Real Food Wednesday 9/16/09 – Add YOUR Real Food Tips or Recipes!

September 16, 2009 · 34 comments

kk_rfw.jpg

• Here’s my new post today for Real Food Wednesday:  “The 6 Week Cure for the Middle-Aged Middle
  • Say a prayer for Ann Marieshe’s having one technical nightmare after another, including the nasty WordPress worm, so she won’t be posting until she gets things cleaned up.
  • A WAY WE COULD USE YOUR HELP! Ann Marie and I are thinking of updating our Real Food Wednesday logo to something really cool, if any of you have some suggestions for us, please let us know!  Make sure any ideas you send are pictures or graphics that we can use without copyright issues – thanks!

Now it’s your turn, and don’t forget, we’re still stumbling all RFW posts so you get more traffic to your blog by joining in here!

Please remember your blog carnival manners: always link back to this post in your post.

Don’t have a blog?

We still want to hear from you in the comments below!  Thank you!  :)

1 Dawn @ SmallFootprintFamily September 16, 2009 at 2:49 am

This week I’ve posted a recipe for Watermelon Rind Pickles. I really don’t know if these can be made with traditional lacto-fermentation since the rinds need to be softened by cooking and then made sweet with sugar. If anyone knows how I can make these by lacto-fermenting without whey (allergic), I’d love to know!

2 Amy Green (Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free) September 16, 2009 at 10:02 am

I have been making ratatouille – my friend has a huge garden and her plants are still producing great veggies – much more than she can use – so she sends them my way. I can’t help but make my favorite veggie dish.

And the chickpea pancakes, or socca, are so simple to make and completely delicious. My hubby loves them – he was a pizza kind of guy when we met but made-from-scratch food has won him over!

3 Catherine @ Healthy Fit Mom September 16, 2009 at 10:21 am

I was bothered about the fructose content in Sugar Water Kefir so I did some research. I found out some information that stunned me. Fructose is known to cause non alcoholic fatty liver disease, insulin resistance, diabetes, obesity, heart disease and cancer. Find out how pathogenic gut bacteria play a role in these horrible diseases that are so prevalent today and why I am still drinking water kefir despite the fructose.

4 leah September 16, 2009 at 10:53 am

I came up with a healthy chocolate chunk recipe that won’t melt at room temperature like the ones in NT. They make great cookies!

5 Real Food Mama September 16, 2009 at 11:05 am

This year we planted some fruit trees so as to enlarge our food production and I made the first apple pie of the fall season with our very own apples!

The results were deliciously tart and comforting.

Looking forward to reading everyone’s posts on this rainy day!

– RFM

6 KitchenKop September 16, 2009 at 11:11 am

You all did a great job in your comments of *hooking* me and making me want to read your posts – can’t wait ’til I have a chance later! :)

7 Tina September 16, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Sorry Kelly, this isn’t a tip but I wanted to know about your raw milk. What breed of cow does your raw milk (and dairy) come from? I just learned about A1 and A2 casein proteins from Jenny at Nourished Kitchen. I get my milk from a farm that has Brown Swiss cows. I’ve emailed them and they said that their cows produce mostly A2. But I can’t find any information on exactly how much A2 and A1 casein is produced in Brown Swiss cows. There’s plently of info on Guernsey and Jersey cows and how much A1 and A2 is produced but not anything on Brown Swiss.

I wanted to know if anyone else gets raw milk from Brown Swiss cows and knows more info.

I also emailed Kerrygold where I get my cheese and butter to see what breed their cows were. I get all my butter and cheese from Kerrygold and I’m hopeful that their cows are of a breed that produces A2.

Thanks!

8 Lisa Sargese September 16, 2009 at 1:06 pm

Recipe for recovery from adrenal fatigue with Real Food and the nourishing traditions life way. Also, scroll down for a GREAT video on tips for eating and preparing real food in a tiny NY kitchen from hip Weston A. Pricer Donna Sonkin!

9 Wardeh @ GNOWFGLINS September 16, 2009 at 1:18 pm

I’m sharing an easy method (from a reader) for making yummy raw cream cheese from homemade buttermilk. Thanks, Kelly! And I will pray for Ann Marie – I wondered where she’d gone.

10 Shelley September 16, 2009 at 1:53 pm

I made a soaked granola recipe that has finally made me stop wanting my old from-the-box organic cereal (imagine how many people still think it’s good for them!) I’m sad to hear Ann Marie’s having trouble-I just tried to bring up her page to link to (my recipe is based on hers) luckily I’d already linked to it in a previous post.

11 CHEESESLAVE September 16, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Great posts, everyone!

Thanks for your prayers, Wardeh.

I am still here — just trying to get our websites back up and running. The security team at our hosting company is reviewing our sites now. Our server is still crashing daily so it’s best for me not to blog or do anything until they get it figured out.

Make sure you upgrade to the latest version of Wordpress and beware all plugins! (I got hacked both ways — due to not upgrading Wordpress and due to a Twitter Tools plugin I was using)

12 KitchenKop September 16, 2009 at 3:41 pm

Tina, our cows are Jerseys, sorry I can’t help you with the Brown Swiss question!

13 Teena September 16, 2009 at 6:24 pm

We have used canned chicken breast for many years to make many different meals. Since seeing Food Inc. I started to rethink all the food I buy. I like the convenience of canned chicken but am pretty sure the chicken is not free range. I e-mailed Swanson (aka – Campbells) to see if they had any organic, free range, grass fed, GMO, chemical free products. The following is the “canned” resposnse I received:

we received your message and appreciate your taking the time to contact Campbell Soup Company to express your point of view on the issue of genetically modified ingredients in food.
    At Campbell, our number one priority is to delight our consumers. We constantly strive to deliver foods that are good tasting, nutritionally healthy and of the highest quality. Each of the foods produced by Campbell meets all Federal Government requirements for safety.

Currently, the U.S supply of corn and soybeans includes a mix of genetically modified and conventional crops. Our use of genetically modified ingredients is primarily restricted to the corn and soybeans in this supply. We carefully follow the labeling regulations of each country in which our products are sold. Where required, genetically modified ingredients are noted on the label.

The application of genetics and biotechnology to agriculture is helping farmers improve crop yields while reducing the use of pesticides. Genetically modified crops are thoroughly tested for safety. Many, including corn and soybean, have been safely used around the world for more than a decade.

I hope I’ve been able to address your concern.

Thank you for visiting the Campbell Soup Company website.

Needless to say, I won’t be buying canned chicken.

14 Tina September 16, 2009 at 7:03 pm

I just got an email response from the owner of the dairy regarding A2 in milk:

There are currently no tests available for betacasein in dairy cows in this country. Other farmers assume that Jerseys have less A1 then Holsteins but this is not true. Guernseys (our current bull included) are the only breed that is significantly “better” or higher in A2. Tarentaise and Brown Swiss are as high or higher in A2 than Jerseys. American Holsteins are not different form Jerseys but are “better” than European Holstein-Friesians.

She and her husband are vets so I trust them. I’m so concerned about the A1 betcasein because autoimmune diseases run rampant in my mother’s side of the family. And A1 in milk (and diary products) could be the cause. I paid for the raw milk we currently get through next summer, I will then try and get raw goat’s milk which is %100 A2 betacasien.

15 KitchenKop September 16, 2009 at 7:34 pm

Tina, thanks for sharing this – as I’m sure there are others who are wondering about that, too. I need to research this more…

Teena, that is just amazing! Campbell ought to be EMBARRASSED to send out a letter like that! Many, including corn and soybean, have been safely used around the world for more than a decade. Oh, for a whole whopping DECADE? That’s comforting!! Another comforting statement (NOT): Each of the foods produced by Campbell meets all Federal Government requirements for safety. Give me a break…

16 Ren September 16, 2009 at 10:15 pm

At 41% sugar by weight, there

17 Tina September 17, 2009 at 11:00 am

Kelly, Here’s another email I got from the dairy owner where I get my raw milk on the topic of A2:

I have read about this topic several times. The last I checked, the reserach was at the exact level of the national diet and heart disease studies that were used to vilify cholesterol/animal fat consumption. I have read the 2 original studies which lumped dairy herd by nation into groups added consumption data and looked at disease rates. This VERY exploratory and speculative.

I noticed several incorrect generalization by Dr. Cowan. In fact, Holsteins in Europe (including French Holsteins) have much higher levels of the mutation than American Holsteins. Also, Jerseys have high levels of the original sequence but are not all A2. In fact, one can buy Jersey, Holstein and Shorthorn semen from New Zealand that specifies this and 2 other casein genotypes. Brown Swiss and associated breeds have similar levels of the mutation. No breed has escaped interbreeding in Europe, Africa or Asia.

I have contacted the company twice to try to get A2 testing done on my animals but my calls were never returned. I heard that they are no longer offering the service in this country.

18 Tina September 17, 2009 at 11:37 am

Have Big Agriculture hacked into Real Food Media website? :)

19 Mpls Mom September 18, 2009 at 4:28 pm

I’m confused about the Coconut Pie offered above – I was excited to see it on the list, but looking at the ingredient list (and the picture) it seems there’s not much real food in that recipe…

20 KitchenKop September 21, 2009 at 12:23 am

Tina, still some major technical difficulties at the RFM website – bummer! Hopefully it will be on the mend soon, but probably not for a little while yet…everything takes so much longer than you think it will. Say a prayer for Ann Marie as she deals with all that stuff.

Mpls Mom, I know, if you read the comments there you’ll see some ideas myself and others had for adapting it. :)

21 Dana September 25, 2009 at 1:21 am

I think the A2 idea is interesting but am not convinced yet. There are so many other reasons the body can go wonky, and people have enjoyed dairy in their traditional diets for so long without apparent negative consequences that I really think people ought to look at other possibilities for why these diseases develop.

That letter from Swanson’s/Campbell’s is weaselly. If they really cared about their customers and not just about what’ll get the customers spending, they’d ALWAYS label the foods with GMOs in them. I’ve known people who don’t care about the GMO issue but who want to see labeling anyway because they don’t understand why people can’t know exactly what they’re buying. If they can get on board with this, why can’t Big Food?

22 Zoe October 8, 2009 at 1:10 pm

In response to Dana’s comment — it’s worth it to read ‘Devil in the Milk” to understand the controversy and what’s fueling it. Doing so will also provide clues about why A1 might negatively affect some and not others.