Real Food Wednesday 4/13/11

April 13, 2011 · 80 comments

RealFoodWednesdays

It’s that crazy time of the week when you entice us with your links and comments to go check out your blogs and your great REAL FOOD WEDNESDAY tips and ideas or recipes!  (Visit that link if you’re new and want to learn more about this blog carnival.)  Remember, if you’re a blogger, you’ll draw some good traffic to your site by participating!  (This is how I built up my traffic in the beginning.)

CAN YOU HELP?

1.  It’s not easy for me to catch them all on my own, and I’d really like everyone to play fair, so if you see any posts that don’t link back to this post (blog carnival etiquette you know!), can you email me please?  Kelly@KellytheKitchenKop.com.  If you don’t know how, I explain it at this REAL FOOD WEDNESDAY link.  (I hate playing hardball and removing links, so let’s all be good to the others who are bringing more traffic to your blogs with their links by doing the same, OK?)

2.  Also, PLEASE let me know if you see a recipe posted that is blatantly not Real Food.  Someone who is striving and on the journey is one thing (as we all are), but if it’s really bad (canned bread, Velveeta, margarine, Egg Beaters, unfermented soy or any other fake food), please tell me so I can remove it.  (If I’ve removed your post, I hope there are no hard feelings, but people come to this post for Real Food ideas, and I don’t want to disappoint.)

3.  I hope you’ll retweet and stumble this post and also any sites you visit – this will get more exposure to all of us, thank you!

4.  Don’t have a blog?  We still want to hear from you!  Please leave your tips or recipes in the comments.

Thank you!

You’re up, and we can’t wait to see your stuff!

1 bubba April 13, 2011 at 12:25 am

on board

2 Butterpoweredbike April 13, 2011 at 12:31 am

Hi, I’m sharing a post about why my garden is different and dramatically smaller this year.

3 Denise @ Creative Kitchen April 13, 2011 at 12:41 am

Thanks for hosting Kelly. This week I’m sharing my EASY & Tasty Black Bean Corn Salsa. I hope you & your readers enjoy it as much as we do!! :)

4 Real Food Dude April 13, 2011 at 12:44 am

Hi Kelly. Your post last week regarding food dye and warning labels inspired me to write my own blog post on the issue. While we both want the same thing– better informed parents– I had a slightly different take on the whole thing. I linked this post on your Real Food Wednesday this week.

Thanks,
    Regis

5 Megan April 13, 2011 at 12:44 am

Enjoyed your earlier post, “Dear Grandma and Gramps”. I grew up on a lot of convenience foods as a child in the 70s. With my family history of autoimmune disease, this was a real disaster! I think my parents are starting to appreciate the role of diet, but they still have a way to go. Wish I could get them on a whole foods diet!

6 Stanley Fishman April 13, 2011 at 1:44 am

My post this week is about how some wonderful ranchers are raising wild bison, or more accurately, staying out of the way while the bison mostly raise themselves. This results in wonderful, refreshing meat that is the nutritional equivalent of wild game, without the gaminess.

7 Belinda @zomppa April 13, 2011 at 2:59 am

Great food for thought here. Real Food Dude – it’s such a tricky thing – third party certifiers are great, but even some of those have come under fire. One issue that would emerge if who funds those third party certifiers and how to ensure they are truly independent. Great piece!

8 Real Food Dude April 13, 2011 at 9:41 am

Great point Belinda! Whenever, we choose to be a consumer of any product or service, trust can be a tricky thing. I don’t advocate blindly accepting anything as quality as a consumer honestly. Personally, I’m just more comfortable trying to hold third party certifiers accountable. Also, governments can never offer a “one-size-fits-all” labeling system of our food. Just think about how many activists with differing opinions on food there are. A variety of private certifiers would serve me better so I could pick and choose those which align with my personal values best.

9 Barb @ A Life in Balance April 13, 2011 at 5:26 am

I also read Real Food Dude’s piece. I feel frustrated that I need to verify the third party and government verification. And yet, I don’t shop by the labels. How can I when I’m going to the farmers market or local produce stand to buy my food?

This week, I submitted a recipe that my dh came up with to use up frozen shredded zucchini from last year’s garden.

10 JIll April 13, 2011 at 5:29 am

I shared my naturally dyed Easter Eggs and my Gluten-free matzoh balls with a video. Two fun projects! I hope you like them!

11 Kimberly Hartke April 13, 2011 at 5:47 am

Hi there, I added a post about ways to cook with raw milk.

By the way, I have started a new recipe blog carnival called Weekend Gourmet on my blog. It will be on Mondays. Please submit something to this past Monday’s carnival!

12 Soli @ I Believe In Butter April 13, 2011 at 6:54 am

Hi all! My post this week is about the commonalities that set apart a truly traditional diet. It’s not about the food, specifically.

13 Adrienne @ Whole New Mom April 13, 2011 at 6:56 am

Hi Kelly!

Thanks again for a great linkup.

I am sharing our latest kitchen fun project – Homemade Natural Blue Food Coloring! We used it to color frosting, as you will see in the post!

Enjoy!

14 Ray - Pure Spontaneity April 13, 2011 at 7:06 am

Today I am sharing a few of my Archevore Eats! Tri-tip steak, roasted chicken, and sirloin steak.

15 Therese - Artistta April 13, 2011 at 7:13 am

Hi everyone, this week I’m sharing a recipe for a Sweet Potato Roulade, a delicious and elegant side dish.

This dish is wonderful, with a hint of sweetness from the sweet potatoes and a nice spice from the added allspice berries. It can be a great way to get veggies into the kiddos and works perfectly for brunch or as a side with dinner.

16 Aimee April 13, 2011 at 8:20 am

I’ve linked to my peanut butter truffle snack. It’s something I stir up when I want a treat. It has that mix of peanut butter and chocolate that I love so much, and it has potential. But I usually just eat it out of the bowl.

17 Aimee April 14, 2011 at 1:11 am

Thank you for this blog, Kelly!!

18 Tina (PinayInTexas) April 13, 2011 at 8:57 am

I’m linking up my String Beans Adobo.
    Enjoy the rest of the week everyone!

19 Michelle at Openeyehealth April 13, 2011 at 8:59 am

I linked to a recipe I tried last week for spelt flour crackers! Thanks for hosting :)

20 Grace April 13, 2011 at 9:07 am

Thanks for hosting! This week I shared some information on Jerusalem artichokes and a recipe for them. Enjoy!

21 Cristina April 13, 2011 at 9:28 am

Hello! It’s a frittata sort of day… Thanks for hosting, Kelly!

22 Liz April 13, 2011 at 9:28 am

Happy Wednesday! I linked up Apple Shortbread Bars, thanks for hosting Kelly!
    Blessings,
    Liz

23 Garden Variety Mama April 13, 2011 at 9:33 am

This week, I’m sharing my recipe for from-scratch, grain-free chicken pot pie. On a cold, rainy spring night, this makes a really great dinner. And it’s toddler-approved!

24 Lori April 13, 2011 at 9:43 am

These Healthy Peanut Butter Cups rival Reese’s peanut butter cups but are incredibly healthy for you with almond butter, organic coconut oil. raw organic honey, and organic chocolate. The only trouble is that it is hard to just eat one!

25 Miz Helen April 13, 2011 at 9:56 am

I am sharing my Warm Cauliflower Salad today. Thank you for hosting and have a great week!

26 Tressa R April 13, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I can’t wait to try this. I just bought some cauliflower! :)

27 Melanie, One Wellness April 13, 2011 at 10:22 am

#58, Cruisin’ Enchiladas is my all time favorite recipe. Seriously!
    Enjoy!

28 Jenn April 13, 2011 at 11:22 am

I”m posting my thoughts on the redesign of PaNu into Archevore.

29 Sarah Smith April 13, 2011 at 11:23 am

I’ve linked up to:
    -Tips for nourishing smoothies, including the secret ingredient
    -Easy grain-free breakfasts for weekday mornings
    -Nourish your children with real foods

Thanks for hosting!

30 Megh April 13, 2011 at 11:59 am

Pickled Beef Tongue!! :)

31 Primal Toad April 13, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Thank you for posting this!!!!!!!!!

32 Primal Toad April 13, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Have any of you seen the latest terrifying news? A Chicago school banned homemade lunches. I wish it were a joke but its not. I am out to fight this and to prevent it from happening elsewhere. My post contains quotes from the yahoo article with my comments.

Help me spread the word to stop it NOW!

33 Andrea (Andreas Kitchen) April 13, 2011 at 4:51 pm

This story is shocking! Just when you think that government is already in more of your life than you would like, you hear something like this!
    I hope lots of people hear about it and it gets repealed.

34 Melissa Fritcher April 13, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Love sharing how healthy a Primal/Paleo way of life can be. Thanks so much for giving me one more avenue to put the message out there. :)

35 Lori @ The Davidson Den April 13, 2011 at 1:54 pm

It’s not Christmas, but I’m posting with my Christmas Brunch Casserole. Why? Because WE eat it year-round. And…because it’s real food. And…because it’s oh, so yummy!!

36 Julie @ Real Food in Little Rock April 13, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Discussing Easter eggs and what to put in them!!

37 Tressa R April 13, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Wow! There are a lot of recipes shared already! I’m behind. :)

I shared a recipe for Black Bean Brownies. They are fudgy, moist and delicious!

Thank you for hosting Kelly, I can’t wait to try some of these recipes.

38 Janice April 13, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I add my recipe for homemade salsa and guacamole. I do used canned tomatoes for convenience, but I only buy organic.

Thanks for hosting this carnival!

Janice
    Celebrating Family

39 dani April 13, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I added my recipe for Greek salmon with raw tzatziki! Thanks!

40 Andrea (Andreas Kitchen) April 13, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Hi Kelly! This week I am sharing my recipe for Mushrooms Stuffed With Asparagus And Bacon. This recipe is gluten free because I don’t use breadcrumbs.
    Thanks for hosting!

41 KerryAnn April 13, 2011 at 5:43 pm

I added my recent blog post on choosing the right dairy to fit your budget. And what to buy if you can’t get raw dairy.

42 Melissa @ Dyno-mom April 13, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Still loving’ Wednesday! I am sharing a slow and low oven baked brown rice pudding that is dairy free. Enjoy!

43 Tressa R April 13, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Melissa, this sounds amazing! I love rice pudding. This will def be on my menu this week to try. :)

44 Jessica @ Delicious Obsessions April 13, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Thanks, Kelly, for running this every week! I always love seeing what all is cooking around the world! :) I posted my recipe for spicy wilted beet greens.

45 Laurie April 13, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Thanks for hosting, Kelly. This week I shared a post on my son’s favorite breakfast smoothie. It’s loaded with probiotics and antioxidants, but still has bright, fun (and 100% natural) colors that kids will love.

46 Christy April 13, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Hello, I am a bit late but I shared Cube Steak Beef Stroganoff – a tasty variation on this dish!

47 Dori April 13, 2011 at 11:58 pm

I’m sharing A Gluten-Free Fairytale: The Magic Bean Cake & a recipe for Black Bean Chocolate Cake with Cocoacream Filling.

Thank You Kelly!

48 Maggie @ Maggie's Nest April 14, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Hey Kelly! I started GAPS this week and haven’t posted any recipes, but I love coming here and seeing all the REAL FOOD happening in the blogosphere! Always inspiring.

My latest post is more about why I’m on GAPS now: