By now most of you have seen the new and especially sickening TV commercials about High Fructose Corn Syrup.
Don't fall for their sweet talk.
photo by edcrowle
If you've seen them, you know that they're making three claims:
- They casually say that High Fructose Corn Syrup is “made from corn”, as if that was a good and natural thing – but we know it is genetically modified corn, and if you think it is natural, think again. Also, take a look at this: “Is Corn Making Us Fat?”
- They say it has the same calories as sugar, but forgot to mention this: “The body processes the fructose in high fructose corn syrup differently than it does old-fashioned cane or beet sugar, which in turn alters the way metabolic-regulating hormones function. It also forces the liver to kick more fat out into the bloodstream. The end result is that our bodies are essentially tricked into wanting to eat more and at the same time, we are storing more fat.” (From my other High Fructose Corn Syrup post.) Also, read the WAPF article on the Double Danger of HFCS.
- They used that icky “moderation” word again, I do not like it Sam I am. So it's OK to let our kids drink pop in moderation? OK, so maybe if that means once a month at Grandma's like it does for my kids (and even that makes my skin crawl, I just take a big breath…), but I have a feeling for many that means only one a day, or only one before lunch, or who knows what that could mean?
WHAT ABOUT YOU?
If you've seen these commercials, comment below and let us know what you thought of them?
Posts on the topic are all over the blogosphere this week.
- Jeremy at Almost Fit mentions the other thing that made me sick in these commercials – the way they make those who have heard that HFCS isn't good for us look stupid. I could let this roll off my back if I knew no one was going to fall for any of it, but like Jeremy says, this will most likely breed more confusion into the topic and people are likely to throw up their hands in frustration and use that moderation word again. Here's Jeremy's post: On High Fructose Corn Syrup and Weapons of Mass Destruction.
- Scott at Modern Forager includes videos of the commercials in his post: The Corn Lobby Is REALLY Desperate. Do People Believe This Stuff?
- “All Natural”? Read this to find out why everyone should avoid HFCS like the plague, especially diabetics and children!
- Read more on sugars and the best choices!