Real Food Wednesday 8/18/10

August 18, 2010 · 45 comments

RealFoodWednesdays

It’s that crazy time of the week where you entice us with your links and comments to go check out your blogs and your great REAL FOOD tips and ideas! (If you’re a blogger, you’ll draw some good traffic to your site…)

What to remember:

1. A link back to this post please. (Blog carnival etiquette you know!)
  2. Retweet and stumble this post and also any sites you visit – this will get more exposure to all of us, thank you!
  3. Don’t have a blog?  We still want to hear from you!  Please leave your tips or recipes in the comments.

You’re up, and we can’t wait to see your stuff!

1 Butterpoweredbike August 18, 2010 at 12:17 am

Hi! And Happy Real Food Wednesday! I had an armful of gleaned cucumbers from the farm where MacGyver works this week. I’m so glad that I’ve gotten to the point where I’m comfortable trying to lacto-ferment just about anything (even my crazy foraged foods!), because it meant that I had no trouble making a sweet pickle relish without a recipe. And it came out great! It had all of the flavors of store-bought relish, but it also had that special fizzy zing that only a fermented food can have. Yum!

2 Avivah @ Oceans of Joy August 18, 2010 at 1:34 am

Hi, Kelly!

This week I’m sharing some of my research on xylitol, a fascinating sweetener that has surprising benefits. Does it really belong in a traditional foods diet, though? Check out my post to see what my conclusions are!

Thanks for hosting!

3 Stanley Fishman August 18, 2010 at 1:56 am

My post this week is about supporting grassfed bison, not feedlots.

4 Stacy @ Delighting in the Days August 18, 2010 at 2:58 am

Thanks for hosting Kelly. This is my first time to participate…I’m excited!

5 Soli @ I Believe in Butter August 18, 2010 at 6:49 am

I finally made it back to posting! This week I share a birthday gift I got at the end of last month which will make real food living even easier.

6 Diana @ Paleo Picnic August 18, 2010 at 7:06 am

My first time participating too. It’s great to be a part of this!

7 Anita August 18, 2010 at 9:19 am

Diana,
    Good to have some Paleo in here, too!

8 Jen Blacker August 18, 2010 at 7:23 am

Rainy day, got to work a bit early so I could post!

9 Elizabeth @ The Nourished Life August 18, 2010 at 8:04 am

Today we’re talking about the connection between weight and your gut. No, I’m not talking about that beer gut, I’m talking about your digestive system! Gut health is strongly connected to all areas of your health, including your weight and ability to burn fat.

10 Debbi Does Dinner Healthy August 18, 2010 at 8:12 am

Thanks for hosting!! Great recipes here!

11 lydia August 18, 2010 at 8:54 am

Thanks for hosting Kelly!!

I linked to a post on a chocolate ice cream that any chocolate lover is sure to swoon over!! ;)

12 Sarah, The Healthy Home Economist August 18, 2010 at 8:58 am

Get that toxic boxed breakfast cereal out of your pantry if you still have some in there! Here’s how to make a fantastic, delicious healthy version at home.

13 Jason@jlhealthtulsa August 18, 2010 at 9:03 am

Thank you as always for hosting! This week’s post is a Dutch Oven Pineapple U/D Cake that is fantastic and also Gluten Free!

14 Carol August 18, 2010 at 9:17 am

Thanks for hosting, I’m sharing a Southwest Chicken and Veggie Stir-fry,

15 Chandelle August 18, 2010 at 9:40 am

Wow, these are some great recipes! I posted my first attempt with homemade hot sauce. It’s a roasted green sauce that is really flavorful and simple to make. Farmer’s markets are crazy with peppers right now, so it’s a good time to put by a whole bunch, and I think it would make a good gift, too.

16 gfe--gluten free easily August 18, 2010 at 9:51 am

I linked up Lemon-Lime Coconut Basil Ice, which can be made as a frozen beverage or spoonable dessert. Light and refreshing! :-)

Thanks for hosting, Kelly!

Shirley

17 Amy @ Simply Sugar & Gluten Free August 18, 2010 at 10:13 am

I linked Stuffed Italian Chicken – simple to put together and completely delicious. I scaled the recipe for two but it can easily be doubled or tripled. Thanks for hosting, Kelly!

18 Primal Toad August 18, 2010 at 12:30 pm

I am sharing 5 awesome primal/paleo green smoothie recipes. Enjoy!

19 Ashley August 18, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Thanks so much for hosting Real Food Wednesday! This week I’m reviewing Tropical Traditions, gold label virgin coconut oil.

20 Bethany August 18, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Hi there! I have a post about this quotation from Lin Yutang: “What is patriotism but the love of the food one ate as a child?”

21 Liz August 18, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Wow, so many good ideas! I posted yummy apple cinnamon muffins, they filled my house with the YUMMIEST smells while baking and they tasted even better than they smelled! Hope you all enjoy!

22 April August 18, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Sorry about the double link–I didn’t think it went through the first time :)

23 Durga Fuller August 18, 2010 at 4:13 pm

I posted a belated ‘how to travel when you eat outside the cultural norm’ article, and a recipe for Lacto-fermented Mayonnaise – a food group of it’s own around here!

Thanks again for hosting, Kelly!

24 Penny August 18, 2010 at 7:01 pm

This week I posted a homemade version of quick baking mix (aka Bisquick) made with butter (or beef tallow) instead of solid shortening. Also included a drop biscuit recipe too.

25 Alex at A Moderate Life August 18, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Hey Kel! Sorry I am late, but it’s been crazy here! I am sharing a GREAT guest post by Jason of Alternative Health and Nutrition News on what to do to go gluten free if you have intolerance or Celiac Disease. Since so many folks who eat a standard American diet are having issues, I thought it would be great to get more information out there so they dont feel so overwhelmed and alone. Thanks for sharing your space with us today! :) Alex

26 Christy August 18, 2010 at 11:40 pm

I made green beans – delicious and full of yummy bacon!

27 Lisa @ Real Food Digest August 19, 2010 at 10:53 am

Thanks for hosting Kelly.
    I’m sharing a recipe for Rosemary and Olive No-Knead Bread adapted from my favorite bread book.

28 Genie August 25, 2010 at 9:55 am

First time participating here. Hope newcomers are welcome. I posted an easy way to prepare summer squash.

29 Cathy Payne September 15, 2010 at 9:47 am

I’m posting about an awesome meal I prepared from $4.00 worth of grass-fed “meaty soup bones” that were actually nice shank sections! We’re processing our first grass fed lambs this week. I am blessed to eat great local and nutrient dense food!