Meatball Sub Casserole
Note that this recipe feeds about 4-6 people, whether making just meatball subs or the meatball sub casserole. A double batch made 2-9×13’s and 1 square pan. I put an extra casserole in the freezer for one of ‘those days’ when I don’t have time to cook!
- 1/4 Stick of butter – for buttering the 11×14 glass baking dish.
- One loaf of bread. I used a loaf of fermented bread from our local baker. I tried to find some thick Italian bread at the store like Mary Jo suggested, but couldn’t find any without trans fats and high fructose corn syrup! ***See the comments below for some great grain-free options!
- Cream cheese mixture — see recipe below.
- Meatballs — see recipe below. Here's where you an find a healthy source for safe meat.
- 24 ounces or so of your favorite pasta/spaghetti/marinara sauce. I use organic sauce from a glass jar.
- 2 cups of shredded mozzarella and/or Parmesan cheese — or both.
Butter the bottom of an 11×14 glass baking dish. Place thick slices of bread in the bottom of the pan. Spread cream cheese mixture on top of each slice of bread. Be generous, this is the best part! Place meatballs on the bread. Spread pasta/spaghetti sauce on top. Sprinkle cheese around. Bake at 350* for 35-45 minutes until hot and cheese is melted.
Whether making your own red sauce or a jar of organic like I use, try adding a splash of your favorite red wine for extra wonderful flavor!
TO MAKE THIS KETO-FRIENDLY:
I put some meatballs on a small parchment-paper lined pan. Spoon over some marinara and the cream cheese mixture, sprinkle lots of cheese on top, then bake or broil 'til the cheese is melted and everything is hot. Eat it just like that and you'll be in heaven!