Fajitas with Grassfed Flank Steak
This is not difficult, but it's a multi-step recipe, so look it over well before you begin. :)
- 1 handful of any fresh or dried herbs you might have on hand: parsley and thyme are my favorites.
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon Tobasco sauce or a couple shakes of cayenne pepper
- 3 Tablespoons honey – raw honey is always best OR palm sugar is fine too
- 1/2 cup fermented soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons lemon or lime juice, organic is best
- 1/2 cup Olive oil or avocado oil
- 4-5 cloves fresh garlic crushed, or 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger grated or 1 teaspoon dried ginger
- 1 grassfed flank steak or however much meat is enough for your family--we use 3 of them for our family of 6 because we like leftovers, so increase the marinade ingredients as needed. Here’s where to buy healthy, safe meat online if you don’t have a good local source.
Optional sides (we have all of these usually!):
Between one and three days before serving (the longer the better), marinate your grassfed flank steak in the above marinade. You can use a big 2 gallon baggie or a big bowl. Just mix up the marinade and make sure the meat is covered. Keep refrigerated. Each day flip the meat over, to make sure all sides get all the flavors and herbs on it.
I normally use some variation of the above ingredients, and amounts aren’t exact–just make sure you have enough marinade to cover the meat well.
Serving day instructions:
Prepare your sides and toppings as indicated in the links above. Grill the meat slowly over indirect heat until it’s done the way you like it. Remember it cooks a little more after you pull it off. Slice thin pieces of steak diagonally. This really does make a difference in the tenderness of the meat for some reason. Serve on tortillas with any sides that you like, or I make a big bowl of rice and lettuce and add meat and other sides on top of that.
This is a great recipe if you're feeding some who are gluten free, or if you have some picky eaters, because everyone can pick and choose their toppings and be happy no matter what!