Real Food Wednesday 6/15/11

June 15, 2011 · 75 comments

RealFoodWednesdays

It’s that crazy time of the week when you entice us with your links and comments to go check out your blogs and your great REAL FOOD WEDNESDAY tips and ideas or recipes! (Visit that link if you’re new and want to learn more about this blog carnival.) Remember, if you’re a blogger, you’ll draw some good traffic to your site by participating! (This is how I built up my traffic in the beginning.)

CAN YOU HELP?

1. It’s not easy for me to catch them all on my own, and I’d really like everyone to play fair, so if you see any posts that don’t link back to this post (blog carnival etiquette you know!), can you email me please? Kelly@KellytheKitchenKop.com. If you don’t know how, I explain it at this REAL FOOD WEDNESDAY link. (I hate playing hardball and removing links, so let’s all be good to the others who are bringing more traffic to your blogs with their links by doing the same, OK?)

2. Also, PLEASE let me know if you see a recipe posted that is blatantly not Real Food. Someone who is striving and on the journey is one thing (as we all are), but if it’s really bad (canned bread, Velveeta, margarine, Egg Beaters, unfermented soy or any other fake food), please tell me so I can remove it. (If I’ve removed your post, I hope there are no hard feelings, but people come to this post for Real Food ideas, and I don’t want to disappoint.)

3. I hope you’ll retweet and stumble this post and also any sites you visit – this will get more exposure to all of us, thank you!

4. Don’t have a blog? We still want to hear from you! Please leave your tips or recipes in the comments.

Thank you!

You’re up, and we can’t wait to see your stuff!

1 Amanda Rose June 15, 2011 at 12:48 am

Hi everyone. I posted about vitamin D, sunlight, and diet. Vitamin D and depression can be related and now, out in full sun, is the time to stock up.

2 Butterpoweredbike June 15, 2011 at 12:51 am

Hi Kelly! I’m sharing my recipe for Nettle Party Dip. It’s like the spinach dip that was popular in years past, except this one is made with (foraged, free, and super nutritious) nettles, and goat cheese. Nom.

3 Stanley Fishman June 15, 2011 at 1:17 am

My post this week is about how butter is full of nutrition, in spite of what the government’s “MyPlate” says about it. Butter is one of the most nutrient-dense foods!

4 Kelsy @ The Liberated Kitchen June 15, 2011 at 1:19 am

I shared our “Starting GAPS” article, which lays out the strategies you need to undertake this amazing, life changing diet.

5 Lisa @ Real Food Digest June 15, 2011 at 2:08 am

Thanks for hosting Kelly!
    I wrote a Beginner’s Guide to Healthier Eating after many conversations with friends who don’t know where to start. I’m hoping people will comment with their own suggestions for beginner’s.

6 Wendy Peck June 15, 2011 at 2:44 am

HI Kelly. Great idea. I posted a link with just my name — I guess I should have put in a title. The post is about how I manage a large number of spices, especially since I buy them at the bulk store in small amounts. Love to hear what people think.

7 Wendy Peck June 15, 2011 at 2:55 am

I had to get a title into my entry. Kelly, please feel free to delete the link with just Wendy Peck. Sorry for the newbie bumble.

8 Lori @ Laurel of Leaves June 15, 2011 at 4:02 am

I linked up to my standard ‘go-to’ potato salad recipe. Nothing incredibly fancy, but it’s perfect for summer cookouts or potlucks! :)

9 Katie June 15, 2011 at 5:06 am

I just had to post about my attempt to make miso (soybean-free, even)!

10 Jill June 15, 2011 at 5:40 am

HI Kelly,
    I shared my grilled wild salmon and two articles I hope you enjoy! Thanks For hosting!

11 Soli @ I Believe In Butter June 15, 2011 at 6:47 am

HI Kelly and everyone. This week I have a review of the book Please don’t eat the wallpaper! which is directed at teaching some basic nutrition to teens. Does it pass the test?

12 kristin celeste June 15, 2011 at 7:12 am

I have shared two great farm-to-table vegan recipes this week:

- grilled vegetables with sassy green sauce and lemon balm herbal soda
    - swiss chard alfredo (vegan)

Thank you for hosting!

Happy cooking!

13 Kimberly Hartke June 15, 2011 at 7:20 am

Do you know someone a little under the weather? Low energy, low immunity?

Try serving them a kefir shake. It will cheer them up while restoring their health.

14 katie June 15, 2011 at 7:27 am

I shared 2 recipes for homemade refrigerator biscuits that are great to make with kids, and homemade breakfast “sausages.”

Thanks for hosting!

15 Primal Toad June 15, 2011 at 7:55 am

Today’s post that I am submitting is on grains and why you should ditch them NOW! You could possibly save your life or someone elses.

With that being said understand that I use the 80/20 rule which I talk about in today’s post on my blog.

16 NCSue June 15, 2011 at 8:19 am

Thank you for hosting.
    I have a page on my site that lists more than 250 hops, memes, and photo challenges

17 Sarah Smith June 15, 2011 at 8:23 am

I’ve shared a recipe for grape vanilla water kefir soda, and also a post about observations and recipes from an 1841 cookbook.

18 Lori June 15, 2011 at 8:53 am

Thanks for hosting this. I shared an easy chickpea recipe that can be used as a side dish or a main dish! I’m looking forward to looking at what others posted!

19 Laurie June 15, 2011 at 9:13 am

Thanks for hosting, Kelly. Today I linked up a post on pizza flavored sourdough crackers. All my friends were impressed when I whipped them out for tasting out our food and nutrition class. They couldn’t believe they were homemade.

20 Andrea (From Seed to Stomach) June 15, 2011 at 9:36 am

I just shared my latest post, Farm Aid Documentary Ingredients and Dinner at Veggie Planet. The documentary was great and it was followed by an interesting panel discussion. We went to a local vegetarian restaurant after the panel, so I included that, too.

21 Roxanne June 15, 2011 at 9:48 am

Thanks for hosting! I just posted my super quick and easy Chicken Avocado Burgers. We love these on summer nights!

22 Stephanie June 15, 2011 at 10:30 am

oh, I’m looking forward to the bits from the 1841 cookbook! Old cookbooks and recipes fascinate me.

I posted up a great late summer salad featuring aspargus, potato, garden greens, kidney beans, and shallots with lemon and herbs. Very tasty, not too heavy, and pretty easy for a main dish salad.

23 Megh June 15, 2011 at 10:36 am

Thanks for hosting! I posted one of a series I’m doing about our recent road trip.

24 Shanon Hilton June 15, 2011 at 10:47 am

Thanks for hosting, I’ve posted a little rant on rising food allergies. Enjoy!

25 dani June 15, 2011 at 10:49 am

added my recipe for chicken lettuce wraps!

26 Bibi June 15, 2011 at 11:24 am

Thanks for hosting this great recipe exchange again….so many great recipes.

Today I linked up my perfect summer dish….Bruschetta. Hope you enjoy it.

27 Terri June 15, 2011 at 11:55 am

#52-Almost Cinnabon Cinnamon Rolls…….Real Food? REALLY? Sounds yummy, however, I don’t think this recipe can be classified as real food. UNLESS it could possibly be reworked with sourdough, unrefined sugar etc.
    I realize that homemade is usually a better choice than store bought but maybe Real Food Weds isn’t the avenue for this one.

28 Roseann June 15, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Hi everyone,

I’m sharing a recipe for homemade Split Pea, lentil and barley soup. It’s easy and doesn’t take a lot of time to prepare. And it’s great for vegetarians too.

Thank you Kelly for this opportunity to post. I’ve learned a lot from this website.

29 Lea H June 15, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Okay, I got that wrong! I put my name in instead of the title of my blog post.

This is what I linked to: http://www.naturalfamilyawareness.com/health/index.php/2011/06/14/finally-a-nutrition-text-that-gets-it-right/

30 Melissa @ Dyno-mom June 15, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Wow, it is nice to be back and very nice to see all the good cooking happening! I am working on a series of posts on how I get it all done with ten kids running amok. It takes work, but really isn’t bad and the pay off is worth it. See you all around your own cyber-pads at naptime for the kiddos!

31 Lea H June 15, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I shared Week 3 of using Cooking Traditional Foods Back to Basics menu mailer: http://www.naturalfamilyawareness.com/health/index.php/2011/06/05/cooking-traditional-foods-week-3/

32 Nourishing Nancy June 15, 2011 at 1:41 pm

It’s nearly summertime, and the taste of soured, crisp pickles with fresh dill is something that ushers in that warm weather for our family! Hope you enjoy this easy recipe!

33 Kate @ Modern Alternative Mama June 15, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I shared about how to purchase a whole animal (or half, quarter, side, etc.) today. It’s our favorite way to buy meat, especially pigs! We’re so looking forward to doing it again.

34 Allie {@ This Precious Life} June 15, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I shared how to make homemade yogurt (in mason jars) on the stove top/in your oven. So easy! :)

35 Tamlynn June 15, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Yum! My kids capitalize on our fresh and dried herbs and make some great sales at the local homeschooler’s entrepreneur day.

36 Kelly @ The Nourishing Home June 15, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Hi, Kelly! I just shared a guest post I did at Like a Bubbling Brook for a decadent cherry tart. YUM! Appreciate you hosting! Blessings, kel :)

37 Heather @ Sense by Nonsense June 15, 2011 at 3:30 pm

#81 is an overview of what will be taught during Monica Corrado’s Conference in Broomfield, Colorado in mid July. It promises to be very insightful and the price is very reasonable. I hope to see you there!!

38 RAWR. Eating Paleo. Living Out Loud. Flying by the Seat of My Pants June 15, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Hey Y’all! *snicker* I shared another post about my journey through educating my son, coercing and threatening starvation (not really) to hopefully convince him that Paleo is the best choice most of the time.

39 Donna Bauman June 15, 2011 at 9:39 pm

I’m still swimming in greens so I wrote today about a tasty way to use up more greens. I made a quiche with swiss chard, gruyere cheese, sorrel, fennel, green onions, bacon, cream, eggs etc all on a almond/coconut ghee crust… yummy, yummy!

40 Renee @ Loca-Faces June 16, 2011 at 7:01 am

This post describes my impressions of the Olney Farmers Market, not far outside of Washington, DC., including some of the attractive vendors there. And then, a quick snippet about the first canning of the season — strawberries!

41 Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) June 16, 2011 at 8:31 am

Thanks for another great roundup. I shared a recipe for red lentil soup that makes the most of seasonal produce.

42 Dori June 16, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Hello,
    Thanks again Kelly!
    Today I’m sharing a recipe for Chunky Nut Butter and Sun Butter.
    Best wishes,
    Dori

43 Trina June 17, 2011 at 8:10 am

I shared what to do with garlic scapes – I’ve got handfulls from my garlic this week!

44 Christina @ Spoonfed June 17, 2011 at 10:54 am

Posting (late!) about eating well while road-tripping this summer.

Thanks, Kelly!

45 Lisa @Granola Catholic June 17, 2011 at 2:44 pm

linking up a family favorite salad this week

46 Kara June 18, 2011 at 1:12 am

This is my first link up with you. Thank you!