Hey friends, it's been a while since I've done a mix-up post, so hopefully you're not all off camping for the holiday — maybe you're having a nice chill weekend around home like we are. Has anyone else out there vowed to NEVER camp again? Ohhh it just feels good to reiterate that… The last time we went cured Kent and I for life.
Check out the pizzas we made the other day!
For one we just made this simple sloppy Joe pizza (a good way to do something different with your sloppy Joe leftovers), but for the other one, we were trying to recreate a pizza we had with our son in Detroit from a place called Ottava Via that is now everyone's family favorite. I was fresh out of foie gras and rosemary apple butter, but winged it with the rest. We used bacon, onions caramelized with balsamic vinegar, a little bit of homemade apple sauce, cooked potatoes, arugula and spinach, parmesan, and pastured eggs on top — weird ingredients, right? It's like breakfast and a crazy mix of yumminess all together in your mouth. As expected, it wasn't as good as we had hoped (I think I need a pizza oven!), but it was darn close. Check out the actual picture of when we had it in Detroit.
Our summer has been really nice with a little less running around, but it's that time of year where I have to wrap up homeschooling stuff from last year and get going on finding curriculum for the coming year — it's July and I'm not even close to being on top of things, yikes! We've been too busy having fun. Last week the kids and I went to Traverse City with family — we went to the sand dunes and then on a neat hike through the woods that takes you back to this awesome view of Lake Michigan:
What have you done so far this summer? More importantly, have you eaten anything extra tasty lately?
I hope you like what I've pulled together for you below from ALL over the real food and natural health online world. There's a lot here (I always have trouble narrowing it down), so just scroll through to see what grabs you.
Topics are bolded so you can easily skim…
- You probably know that broth is a great way to add minerals and vital nutrients to our diets, but some still may be new to making bone broth. There are easy instructions and info here: Bone Broth for Rookies. Also, here's a great conversation about making bone broth. And as easy as it is to make, if you just don't think you would make it or you're really crunched for time, check out my new sponsors here — they make real 100% grass-fed bone broth with a bunch of gelatin, organic ingredients, and it's shelf stable! I love keeping their beef and chicken broth on-hand for quick recipes because they make it just like I do here, and without the nasty msg-like ingredients, additives, or preservatives that store-bought has. ***Get 15% off with the code: KOP15.
- You guys are NOT going to believe this… Sam Girod was sentenced Friday (keep in mind there were never ANY victims, no one was hurt, never even any complaints EVER). According to a Sally Oh update: He got 6 years in prison, 3 years probation, and small fines. Read the back story here. Read a report from the courtroom and more details on sentencing here.
- I love this: “There are so many great health coaches and practitioners out there struggling to pay the bills… and there are so many people that need their help. Our mission: To help those great practitioners create their dream online health consulting practice so all those people can get the help they need.” The Practitioner Project.
- Hate flying bugs? I found this organic spray to get rid of all those pesky summertime annoyances. If you've tried it let us know!
- I can't believe the huge price difference between the bigger 8 quart Instant Pot and the pressure cooker I got (and LOVE). Click here if you need to know HOW to use one with my simple instructions.
- Have sex, live longer? According to this article, 5 Ways Having Sex is Good for Your Health, having sex three times a week is not only good for our hearts, but it also builds our immune system and may help us live longer. Fun news, right? And did you see my recent post: Don’t Give Up: Strive for Passion in Your Marriage?
- This is a little rant from a while back about Facebook, in case you wondered how things worked with bloggers and trying to get things seen on there… The article I posted is SUCH an important one (people need to know this to prevent things like heart attacks and kidney stones!) and FB didn't let it get out! This stuff is ongoing, so whenever you see my posts over on FB, if you could share them, I'd be super grateful.
- Here's a picture of when we went out to dinner with some friends recently, it was such a beautiful early summer night. We took a ride in their boat over to the other side the lake to eat at the Bostwick Lake Inn. Their Walleye dinner is what I always order there (notice the aioli that comes with it-YUM) — of course I had to get extra butter with mine, and on the left are the roasted brussels that are my FAV.
- Maybe you already have a filter for your drinking water (did you see my post about why we ditched RO water and what we got instead?) But are you worried about what you're putting on your garden, bathing your pets with, or the water your kids are playing in outside this summer? Check out this garden filter, it removes Chlorine, Chloramines, VOCs, & Pesticides/Herbicides!
- Did you catch these recent posts? Here are a few in case you missed them:
- Is Buying Organic Food Worth it? Does it even Matter? A Point-by-Point Response to this Burning Question
- Finding Real Food on Vacation… in Alaska?! — Read about our trip!
- Kent’s 5 Favorite Meals & 5 Favorite Kitchen Gadgets for Dads Who Love to Cook
- Support From Your Spouse in the Kitchen — why my Hubs is awesome.
- Bunless Burger Bonanza… with a Secret Ingredient
- WE Can Help Ban Glyphosate — Real Foodies UNITE and Big Brother Be Gone!
- Ideas for “Be Your Own Boss Jobs” — Flexible Lifestyle and Earn Up to Six Figures (Plus how I earn money around here)
- I’m Not Normal
- How to Take FREE Vacations (or DIRT Cheap) and Save More Money for Real Food
Have a good rest of your holiday weekend everyone!
(Affiliate links may be included in this post. Check out my affiliate disclaimer here.)