Egg Roll in a Bowl
This can be meatless or you can add in some ground Italian sausage (from a farm you trust) to kick up the flavor and nutrients even more. Everything can be made in one pan so there's less to clean up. :)
Servings: 4 servings
- 4 Tablespoons avocado oil or sesame oil for frying, more as needed
- 1.5 sweet onions, conventional is ok with onions since they're not high on the Dirty Dozen list!
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup celery chopped small
- 1 pound Italian sausage, optional, from a farm you trust If you don't have a good source for local, safe meats, here's where I trust to buy pastured meats online.
- 2 Eggs, optional
- 1.5 Tablespoons organic brown sugar, you can certainly omit this, but adds a bit more flavor to the dish
- 1 big head cabbage chopped, green is fine or purple cabbage too, OR a bag of organic cabbage slaw works!
- 2 carrots grated, or again, a bag of organic julienned carrots
- 3/4 cup peas
- 1/2 cup fermented soy sauce
- 1-2 Tablespoons of your favorite Sriracha sauce
- About 1-2" fresh ginger grated (depends on how much you like)
- 4-5 shakes crushed red pepper more or less depending on how much of a spicy bite you like
- Sea salt and pepper -- but taste it first before adding salt to see if it needs it since soy sauce is salty.
- 1 -2 bunches green onions chopped
- 1/8 cup Toasted sesame seeds, optional
- 3 cups cooked rice, optional (if you're not watching your carbs or you want to fill your family up more) or another idea for a tasty filler: brush wonton wrappers with avocado or sesame oil and bake 'til crispy and serve on the side.