There is not much cheese in this recipe either, just a little on the top.

6 alex@amoderatelife January 26, 2011 at 1:45 am

Hi Kel! Sitting here Waiting for another durned storm! I do hope it is all past by thursday because my lucky bratty parents are going to Fiji for a few weeks and I have to drive them to the airport! They should be taking MEEEE….! Sharing my baby steps to a rockin’ life that everyone is having such fun with! Thanks for hosting! Big hugs! Alex

7 Durga Fuller January 26, 2011 at 1:47 am

Encouragement to remember to be a human being, rather than a human doing – and a recipe for grass fed beef mole. Yum!

8 roz January 26, 2011 at 6:56 am

Hi Kelly, thanks for hosting again; all linked up with a link back to here! Stop by on Thursday night if you can for another Fresh Clean and Pure Friday link-up. Have a great day! Roz

9 Kristia@Family Balance Sheet January 26, 2011 at 7:24 am

I submitted a very quick and easy dish, Sausage and Spinach Pasta.

Thanks for the link-up.

10 Beth January 26, 2011 at 7:24 am

I posted on soaking beans (and my experience with beans/corn that’s unsoaked) and fermented lemonade.

11 leah January 26, 2011 at 7:43 am

I posted a recipe for my current favorite breakfast!

12 chris@getrealchris January 26, 2011 at 7:59 am

Thanks for hosting Kelly. This week I share my recipe for Asian Barbecued Beef Brisket which is so easy because it’s cooked in the crock pot.

13 Ray - Pure Spontaneity January 26, 2011 at 8:17 am

I posted some real food snapshots of a few of my latest dishes

14 jenna Food WIth Kid Appeal January 26, 2011 at 8:23 am

i tried a mashed potato crust quiche, perfect way to use up left over mashed potatoes. also, i have a new design on header, social icons and brand new tagline. come see what you think :)

15 Meagan January 26, 2011 at 8:41 am

I’m sharing a soup I made last week. It’s great for everyone! Including sneaking some veggies into your kiddos diets! OR your husbands and fathers ;) Enjoy everyone – stay warm!!!!

16 Belinda @zomppa January 26, 2011 at 9:03 am

Wonderful dishes!! I need to try pretty much all of these. Thanks, y’all!

17 Nourishing Nancy January 26, 2011 at 9:12 am

I made a new video showing the progress on my new “WAP” smile: wide and beautiful! Working on it, folks.
    As always, thank you Kelly for hosting this event. It is invaluable for getting the word out and becoming part of community here. : )

18 Crystal January 26, 2011 at 9:26 am

After the holiday craziness, it’s back to my routine–and the farmers’ market! I’m sharing some of my favorite tips, whether you’re a frequent visitor or have never been to a farmers’ market.

19 Amanda @ the Rebuild blog January 26, 2011 at 9:40 am

I wrote about oyster — a nutritional powerhouse and one of nature’s best foods for depression.

20 Garden Variety Mama January 26, 2011 at 10:00 am

Thanks for hosting, Kelly! This week I’m sharing a recipe for Spanish Tortilla, along with some memories of my unsuccessful vegetarian days in Spain.

21 Miz Helen January 26, 2011 at 10:01 am

I brought a Green Chili Chicken Bake to share today. Hope that all of you enjoy it. Thank you for hosting and you have a great week!

22 Amanda @ the Rebuild blog January 26, 2011 at 10:14 am

Great week! I’m totally lost over here in all of the real food goodness.

23 The Prairie Homestead January 26, 2011 at 10:20 am

I linked up my post on making sprouted flour. I tried it for the first time this week. Thanks for hosting Kelly!

24 Crunchy Pickle January 26, 2011 at 10:37 am

I have a question for any out there feeding babies/young children real food. My son will be one in a couple of weeks. What should I give him to drink if we don’t have access to raw milk? He recently weaned himself so nursing is not an option. Does anyone have a suggestion for that age 1-2 where the conventional wisdom is to drink whole milk from the store several times a day?
    Thanks in advance for your tips!
    & Thanks again, Kelly, for a great site!!!

25 KitchenKop January 26, 2011 at 11:38 am

My suggestion is what Sally Fallon has suggested before in lieu of raw milk: real cream watered down, as long as it’s NOT ultra-pasteurized. (Cream has more of the protective fat so that it’s less damaged by pasteurization.)

26 Crunchy Pickle January 26, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Thanks for the quick reply!

27 Elizabeth @ The Nourished Life January 26, 2011 at 10:54 am

When I asked my Facebook fans what natural remedies they used for headaches, I got so many helpful responses I decided to share them in a blog post!

28 Diana@Spain in Iowa January 26, 2011 at 11:06 am

Hi Kelly! I just put up a link to share the details of my first culinary tour through Andalucia, Spain! It’s going to be a great time :D

29 Megan @ Purple Dancing Dahlias January 26, 2011 at 11:12 am

Sharing a friends recipe for Rice Custard.

30 Ashley January 26, 2011 at 11:42 am

Hi everyone!

This week I share two quick and tasty egg recipes. Great for those nights when you forgot to defrost meat or have been running around all day and need a fast, satisfying meal!

Thanks for hosting Kelly and thanks to all the other bloggers for the great content! :)

31 Wardeh @ GNOWFGLINS January 26, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Hi, Kelly and all! I’m sharing a scalloped potato meal that uses up whatever leftover pieces of meat you have. Or make it plain as a side dish. Either way — good comfort food with healthy fats from milk, cream, butter and cheese.

32 Jenn January 26, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I’ve linked to my latest blog post about nourishing comfort food during illness.

33 Carla January 26, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I posted a recipe for low carb, gluten free/grain free bread with a banana version! I’m very excited about it since it’s easy to make and the ingredients are easy for me to obtain (not to mention I have a stockpile in the freezer, lol!). I also like it because I am trying so hard to find protein and fat packed foods for the kids to eat and/or take to school without nuts and slathered with butter, the banana bread should fit the bill!

34 Laurie January 26, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Good morning! I’m sharing my latest post on 100% whole grain soaked pancakes turned soaked waffles (the batter works great for either). My kids LOVED these last weekend.

35 Angela January 26, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Im posting a recipe for my super Easy Pot Roast and Veggies!

Thank you for hosting!

36 susu January 26, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I posted about a soup company describing what real ingredients are. I am so glad I now know the true definition of “real ingredients.”

37 Megan January 26, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I posted a review I recently wrote about a special book (Special-Needs Kids Go Pharm-Free) that explains how to use nutrition tools instead of prescription drugs, to help kids with autism, asthma, ADHD, allergies, mood and learning problems, sleep problems, and much more.

38 Soli January 26, 2011 at 3:06 pm

My post this week isn’t specifically real food, but I am on the hunt for real food treats I can make up as gifts as part of my challenge. If you want to cut down on your consumerism, debt, or just want to make more gifts for people, please join my challenge!

39 Shannon January 26, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Hi Kelly!

I’ve had a bit of a blog holiday, but this week I’m posting from Ascot, UK, about the delightful clotted cream I’ve been enjoying here daily. What a wonderful thing it is!!

:) Shannon

40 Lisa January 26, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Thanks for hosting!
    This week I posted about all my great finds at the Santa Monica Farmer’s Market; fresh truffles, fresh olives, dates, etc…

41 Denise January 26, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Kelly….I received this email from someone apparently representing you. Tell me would you be offended if you received this email?

I came to your blog from Kelly The Kitchen Kop’s Real Food Wednesday’s blog and I was highly disappointed to find your recipe that does not adhere to the rules of RFW. Those of us who eat REAL FOOD do not buy packaged taco seasoning or ranch dressing mix, and I have never heard of “meatless meat”. Please know I asked Kelly to remove your post from her RFW.

Next time you do post in her RFW, please link back to her blog.

Heather Coulter
    mcoulter@slb.com

I’m aware there are rules, I wasn’t aware that taco seasoning and ranch dressing mix was so offensive though. I would have been understanding had she just told me instead of being so rude about it. “Those of us who eat REAL FOOD” Really? Could she sound anymore of a stuck up snob? Also, I had a link back on my linky page that includes all of the linky’s we join. I have since removed it and I won’t be participating in yours anymore. These things are suppose to be fun, but when you receive emails like this one it takes all of the fun out of it!

42 Denise January 26, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Next time you do post in her RFW, please link back to her blog.

Heather Coulter
    mcoulter@slb.com

I’m aware there are rules, I wasn’t aware that taco seasoning and ranch dressing mix was so offensive though. I would have understood had she just told me instead of being so rude about it. “Those of us who eat REAL FOOD

43 KitchenKop January 26, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Denise, I didn’t realize ’til after I replied to your email that this was actually a comment.

For the rest of you, I apologized to Denise for the way that was said, not how I’d have worded it! Here was the rest of my email to her:

“I did remove the link, but more because of the fake meat than anything. I actually only switched to homemade taco seasoning recently (from the organic packets) when I realized how easy it was to throw together.

The whole RFW thing is so hard to know how to handle it. On one hand I really don’t want to come off snobbish, because I have a long way to go myself still, but on the other hand, I want people to know that the recipes they’re looking for on RFW are pretty good, ‘safe’, whatever.

Again, I’m so sorry for how that was handled!”

44 hellaD January 27, 2011 at 1:39 am

Wow! Awesome collection of recipes and so many too, very cool. I nearly didn’t get my post done in time this week–all about my experiences with the GAPS diet because I got infested with a toxic fungus while living in New Zealand and how kefir, especially raw milk kefir have really helped the healing process exponentially. Thanks for hosting Kelly!

45 Katie @ Wellness Mama January 27, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Thanks for hosting. I’ve seen some great recipes!

46 Christina @ Spoonfed January 29, 2011 at 4:13 pm

With all the stories this week about new “nutrition” labels and uproars over fake foods passing for real (beef, blueberries and more), I’m posting with a plea: Ignore the labels and the claims, and just read the ingredients.

(Posting late, but better that than never!)

Thanks, Kelly.

Spoonfed: Raising kids to think about the food they eat

47 the good soup January 30, 2011 at 5:29 am

Hi Everyone, I’m new to this great Wednesday Event, so I’m posting on Sunday! Silly me. And I also only posted to my home page. Double silly me. I promise, I will get much better at this! My post was for old fashion chicken stock recipe- 8 steps to the perfect stock. Please check it out and see what you think! http://www.thegoodsoup.com/skills/stock-making/8-steps-to-making-chicken-stock-the-old-fashion-way/
    My whole website focusses on simple, whole food, that is very carefully sourced. See you this Wednesday! Cheers, Angela