Real Food Wednesday 7/14/10

July 14, 2010 · 47 comments

RealFoodWednesdays

It’s that crazy time of the week where you entice us with your links and comments to go check out your blogs and your great REAL FOOD tips and ideas!  (If you’re a blogger, you’ll draw some good traffic to your site…)

What to remember:

1. A link back to this post please. (Blog carnival etiquette you know!)
  2. Retweet and stumble this post and also any sites you visit – this will get more exposure to all of us, thank you!
  3. Don’t have a blog?  We still want to hear from you!  Please leave your tips or recipes in the comments.

1 Michelle@Traditional Simplicity July 14, 2010 at 12:49 am

I am really enjoying getting to know a lot of the real food bloggers online. Today, I share something that has been weighing on my mind. I want to be honest with you all and honest with myself. So, here is my “Real Food Disclaimer.” If you stop by, please leave a comment, sharing your thoughts. I’d love to get to know each of you all better and learn from you. Thanks!

2 healy July 14, 2010 at 1:32 am

yeah you are right and I get used to it. . .This help me to write more eventhough my blog is not too personal because some of my friends share there ideas and thoughts but still It keeps me alive each day. I love my blog, it’s my newest baby and it’s all about general health. Where you can find lots of information and general issues. If you want yo stop by just leave a comment. I have to say that I am really enjoying your articles. There is a lot of good information here. I will be coming back soon for some more reading.

Thanks, Kelly

3 butterpoweredbike July 14, 2010 at 12:57 am

Whew, I’m glad it’s Wednesday, it’s been a long hot week already. At least I can look forward to reading all of the great recipes here. This week, I’ve got a little summer gem which can be made with some of the season’s finest – tomatoes, canteloupe, and basil. The soup is served chilled, and is mildly sweet, but not overbearing – perfect for eating on the hottest days.

4 Lisa July 14, 2010 at 12:58 am

This week I

5 Peggy July 14, 2010 at 1:03 am

Coconut M&Ms in limited release play upon two foods that are honestly very good for us. Sadly, what’s in the little packages isn’t real food. But I share a couple good alternatives if coconut and chocolate get your mouth watering!

6 Alex at A Moderate Life July 14, 2010 at 1:07 am

LOL i sit here waiting patiently and hit refresh and refresh and bam, tons of links ahead of me! Kel, you have infected me with your be the first poster mentality! LMAO!!! My article today is based on YOUR posting the trailer to the movie food matters and it made me realize I had seen a GREAT interview with my favorite foodie hearthrob Mark Bittman on His book Food Matters. So please check it out, especially if you are relatively new to real food! :) Thanks as always Kel for sharing the real food love with us! Alex

7 Stanley Fishman July 14, 2010 at 1:29 am

My post this week is about Chaffin Family Orchards, a truly sustainable farm which uses no chemicals, yet produces a wonderful variety of superb fruit, grassfed meat, and a wonderful olive oil.

8 Michelle (Health Food Lover) July 14, 2010 at 3:30 am

This week I’m sharing a recipe for a Sweet Breakfast Omelette. It’s like a delicious crepe only completely grain free! It was really yummy and a great alternative to savoury omelette!

Thanks for hosting Kelly!

9 Sarah, The Healthy Home Economist July 14, 2010 at 4:04 am

Kids got me up – so here I am commenting at this hour! :))

Hope you all enjoy this article which challenges the conventional thinking that brown rice is the better choice over white. Could it be that white has its own advantages?

10 Janet (Pantry Bites) July 14, 2010 at 4:49 am

My contribution this week is Spring Onion Salad with Tamari Sesame Dressing. It’s a Korean recipe and often served alongside Korean BBQ.

11 Bethany July 14, 2010 at 6:54 am

I’ve done a post about frying chicken fingers with coconut oil in a deep fryer. A lot of work, but yum!

12 Elizabeth @ The Nourished Life July 14, 2010 at 7:18 am

Matt Stone and I paired up this week and did a great Q and A about meal spacing and intermittent fasting. Which is ideal, 3 or 6 meals per day? What’s the difference? Is intermittent fasting safe? We get into the hormonal mechanisms behind meal frequency so we can see how it really affects the body.

13 Wendy (The Local Cook) July 14, 2010 at 7:46 am

My post today is for meatballs, which is pretty mundane but I just realized it’s the first time I’ve ever made meatballs, as opposed to buying them frozen LOL. My I’ve come a long way!

14 Crystal July 14, 2010 at 8:28 am

Today’s post is a recipe for Mini Veggie Frittatas. Super easy and a great way to use leftover veggies!

15 pam July 14, 2010 at 8:44 am

My first time participating!! Tomato and Zucchini pasta is a great way to use up the mountains of tomatoes and zucchini we get right about now.

16 Jason@jlhealthtulsa July 14, 2010 at 9:49 am

This week’s post is a GF Poached King Salmon recipe from a 5* restaurant! Thanks for hosting!!

Jason

17 Soli @ I Believe in Butter July 14, 2010 at 9:54 am

This week I believe in herring. If you already don’t, perhaps you might want to give this little fish a try after reading my post.

18 Mindy M July 14, 2010 at 11:02 am

I love all the Real Food recipies every week! We have an abundance of zucchini in the garden so I am making zucchini fritters.

19 Sheri aka Mom July 14, 2010 at 11:14 am

Today we have a great, guest post by Edwin Shank. He has a raw dairy farm in PA and I wish we lived closer! :-)

20 Ashley July 14, 2010 at 11:42 am

Thanks for hosting Realfood Wednesday! I ask a question today about holidays and realfood. Should we just relax and eat what everyone brings or should we stick to our guns and try to stay away from junk?

21 Diana@Spain in Iowa July 14, 2010 at 11:50 am

Thanks for hosting Kelly :D Today I’m sharing homemade baked beans using natural sweeteners :D So delicious and yummy!!

22 Christine July 14, 2010 at 12:27 pm

My post is a super yummy recipe for soaked pumpkin muffins. Enjoy!

23 Sally July 14, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Tangy Lemon Raspberry Scones – made with sprouted wheat flour:

Have ready the zest of one lemon (should equal 1 T plus 1 tsp, if not zest another lemon) and 2 T melted butter.

Mix together 1 tsp of the lemon zest and 1 T of sugar (evaporated cane juice). Set aside for topping the scones.

Mix together:
    2 C sprouted wheat flour
    1/4 C sugar (evaporated cane juice)
    1 T aluminim free baking powder
    1 T lemon zest
    Mix until blended then add 1 C frozen/fresh raspberries.
    Mix gently then add 1 1/4 C cream.
    Mix gently and pour out onto lightly floured surface.
    Form into a flat round and cut into 8 wedges.
    Space evenly on buttered baking sheet. Brush with the melted butter and sprinkle withthe lemon zest and sugar mixture.
    Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
    Enjoy!

24 Primal Toad July 14, 2010 at 4:26 pm

I am sharing my second post on nuts nutrition. People love nuts, but they should be consumed only as a snack or as a topping to other foods.

A lot of people like almond four. I have never purchased almond flour and I am not sure when I will. The omega 6 content in nuts is just too high. Read my post to decide for yourself which nuts you should eat and which ones you should avoid. I go through the final 5 in this post while I covered the top 4 in part 1.

Enjoy!

25 CarmenV July 14, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Thanks for hosting Kelly! Today’s post, Sweetened Pau D’Arco Tea, a good cleanser when you need it.

blessings~Carmen

26 Winnie July 14, 2010 at 6:33 pm

I linked to a great tabouli recipe featuring amaranth and lots of fresh herbs…perfect for summer.

27 Penny July 14, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Sorry for the duplicate entery. First time posting and I know where to add the name of the post. Cooked dried beans in my crockpot (too hot for the stove top) and used them to make Chickpea and lentil salad. I also have the directions for the beans on my website at http://plate-by-plate.com/cooking-dried-beans-in-your-crockpot . I look forward to joining Real Food Wednesday again :)

28 Julie July 14, 2010 at 8:12 pm
    29 Karen July 14, 2010 at 8:20 pm

This week I share a recipe for a rise-to-top blackberry cobbler, made with berries that weren’t being eaten fast enough. It’s a flexible recipe and can be adapted to most sweeteners. Thanks Kelly!

30 Tamlynn July 15, 2010 at 12:12 am

Obvious newbie here. Yummy fruit leather at my house!

31 Julie July 15, 2010 at 6:52 pm

I linked a post to the two kinds of dolmades I made this week, a variation with collard greens and bulgur, and a vegetarian variation making use of fresh grape leaves from my backyard.