Real Food Wednesday 1/12/11 (Hopefully a few more low-carb or grain-free recipes!)

January 12, 2011 · 73 comments

RealFoodWednesdays

Last week I specifically asked for low-carb/grain-free recipes for Real Food Wednesday, and I won’t do that this week.  You can share whatever you’d like, either in a link below to your site or in the comments, HOWEVER, I do have a request.  IF you are a blogger and you happen to have a page on your blog where you have a nicely compiled list of low-carb/grain-free recipes all in one spot like my list, will you link to that pretty please?  I’m itching for more and more ideas for meals and snacks, and I know they’re out there somewhere!  Plus, you all know how much I love my lists…

So anyway, now it’s that crazy time of the week when you entice us with your links and comments to go check out your blogs and your great REAL FOOD WEDNESDAY tips and ideas! (If you’re a blogger, you’ll draw some good traffic to your site…)

First, can you help?

1.  It’s not easy for me to catch them all on my own, and I’d really like everyone to play fair, so if you see any posts that don’t link back to this post (blog carnival etiquette you know!) , can you email me please?  Kelly@KellytheKitchenKop.com.  (I hate playing hardball and removing links, so let’s all be good to the others who are bringing more traffic to your blogs with their links by doing the same, OK?)

2.  Also, PLEASE let me know if you see a post that is blatantly not Real Food.  Someone who is striving and on the journey is one thing (as we all are), but if it’s really bad (canned bread, Velveeta, margarine, Egg Beaters, unfermented soy or any other fake food), please tell me so I can remove it.  (If I’ve removed your post, I hope there are no hard feelings, but people come to this post for Real Food ideas, and I don’t want to disappoint.)

3.  I hope you’ll retweet and stumble this post and also any sites you visit – this will get more exposure to all of us, thank you!

4.  Don’t have a blog? We still want to hear from you!  Please leave your tips or recipes in the comments.

Thank you!

You’re up, and we can’t wait to see your stuff!

1 Butterpoweredbike January 12, 2011 at 12:36 am

Hi Kelly, thanks for hosting :) I’m sharing my first attempt at (low carb and grain-free) suckling pig. One of our Tamworths neglected her newborns, so in order to prevent a horrible waste, they made their way into our kitchen sooner than anticipated. The meat was so tender and sweet, and we got to taste all of the more exotic bits – snout, eyeballs, brain – real nose to tail dining! And all from a pigs that were never nourished by anything other than non-gmo foods and pasture. It was an amazing treat.

2 Lisa January 12, 2011 at 12:51 am

Thanks for hosting!
    I’m sharing one of my favorite ways to use up leftover meat or chicken – in a stir-fry. Plus its low-carb – grain-free, my kids never miss the traditional rice or noodles, just make sure not to overcook the veggies. I included a few more tips on making stir-fries as well.

3 Christina @ Spoonfed January 12, 2011 at 12:52 am

Posting this week about Girl Scout cookies and why I won

4 Joy Y. January 12, 2011 at 12:56 am

What is our families’ favorite breakfast which is frugal, easily adapted to suit everyone’s tastes,full of nutrients and cooks up in less than 5 minutes? Come on over and check it out. Mmmmmmmm…yummy!

5 Sheri January 12, 2011 at 1:03 am

Today’s post is a soup recipe that I found recently that has become a favorite. Not low carb, but lots of wonderful coconut milk in this one. :-)

Sheri

6 alex@amoderatelife January 12, 2011 at 1:38 am

Hi Kelly! Hope your grain free stint is going well and you are seeing the health results you are looking for. We are hunkered down for another blizzard and it is coming down hard right now! Linking up some baby steps to a rockin’ life. It’s a fun feature! All the best and big hugs too! Alex

7 sharon January 12, 2011 at 6:34 am

It’s been cold and blustery here so I thought a pot of chili would be just the thing to warm up to after sledding or shoveling. Enjoy! Thanks for hosting.

8 Kristia@Family Balance Sheet January 12, 2011 at 6:59 am

Like Sharon above, it has been a cold and blustery winter in the Northeast too, so I compiled a list of all of the soups on my site. We have been having lots of soup/salad/bread nights at our house.

thanks for the link-up.

9 Jenn V. January 12, 2011 at 7:09 am

#21 – A post about choosing safe, nontoxic cookware. Check out the post after it, too, for tips on properly USING the cookware (and avoiding sticking). Kelly, thanks for hosting!

10 Miz Helen January 12, 2011 at 8:08 am

I brought my Baked Bean Chalupa I think it is pretty healthy. Thank you for hosting and you have a great week!

11 Sense of Home January 12, 2011 at 8:11 am

Thanks for hosting Kelly. My Linguine with Spicy Shrimp is not grain free, but it is a recipe from Cooking Light magazine. Good for the waist line, but not if you need gluten free.

-Brenda

12 leah@traditional nutrition January 12, 2011 at 8:13 am

I posted an easy-peasy way to make lacto-fermented sourkraut. Low carb.:)

13 Megan January 12, 2011 at 8:25 am

I posted a recipe for grain free banana muffins! :)

14 jenna Food WIth Kid Appeal January 12, 2011 at 8:26 am

Kelly shared a guest post from me a while back about school food reform in Spring Break ISD. I shared in that post our Eat to Learn program. Last week was one of the big huzzah events, and do you know what I found out? The vast majority of elementary students will eat real food when factory/junky food isn’t available. If you have a moment or two, come read and comment. i’m hoping our school food program and board members will eventually catch wind of the event and amazing results and be more willing to fund/approve initiatives like this district wide. a post with a bunch of comments would help me a LOT. thanks in advance. :) http://foodwithkidappeal.blogspot.com/2011/01/elementary-school-students-do-like.html

15 Sarah, The Healthy Home Economist January 12, 2011 at 8:28 am

When you’re making a low carb treat, it’s good to have a low glycemic sweetener in your back pocket and its NOT AGAVE! Can you guess?

16 Beth January 12, 2011 at 8:53 am

Okay, Kelly, you said I could post the colored sugar so here it is :). We needed some colored sugar to decorate cookies so I used dye-free food coloring and white sugar. Too easy! I actually took a picture (not my strength).

17 Jan January 12, 2011 at 8:54 am

I’ve been grain-free and low carb for awhile, so almost all of the recipes on my site are as well. Well, today’s isn’t terribly low carb – it contains winter squash, apples and onions – but it IS full of wholesome, nourishing ingredients, since the sausage is from a pastured hog and contains no nitrates, nitrites or MSG.

18 Liz, Garden Variety Mama January 12, 2011 at 9:08 am

Thanks for hosting! I am sharing my chili recipe, which is delicious. I also have a lot of other grain-free recipes on my blog, so feel free to browse around!

19 Ashley January 12, 2011 at 9:23 am

Hi Kelly! Thanks for hosting! Although my recipe isn’t low carb or low grain it does involve my next big step in consuming properly prepared grains, I gave sourdough bread a whirl for the first time and posted about it this week.

20 Debbi Does Dinner Healthy January 12, 2011 at 10:08 am

Hi, i linked my zucchini lasagna. It’s low carb and no grain. I think. Hopefully you’ll like it! Thanks!

21 The Prairie Homestead January 12, 2011 at 10:10 am

I linked up a Canning Tutorial which includes how to make healthy homemade applesauce. Thanks!

22 Kristi @ Veggie Converter January 12, 2011 at 10:14 am

I finally found a meat substitute that most definitely is whole food. It’s made with lentils and brown rice. Yum! I posted the tostadas I made with this “beef”…they are so good. Thanks for the inspiration to get more whole foods in my diet.

23 Meagan January 12, 2011 at 10:19 am

I will share a couple of my favorite low carb recipes Kelly, thanks!! :D

24 Anna @ DWELLpure January 12, 2011 at 10:20 am

I posted my lactation cookie recipe… not low carb by any means, but yummy! The only thing to watch out for is how the dried cranberries are sweetened. If you can’t find a natural sweetened kind, just leave them out, or find something else, like nuts, etc.

25 AndreAnna (Life as a Plate) January 12, 2011 at 10:24 am

Hi, thanks for hosting! I posted my recent addition that has been a hiuge hit: Grain-Free Italian “Bread”sticks! SO GOOD.

All of my recipes are grain/gluten-free and naturally low-carb. Hope you stop by!

26 Bethany January 12, 2011 at 10:28 am

My Szechuan Green Beans and Pork is a great one-pan, low-carb meal. The ingredients are easy to have on hand in the freezer, and it’s truly fast to put together.

27 Elizabeth @ The Nourished Life January 12, 2011 at 10:28 am

Correlation doesn’t equal causation. That’s the topic of today’s post and also why scientific research can appear to be incredibly confusing (especially regarding “paradoxes” like saturated fat or obesity).

28 Ray - Pure Spontaneity January 12, 2011 at 10:29 am

Smoked Chuck Roast, Sweet Potato and Apple Hash, with a simple salad. Plus a few pictures from last weeks real food.

29 Shannon January 12, 2011 at 10:38 am

Hi Kelly!

I’m sharing coconut flour blueberry muffins – a grain free snack that pairs nicely with a tall glass of raw milk, or a hot cup of tea, depending on what you fancy. Hope you and your readers enjoy!!

:) Shannon

30 Megan @ Purple Dancing Dahlias January 12, 2011 at 11:32 am

I am sharing one of our favorite hotdishes, Hot Chicken Salad. It has rice in it so I am not sure that it counts as low carb/grain free but it is really good.

31 Melissa at Dyno-mom January 12, 2011 at 11:38 am

I have ten kids and plenty of experience getting them to eat food. Here are some serious tips and a recipe for Purple Cabbage and Apples that I made last night for my brood. It is grain-free but uses juice and apples so it is not carb-free, but I hope you like it!

32 Laurie January 12, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Hi Kelly! No carbs or grains in my beef tongue! I’m sharing a post about cooking my first beef tongue. Lots of photos for newbies like myself. :-)

33 Nourishing Nancy January 12, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Thanks for hosting this event! It’s such a great way to connect with others….and for interested people to find me, too. Hope this helps with the recipe request, this was a delicious way to feel like your “cheating” on the GAPS diet–and you’re not! Great tasting, too. Have a great week.
    Nancy

34 Haley January 12, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I’ve got several gluten-free recipes on my blog. Just click on the links across the top nav for breakfast, apps, sides, main meals and dessert recipes.

35 hellaD January 12, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Hi Kelly, thanks for this. We have been on the GAPS diet since February 2010 and it has changed our lives. We still have another year before our digestive tracts will be fully healed but this diet has worked wonders for us. My partner has had serious asthma and allergies all his life and they are now pretty much gone. As a result I have been collecting various resources around the web and have put up a linky for GAPS and SCD recipes and resources. There are some fun tips there and we hope to get a lot more too.

36 Andrea (Andreas Kitchen) January 12, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Hi Kelly, thanks for hosting! I am sharing my recipe for Asian Slaw With Thai Dressing. The slaw is a perfect background for all kinds of dressings but the flavors in this Thai dressing are amazing!

37 roz January 12, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Hello Kelly, I found your blog over at Alex’s A Moderate Life. So first time to your blog hop. I’ve added a great healthy recipe. For lower-carb, all folks have to do is eliminate the wheat bun. I’m now following you and hope to receive a follow back from you so we can get to know each other better. I’m a great new health focus on my blog too! If you have any great posts (from any date) regarding how you’re cleaning up your lifestyle, please join me on Fresh, Clean, and Pure Fridays that I post on Thursdays. Bye for now, Roz

38 Tiffany@ The Coconut Mama January 12, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Hola Kelly!

Thank you for hosting! This week I’m sharing a grain free Tiramisu Pancake recipe with Cheeseslave’s coconut flour pancakes and RAW mascarpone cheese filling!

39 Jenny January 12, 2011 at 5:18 pm

All my recipes are grain and gluten free with the exception of some rice flour cookies and brownies. ; )
    We do low starch, not low carb…meaning we eat lots of fruit, upon the advice of my health care advisor.

40 Jenny January 12, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I should mention, I’ve lost 30 + lbs with ONLY dietary changes…no exercise and more naps. :)

41 Clabbermouth January 12, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Hi Kelly! I accidentally left two links to my recipe – delete the first, called “Clabbermouth” if you can!

I left a recipe for braised stew meat. It’s a great way to cook up tougher cuts of meat. I served it with polenta, but if you’re eating low-carb, just serve it over vegetables!

Kate

42 Marjorie January 12, 2011 at 10:23 pm

I’m sharing my recipe for

43 Karen in SC January 13, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I must be missing something. I’m trying to catch up with the rest here, I guess, but I thought we were all trying to get MORE grains into our diets? I’ve been pushing quinoa, barley, oats and kamut? Why are you now saying grain-free is best? Thank you for helping me understand!

44 KitchenKop January 13, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Hi Karen,

I know, it’s hard to keep up when everyone says something different, frustrating, too.

Have you seen this?

I’m not firmly in the low-carb camp, but I am convinced that we could all eat less sugar for *sure*, and fewer grains than we do now, and be better off for it.

45 Christine January 13, 2011 at 1:59 pm

The recipe I’m posting about is a great low-carb side dish. Enjoy!

46 Sherry January 15, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I’m just starting my blog about trying to get my family eating whole food. Today, I just did a simple post about making real, very simple, bone broths. I love following your blog and I’m excited about finally getting to participate. :)