Real Food Wednesday 5/5/10

May 5, 2010 · 41 comments

Real Food Wednesdays

Happy Real Food Wednesday and if this is your first time, WELCOME!  Unless I’m mistaken (always a strong chance of that), last week was a Real Food Wednesday record!  We had 62 links and 9 Tweets.  I don’t know how to check how many Stumbles, can someone clue me in?  The more of you that stumble, retweet this and link back here (always good blog carnival manners!), the more exposure it will bring for all of us.  :)

REMEMBER!

If you don’t have a blog, leave your tips or recipes or whatever is on your mind in the comments.

ARE YOU A FACEBOOK FAN YET?!

I hope you’ll go to my Kitchen Kop page and “like” it.  :)

I can’t wait to see what you all have to share today!

1 butterpoweredbike May 5, 2010 at 12:23 am

As always, Kelly, sincerely, thank you for hosting.

Since spring has sprung, I’ve been having quite a bit of fun foraging for wild foods. And in the spirit of adventure, I decided to culture dandelion buds in an effort to make a mock caper. And it worked!

2 Celia May 5, 2010 at 6:47 am

Can you share what you did and how? I am a novice at gathering and eating wild edibles and I have never heard of culturing dandelion buds!

Thanks in advance…

–Celia–

3 Jason@jlhealthtulsa May 5, 2010 at 12:29 am

Congrats on your carnival record!! Last week was my very first time participating in carnivals and you were my first link.

4 Joyful Abode May 5, 2010 at 2:23 am

Great stuff! :) I’m having fun checking out the other links.

Just posted my chocolate chip peanut butter cake… grain free/gluten free. And it was SO GOOD. I’m making it again tomorrow with cocoa powder added.

5 lisa May 5, 2010 at 2:26 am

Hi,
    I’m sharing some yummy recipes for butternut squash- it’s not fully spring here! :)

6 Stanley Fishman May 5, 2010 at 2:35 am

This week

7 Janet (Pantry Bites) May 5, 2010 at 4:24 am

I’m contributing a very simple recipe for completely sugar free coconut macaroons. Only ingredients are egg whites and coconut.

8 Wendy (The Local Cook) May 5, 2010 at 5:17 am

Thank you for hosting this carnival, I always find great ideas!

9 Peggy May 5, 2010 at 6:25 am

My 9×13 Pyrex pan exploded in the oven. Photo and a cautionary tale in today’s link.

10 Melissa @Cellulite Investigation May 5, 2010 at 7:11 am

We’ve got some newbies to the Real Food movement over at the Cellulite Investigation, and they could use some advice on how to get more coconut oil into the diet. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

11 Ellen@BodyEarth May 5, 2010 at 9:05 am

Kelly, I’m sharing some musings about how much I love researching diet and nutrition. Also, I hope to remain flexible in my views, even though I feel like “Real Foods” are here to stay!

12 Kelly @ Sweet Bay Farm May 5, 2010 at 9:22 am

We’ve all heard reasons for avoiding GMO foods, but have you heard much about the farms that grow GMO crops? We’ve found a “real food” strategy for dealing with disastrous effects of GMO crops on our farm. Thanks for hosting!

13 Crystal @ Meet Miss Jones May 5, 2010 at 9:46 am

This week’s post is about chia seeds, a traditional food from the aztecs and mayan natives. It also includes a quick and easy recipe for Chia Fresca!

14 Millie @ Real Food for Less Money May 5, 2010 at 10:01 am

How exciting to break a record!

My little Lulu is our ‘Milkshake Maker’. I’ve linked our favorite chocolate shake that she makes for us on a regular basis.

15 Denise Therese May 5, 2010 at 10:19 am

Wow! I like breaking records. :D

Enjoy my gluten-free, sugar-free, grain-free pumpkin pie!

16 Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother May 5, 2010 at 10:36 am

Kelly, I finally wrote something about the NuVal scoring system. I thought you had mentioned it before, but that was Kristen. I’d like to see your spin on it.

17 Amber May 5, 2010 at 10:50 am

I linked a Cucumber Yogurt Sauce or Soup recipe.

18 Joanie May 5, 2010 at 11:18 am

I decided to go for an amazingly simple, warm breakfast recipe of roasted bananas. Yum! Not pretty to look at, but oh so good . . .

19 Meg May 5, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I wrote about a dish I make – I call it “omelet” – that is delicious, nourishing, and at the whim of your creativity. It’s a staple dish in our home!

20 Alex at A Moderate Life May 5, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Happy hump day! My article today is a list of items you must have to set up a healthy traditional cooking kitchen and the wish list as well. Enjoy! Off to slice my no-knead sourdough bread and let you know if I was successful this time! Thanks again to Kel for sharing her awesome space!

21 Christina @ Spoonfed May 5, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Posting this week about the movie “Two Angry Moms.” There’s a 10-minute preview on my site, as well as links to some other thoughtful pieces on school-food reform.

Spoonfed: Raising kids to think about the food they eat

22 Chandelle May 5, 2010 at 1:15 pm

I was able to put some safeguards in place, so my blog is up and running again! Today I shared a recipe for tequila lime sherbet, which I made with coconut milk, avocado, and fresh lime juice. Oh, and tequila. :) Sometimes it’s nice to indulge.

23 Angie May 5, 2010 at 3:10 pm

My first time here! Can’t wait to find some yummy recipes!

24 sarah henry May 5, 2010 at 4:09 pm

I’m new to this, so apologies if I didn’t do it write (see #45 above). Figured it was a good place to include my most recent post of women farmers & sustainable food females featured in the new book, Farmer Jane. Thanks for hosting.

My whole site, lettuce eat kale, is food focused, as the name suggests. So come check me out. Cheers, Sarah

25 Michelle (Health Food Lover) May 5, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Hi Everyone.

I’ve posted a tea recipe using purple basil flowers and orange zest. The flowers are very pretty and the tea is really refreshing!

26 Sarah, The Healthy Home Economist May 5, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Here’s my own, very simple steak tartare recipe along with a hilarious, short, video or Mr. Bean eating steak tartare in a restaurant to get your day started with a good laugh!

27 Ren May 5, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Barria Jalisciense, Slow-braised Texas Cabrito (young goat) in the Jalisco-style, with guajillo chiles, cumin, cider vinegar, cinnamon and cloves..

28 Robin May 5, 2010 at 11:46 pm

Ren-you made me laugh! I saw your post above and thought “that sounds like the one I’ve made from my Rick Bayless book” and when I clicked over, there was your recipe, along with “adapted from Rick Bayless”! hehe…:-D

Although, I used his variation from Mexican Everyday with a chuck roast in the crockpot with potatoes, but it was AWESOME!!

29 Kelly @ Quest for Real Food May 6, 2010 at 9:46 am

Thank you for hosting this!! I did not post my “Why Local? Wednesday” post until late last night, so I just added the link this morning. I wrote about the topic/issue of Food Deserts and a lack of real food where it is desperately needed.